Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 19:02   #241

Boat: Privilege 37
I would like to know why my port bearing is so loose and the starboard was so tight. We tried with a long length of pipe to move the bottom bearing and it just bent the pipe , so that bearing is there to stay ..
privileged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 19:05   #242

It is almost a little unfair comparing the 39 to the 37. The 37s replaced the 39s as the 395 replaced the 37. The 37 are going to be newer boats and they made signifcant strides in the finishing and layout. I only had one opportunity to look at a 39. But, the two things that struck me the most was 1.) the helm position difference and 2.) the 4 cabin verses 3 cabin configuration. I was really attracted to the master/3 cabin configuration. It just gives me a sense that the boat was made for a couple and maybe some short term guest or kids. The 4 cabin always brings to mind "charter"

The steering position, as Greg pointed out, is a definately more in keeping with the way I sail. If I am at the wheel I would much prefer to be sheilded from the elements. Out in the back, for me, is less desireable.

I think sailing performance must be comparable. The hulls may be marginally narrower in the 39, but not enough to make much difference in sailing. LWL according to the stats seems to be the same.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 19:30   #243

DOCHO;

My 37 has two heads. A full head with seperate shower on the starboard side and a shower/toilet in the master cabin. We have never used the shower in the master cabin, but the head comes in handy as does the sink. We always use the shower in the starboard side. It has the advantage that both of us can shower together, saves a little water!

The starboard head does not have a holding tank. It is straight in, straight out! We retrofitted a holding tank in the port head. We put it in the port sail locker. It is a Vacuflush head so we put the pump up there too. It was not too bad to retrofit. We did have to bore a hole in the bulkhead to get the hose through, and getting electricity up into that locker was a royal pain!! (Tied to the windless supply underneath the forward bunk a routed with the other wires going to navigation lights)

I don't know how one would do this on the starboard side. The toilet is much further away from the anchor locker and the shower is in the way. I don't see any way to get that shower out short of ripping it appart and rebuilding it. They must have put the thing in the boat while the top was off! Grrrrr.... One of the things I am less than pleased about. This being the case, I don't know how you would route the hose from the toilet to the tank. We just seal it up when we are in restricted waters and use the toilet in the main cabin. Works fine when there are no guess.
Old 03-03-2009, 19:32   #244

Speaking of port side showers! Anyone know how to get the plumbing fixtures off on the starboard side head of a Privilege 37? It looks like you have to get to the back of the fixture and there does not appear to be anyway of doing that short of cutting the shower, or perhaps the bulkhead to the sail locker or watertight collision chamber.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:30   #245

"Strygaldwir" thank you for your informative reply.
The reason I ask is because I 'am planning to locate a boat in the Mediterranean and the rules and regulation for black water there are more restrictive every year.

So, if somebody could tell me about the Privilege 39 (The early ones) holding tank possibility and shower arrangement I would appreciate it.
DOCHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:44   #246

Boat: Privilege 39
As far as Privilege 39 head arrangement - they were built with 2 or 4 heads. I've never seen a 4 head version other than pictures, so I can't tell you about how they are setup exactly. On the 2 head version, like ours, the shower is in the heads (not seperate) but the sinks are not (there's a sink in each berth).

With a 4 head version it would probably (again I've never seen one) be moderately straight forward to convert one of the forward heads to a dedicated shower. I know other people have converted their forward heads to storage (just accessible from inside the boat, instead of outside like on ours - where this area is part of the hull forepeak(s)).

I redid our starboard head/shower using FRP panels and retabbing the sole tray back in place to get a watertight seal to the bulkheads and hull.

Our port head/shower we don't use and is destined to be a wet locker or dry storage or pantry or something - we haven't yet decided on a permanent conversion, or something that lets it be an emergency head if needed.

Holding tanks - our boat came with about an 8 gallon holding tank on the starboard head, and straight out on the port head. You'll find holding tanks completely vary by boat on the Privilege 39. Many people have 15 gallon tanks that extend down into the keel bilges. I plan on sacrificing a portion of our starboard cabinet storage for a tank in the 25 gallon range. Getting a larger tank under the sole is tricky on these boats, since other than at the keel, the bilges are very shallow and segmented with bulkheads every 3' or so.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 18:28   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by privileged View Post
Greg I didnt get the bottom one out ,but it looks identical and the rudder shaft is not tappered , but it is about .5mm larger in diamiter in the two areas that the bearing seats, barely visible. And they are made from Delrin Mick
Thanks again, Mick. I will have to take top & bottom bushings out to have them copied since they are slightly different.

Don't know why your one bushing is tight & the other hull is loose. My starboard side is loose and port is fine. I do have the autopilot hydraulic ram on starboard which does most of the steering. Perhaps the strong torque of the ram has caused more wear on starboard side. When I dive on the starboard side, I can move the bottom of the rudder about 3/4 inch. With certain sea conditions, I can hear a clunk from the rudder post. I'm glad you mentioned a delrin washer between rudder and hull. I don't think I have them on either side, but I'm not certain. I'll go look when the water warms up a little.

Thanks Keith for your method of getting bottom bushing out. I'll need to find a bar or tube that is almost the inside diameter of the bushing.
Old 04-03-2009, 18:40   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strygaldwir View Post
Speaking of port side showers! Anyone know how to get the plumbing fixtures off on the starboard side head of a Privilege 37? It looks like you have to get to the back of the fixture and there does not appear to be anyway of doing that short of cutting the shower, or perhaps the bulkhead to the sail locker or watertight collision chamber.
Keith,
Are you talking about the shower faucet in the port side head? If so, I can get to the back of the plumbing under the head sink. Looks like same situation for shower faucet in starboard head.
Old 05-03-2009, 18:08   #249

Lightbulb Replacement Rudder Bushings, P37

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip van praag View Post
i would be intrested if you find a sorce to buy replacment bearing's
keep the updates coming.
I got a estimate for custom fabrication of rudder bushings. Still not cheap, but better. Prices get pretty good as quantities increase. I asked for the estimate before I got Mick's post about the top and bottom bushing being slightly different. I'll follow up with the company when I get my bushings out and can make exact measurements. With two different outside diameters, I expect the estimate would be somewhat higher. Estimate follows:

RE: Custom Boat Rudder Delrin Bushings‏

Hello Greg
Thank you for thinking of Ethylene Atlantic Corp for your precision machining requirements. We are pleased to quote as follows:

White Delrin Bushing 2 pcs 4 pcs 6 pcs
Per picture $ 190.00 ea $102.00 ea $ 74.00 ea

FOB: Swedesboro, NJ
DELY: 2-3 weeks
TERMS: COD or check in advance. Please advise qty and we will advise approx shipping costs.

We thank you for the opportunity to quote and I look forward to your order.

If you wish to place an order please send sample of bushing so we can make detailed drawing of the bushing inorder to get the correct radius on the OD

Jim Monaghan
Ethylene Atlantic Corp
P O Box 430
136 church street
Swedesboro, NJ 08085
P 856-467-0010
F 856-467-0610
Old 05-03-2009, 18:14   #250

Sorry the spacing got messed up in my last post. This should be clearer:

White Delrin Bushing 2 pcs
Per picture: 2 pcs $ 190.00 ea, 4 pcs $102.00 ea, 6 pcs $ 74.00 ea
Old 05-03-2009, 18:23   #251

Greg , I am sure the bearings are the same top and bottom , It is the shaft that has a built up area where the bearings seat, only by a millimeter.
Old 05-03-2009, 18:28   #252

Keith I spoke to alliaura about the starboard shower fittings a few years ago and when I sugested comming through the bulkhead they said that would void structual hull warranty, they said to cut an inspection port in the shower cubical..
Old 06-03-2009, 02:40   #253

The price of the bushings, is that per pair, or individual.

Are these bushings identical with those for the 39?
Old 06-03-2009, 05:46   #254

Privileged;

Thanks for the confirmation. It is as I suspected.

Hmmm... I wonder how long the structural hull warranty is? I'll have to look that up!
Old 06-03-2009, 05:52   #255

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strygaldwir View Post
Privileged;

Thanks for the confirmation. It is as I suspected.

Hmmm... I wonder how long the structural hull warranty is? I'll have to look that up!
10 years when mine was built in 2002

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
privilege