Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2007, 16:14   #16
R&B

Boat: 39 Privilege catamaran
We have the 39 (1992) great liveaboard great cruiser....have not seen many in the northern chesapeake. I have been looking for an owners association for a while but have not found one yet. If you hear of any let us know..Avg speeds just like dave 6-7 knots....has potential for more but I baby her.....
R&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 19:15   #17

Boat: Privilege 37
Our privilege carries an amazing amount of weight and is still a decent sailing vessel. What surprised me the most was how much better it sails when we took a LOT of stuff off! I used to think it was just a dog. Nope, it was the captain's fault, he just put too much stuff on it.

But, 6 knots is still not too bad for a heavily loaded cruiser. I don't recall another monohull that had too many more creature comforts, spares and provision than we did. At least up to about 46 foot for a monohull and 43 foot for a catamaran.

So great boat!!! The only thing I trade it in on is a 435 owner version with the galley down. They have the same layout, but give you a bit more carrying capacity.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 07:38   #18

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Quote:
Originally Posted by philip van praag
uncle tom cobbley and all!!
Tell your relatives to get their own boat - that should make it lighter.

Seriously, though, what is an "uncle tom cobbley"?

Mark
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 09:02   #19

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj
Tell your relatives to get their own boat - that should make it lighter.

Seriously, though, what is an "uncle tom cobbley"?

Mark
Mark....

Its a line from an old English folk song... Widdecombe Fair

Basically the saying just means 'everything or everyone you can possibly think of'.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2007, 08:37   #20

Boat: privilege 37
r&b and everyone els i was hoping that enough of you all responded and we could keep an informall owners club here so tell every one you know with a priv about us.
as i mentioned at the start of this thred fp etc seem to have ther own section.
philip van praag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2007, 05:43   #21

The privilege is tops on our list of potential buys in the future. We would love to be able to find a site with just owners so we can really find out how they are. Please let us know if you do find one or perhaps get someone to start a page. Cheers.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2007, 10:36   #22

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
The privilege is tops on our list of potential buys in the future. We would love to be able to find a site with just owners so we can really find out how they are. Please let us know if you do find one or perhaps get someone to start a page. Cheers.
look no further ask away i think this is as close as it gets to an owners page and the more we post the more it will flag up in serch engins.
so what can we tell you !!
Old 30-08-2007, 15:42   #23

Thanks philip, just everything that you have experienced with it. The good, the bad, the unexpected, etc.. And perhaps if you or anyone you know could have a direct comparison with other cats, such as they used to own a lagoon, broadblue, etc.. and now they own a Privilege, etc..

Any and all real world advice and input is always greatly appreciated. Cheers.
Old 30-08-2007, 17:27   #24

Boat: OP's boats! Charter big cats and race big monos!
Never owned a cat, but have chartered the Moorings 4000, 4200, 4300, an Island Spirit 401 and Jeannius, Mike's Privilege 435.
The Moorins (RC Cats) are functinal and do hat they are built for very well, chartering. The Island Spirit 401 is a great boat, we had an Owners version that was really comfy.
For build quality, fit, finish and the wonderful interior and over all solidness of the Privilege comes out on top by far.
The layout was very nice and well thought out, very comfortable cat and a great salor also.
If I were to live aboard anytime in the near future, th Privlege would be my choice, unless of course I was crazy rich, then it would be a Gunboat 50~!!
Saildoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2007, 17:42   #25

Sounds great to me!! Thanks for your input!! It's really good to hear people that actually live aboard for a while and really put it through its paces! Much appreciated!
Old 30-08-2007, 23:22   #26

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Thanks philip, just everything that you have experienced with it. The good, the bad, the unexpected, etc.. And perhaps if you or anyone you know could have a direct comparison with other cats, such as they used to own a lagoon, broadblue, etc.. and now they own a Privilege, etc..

Shadow...
I'll go and dig out my responses to other people's request for info on Privileges. I know I've got some somewhere in old email systems.

Where do you live? I know there'll be a Privilege at the Southampton Boat Show in the next couple of weeks.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2007, 23:26   #27

Much appreciated Jeannius, but I live in Sydney and I was just at their last boat show. They had several cats but no privilege, unfortunately. If they did, I totally missed it.. But, thank you for your help with your old e-mails.. Any and all info is always appreciated!! Cheers.
Old 31-08-2007, 06:24   #28

Quote:

shadow
we have owned and lived abord for two years the boat was 5 years old when we got her and we have spent a lot of time and money kitting out for liveaboard and long term sailing.
i dont think i could post everything that has happend in the past two years conserning the boat.
so i think its best for you to ask some questions and go from there i am sure the others will join in.
as i have said we are uk based so are of to boat show on 14th sep. any thing you want me to ask the agent.
you will see the list of kit we have abord in this thread and we have instaled most of them.
as to other cats
we had a 9m catalack before, a world apart!!
i have a friend in the uk who works for the broad blue agent and have recently dun a 24hour delivery on a 385,
would not swap for mine several things i realy hated.
but you do get what you pay for.
Old 31-08-2007, 07:47   #29

Privilege and Broadblue are two really high on my list. Since I will have the opportunity to view each boat extensively in October (including sailing a BB385 back from Annapolis) I would really appreciate some ideas of what to look for in each boat. I hope to sail a Privilege on sailday after the show.Remember, my use for the boat is a circumnavigation not just dockside liveaboard.
libellula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 10:23   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by libellula View Post
Privilege and Broadblue are two really high on my list. Since I will have the opportunity to view each boat extensively in October (including sailing a BB385 back from Annapolis) I would really appreciate some ideas of what to look for in each boat. I hope to sail a Privilege on sailday after the show.Remember, my use for the boat is a circumnavigation not just dockside liveaboard.
libellula
are you looking for new if so privilege dont make a sub 40ft any more so there is a big diferance between 385 and 435 not to mention cost so what is your budget
bb are a nice boat for the money but i think they are built down to a price were as priv's are built and then the cost dicktates the price.
i found the bb hard to sail single handed ( dont say your going with someone) as a couple you are on watch on your own. i found the mainsail track hard to operate and a simple mod would resolve this.
but there is a problem with the reef lines they are camed on the boom and the winch is in the cockpit so when i tried to take a reef out i spent 1/2 an hour go to and frow from the boom to the cockpit realy annoying would not take mutch to sort out with some redesign.
but all the blocks etc seem to be of a poor quality.
also all the string is brought back to one winch at the base of the mast this is right next to the helm and the saloon door. they market this as convient but i found it annoying as string gets fouled in the helm seat and controls and string acros the entrance.
i am also a galley down fan.
we were in seas of between 3-4 and found it realy hard to brace yourself enough to pour out a cup of tea.
the round hatches are nothing more than junk designed by idiot's fitted by penny pinching fools.
the up side is a very high volume boat and good visability from the saloon you could stand watch from there, but this does increase the windage fun when moring in windy conditions.
also priv's are a fractional rig and bb's masthead, so this makes a deferance to the layout, motion,and performance.
i know i am bias and have tried to think of some thing that is a problem with the priv's for us we have the 37 and when they streched it to 39 and made it galley up it was a poor design so if you have the money for a 40ft great of i recomend the 37 if you can find someone who will part with it.
enjoy your sail and let me know what you thought.

Tags
privilege