Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 03:23   #226

Boat: Privilege 37
Privileged
Maxingout
Svcattales

I would really like to know your spin on the advantages / disadvantages of the 37 versus the 39.

Particularly as a liveaboard and long distance blue water cruiser.

Are both build as solidly? sail performance, space for living/storage etc.

I can see that the 39 has a larger cockpit and this obviously has merit in warmer climates, does this relate to less space inside for living when it starts to rain?

I know that there is only about 4 inches difference in length.
Old 02-03-2009, 16:30   #227

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I would be happy to voyage on either the Privilege 39 or 37. They would offer similar performance and creature comforts. Both cats are very strong.

I prefer a larger cockpit because we do trade wind sailing and spend most of our time in the tropics. I am an outdoor person.

Although our catamaran was delivered with four heads, we removed three of the heads and converted them into storage. We had lots of storage. Having more than one head would have been wasted storage space on Exit Only.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 17:04   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by privileged View Post
Greg I liked your idea with the eye bolt in the top of the shaft. so we had a go this afternoon and all went well. I started by removing the quadrant which then gives you a lot more room to work, then I attached the eye bolt with 6mm spectra rope . I had two friends in the water ready. I then remove the the top bolt and spacers, and nothing happened ,the rudder was jamed there, so the the guys in the water worked the rudder back and forth and it slowly started to drop, after about 200mm it took of and droped to the bottom [about 3.6 meters] .We then undid the rope and pulled back through the rudder tube. Next I removed the top bearing. We tied a rope to the rudder and pulled it up on to the bottom steps and checked the top bearing over the shaft and it was fine.Then the we tried to remove the bottom bearing and after spending fifteen minutes trying to move it we gave up. It looked like the alloy bush that the bearing sits in had grown a little as well as the bearing. so we made a sanding stick from 40mm tube and tape sand paper around it , then started sanding the bearing.First go at refiting was not sucessful and it was still too tight, so we droped the rudder back down and sanded some more. Then I droped the rope back down the the tube the guys then tied it back to the rudder and I pulled the rope from inside to guide it up and it poped straight up to the top, and turns freely. The whole job took about two hours and was quite easy , you need two in the water to handle the rudder and the depth was just right for divers to stand on the bottom and push the rudder up. It would be easier to leave the rudder laying on the bottom if you had some way of measuring how much to sand off, may be a piece of pipe the same size as the shaft to check how you are going. I took some photos so if you want to see them let me know. I cant beleive the differnce in steering now it feels like nothing is conected to the wheel . Once again thanks for your help and great ideas Cheers Mick
Congratulations Mick! You proved the concept that the bearings can be changed in the water. Your description of the process will be very helpful when I work on my bearings this summer. I would love to see your photos and I think Talbot would too. Can you post them here or send us a PM?
Old 02-03-2009, 18:28   #229

I didnt take many photos as we only had a couple of hours of daylight . the rudder is not that heavy under water ,but you must have calm conditions. any questions just ask me ,. thanks Mick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tao rudder 002.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	493.0 KB
ID:	7289   Click image for larger version

Name:	tao rudder 004.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	492.7 KB
ID:	7290  

Name:	tao rudder 005.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	494.5 KB
ID:	7291   Click image for larger version

Name:	tao rudder 007.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	483.2 KB
ID:	7292  

Name:	tao rudder 008.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	389.4 KB
ID:	7293   Click image for larger version

Name:	tao rudder 012.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	492.0 KB
ID:	7294  

privileged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 19:29   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
Privileged
Maxingout
Svcattales

I would really like to know your spin on the advantages / disadvantages of the 37 versus the 39.

Particularly as a liveaboard and long distance blue water cruiser.

Are both build as solidly? sail performance, space for living/storage etc.

I can see that the 39 has a larger cockpit and this obviously has merit in warmer climates, does this relate to less space inside for living when it starts to rain?

I know that there is only about 4 inches difference in length.
Talbot,

I think either boat would be a good choice. I have only seen the exterior on the 39 so I can't really compare living space.

When I was boat shopping, I did look at the pics and specs of a nicely equipped 39. The only part I didn't like on the 39 was the outboard helm location. Since most of our cruising is in the tropics, I didn't want to be out in the elements while hand steering. We also use the intercoastal waterway on US East coast and many narrow stretches require hand steering rather than autopilot. The helm station on the 37 is on forward bulkhead and under the bimini top. We replaced the single helm seat with a double seat so the "Admiral" and I can both see over the bulkhead. From the helm we can also see all "four corners" of the boat for docking which is another advantage.

We are primarily coastal cruisers so we haven't experienced very large seas or winds above 35kts, but the boat feels very solid in big seas and handles easily is strong winds. In 2006 we logged 5200NM on our "shake down cruise" and we were extremely happy with the boat. I was really impressed with Cat Tales while sailing in the Atlantic off the New Jersey coast. We had 20kts of wind on the stern and were sailing wing and wing with the main on a preventer. We had 6ft seas on the stern and were surfing down the waves doing over 12kts at times. The amazing part was the boat was so stable that the autopilot was able steer the whole time
and both sails stayed full.

The interior accomodations are great for two people and it also works well when we have guests. We love the large forward berth and the large hatch above it. In warm weather we always seem to get a breeze even if we have to put an air scoop over the hatch. The galley down to port works well and gives us lots more counter space than available in galley-up cats of the same size. We would have liked a 3 burner stove, but there is only room for a 2 burner. We converted the port queen berth to clothes storage and a small office. I built a slide-out shelf for a laptop and a top shelf for a printer and file storage. We also like the nav station on the bridge deck. It is very convenient to the helm and makes a nice work desk when at anchor.

Our only criticism of the 37 was the escape hatches on the inboard side of both hulls. The hatches were standard Lewmar hatches with standard nylon handles and stops. When fully loaded, the bottom of the hatches were only about 3 inches above the waterline and were awash in any kind of sea. Our hatches leaked around the seals and I didn't feel safe with the handle/stop situations. I had the same hatches overhead and many of the rivets holding the stops corroded out. I started a thread about the escape hatches in this multihull section with some pics. To make a long story short, I removed the lexan glass from both hatches and replaced it with 1/4 inch aluminum plate. Then I through bolted the aluminum to aluminum backing plates (angle iron) on the inside. I removed the nylon handles and stops. Now I don't lose any sleep over the hatch situation and it was a cheap fix. Friends had the same situation on a Lagoon 37 and they removed the hatches and glassed over the holes (OK in US, but not for EU standards).

Talbot, that's a quick summary of our opinions on the 37. If you have anything else you would like us to comment on, just let us know.
Old 02-03-2009, 19:39   #231

Quote:
I didnt take many photos as we only had a couple of hours of daylight . the rudder is not that heavy under water ,but you must have calm conditions. any questions just ask me ,. thanks Mick
Mick, Thank you very much for the photos. It's really helpful to see the actual bearing and the rudder fully out of the boat. Now I'm a lot less nervous about doing the same thing on my boat. One more question? What is the distance between the bottom bearing and the hull? Can you reach up and grab it with your hand or do you need a special tool? I hope mine comes out easy because I have the opposite problem that you had. I have too much play in the bearings and will have to replace both of them.
Old 02-03-2009, 20:28   #232

If you look at the third photo showing the slot for the bearing to come out, that is the same on the bottom . There is a delrin washer on top of the rudder that separates the alloy housing from the rudder.I will be replacing my port bottom bearing which has a lot of play. I am going to try and buy one and copy it. Cheers Mck
Old 02-03-2009, 22:59   #233

Boat: privilege 37
Quote:
If you look at the third photo showing the slot for the bearing to come out, that is the same on the bottom . There is a delrin washer on top of the rudder that separates the alloy housing from the rudder.I will be replacing my port bottom bearing which has a lot of play. I am going to try and buy one and copy it. Cheers Mck
i would be intrested if you find a sorce to buy replacment bearing's
keep the updates coming.
philip van praag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 23:07   #234

Boat: privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by svcattales View Post
Talbot,

I think either boat would be a good choice. I have only seen the exterior on the 39 so I can't really compare living space.

When I was boat shopping, I did look at the pics and specs of a nicely equipped 39. The only part I didn't like on the 39 was the outboard helm location. Since most of our cruising is in the tropics, I didn't want to be out in the elements while hand steering. We also use the intercoastal waterway on US East coast and many narrow stretches require hand steering rather than autopilot. The helm station on the 37 is on forward bulkhead and under the bimini top. We replaced the single helm seat with a double seat so the "Admiral" and I can both see over the bulkhead. From the helm we can also see all "four corners" of the boat for docking which is another advantage.

We are primarily coastal cruisers so we haven't experienced very large seas or winds above 35kts, but the boat feels very solid in big seas and handles easily is strong winds. In 2006 we logged 5200NM on our "shake down cruise" and we were extremely happy with the boat. I was really impressed with Cat Tales while sailing in the Atlantic off the New Jersey coast. We had 20kts of wind on the stern and were sailing wing and wing with the main on a preventer. We had 6ft seas on the stern and were surfing down the waves doing over 12kts at times. The amazing part was the boat was so stable that the autopilot was able steer the whole time
and both sails stayed full.

The interior accomodations are great for two people and it also works well when we have guests. We love the large forward berth and the large hatch above it. In warm weather we always seem to get a breeze even if we have to put an air scoop over the hatch. The galley down to port works well and gives us lots more counter space than available in galley-up cats of the same size. We would have liked a 3 burner stove, but there is only room for a 2 burner. We converted the port queen berth to clothes storage and a small office. I built a slide-out shelf for a laptop and a top shelf for a printer and file storage. We also like the nav station on the bridge deck. It is very convenient to the helm and makes a nice work desk when at anchor.

Our only criticism of the 37 was the escape hatches on the inboard side of both hulls. The hatches were standard Lewmar hatches with standard nylon handles and stops. When fully loaded, the bottom of the hatches were only about 3 inches above the waterline and were awash in any kind of sea. Our hatches leaked around the seals and I didn't feel safe with the handle/stop situations. I had the same hatches overhead and many of the rivets holding the stops corroded out. I started a thread about the escape hatches in this multihull section with some pics. To make a long story short, I removed the lexan glass from both hatches and replaced it with 1/4 inch aluminum plate. Then I through bolted the aluminum to aluminum backing plates (angle iron) on the inside. I removed the nylon handles and stops. Now I don't lose any sleep over the hatch situation and it was a cheap fix. Friends had the same situation on a Lagoon 37 and they removed the hatches and glassed over the holes (OK in US, but not for EU standards).

Talbot, that's a quick summary of our opinions on the 37. If you have anything else you would like us to comment on, just let us know.
our 37 is a 2000 model and has a 3 burner cooktop and seprate oven.
also the escape hatches have been changed to a much stronger version and we have no problems.
we have been out in our boat in a force 8 on two ocasions and as stated have had no problems the boat feals verry safe.
uk waters are verry shallow and seas become short and steep and we dont suffer from slaming in these conditions.

are we all asuming that the comparason is between the older 39 and 37
and not the streched 37 that superseaded the 37 for a few years 2001 onwards?
philip van praag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 00:35   #235

[quote=privileged]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot
Hi

started a thread on here clicky about the advantages /disadvantages between these two. I would be grateful if you could contribute.

Mark

aka Talbot
Hi Talbot. I have only seen one 39 Exit Only when it was in Aus. They look like they have the same hull shape and I would think the performance is about the same. I extended my boat to about 40ft a couple of years ago after putting bigger engines in ,and it has improved its sailng performance and handling significantly especialy in heavy conditions.We have also put new oversize sails to get as much performance in the predominantly light weather we have here, and that has worked very well. Where we live we have to do a lot of motoring against extreme tide and narow chanels ,so the aft steering stations were not a option and steering under pilot not recomended.I have a double seat installed and I spend most of my time sitting in it with full vision out of the deadly sun we have. I think the ocean going capabilities of both boats are very good , my boat has sailed here from France with no problems . Cheers Mick
Old 03-03-2009, 03:31   #236

Question Stupid Questions

Hello,
I'am looking for a 37 or a 39 as a "Live aboard" and have a few questions about them.
Looking at the interior layouts form both catamarans I can see that the 37 has a separate shower and the 39 does not. Am I right in this assumption.
Further I want to know if these boats have a holding tank and if not, how difficult is it to install one.
DOCHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:36   #237

Quote:
Where we live we have to do a lot of motoring against extreme tide and narow chanels ,so the aft steering stations were not a option and steering under pilot not recomended.I have a double seat installed and I spend most of my time sitting in it with full vision out of the deadly sun we have.
Good Point
Old 03-03-2009, 17:01   #238

Quote:
I would be interested if you find a source to buy replacment bearing's
keep the updates coming. (Philip)

Mick, Thanks. I see how it works now and if the bottom bushing isn't swollen, it should be easy to get out. I did some research on the internet and found a US company that makes custom bushings from all types of plastic materials. I just sent them an e-mail and asked for a price estimate for the bushings and attached your pictures so they can see the shape. If the price quote is reasonable, I'll take one of my bushings out and send it to them so they can copy it. Earlier in this thread, Keith (Strygaldwir) said the original equipment bushings were priced at $500/pair and I think that's pretty steep for two pieces of "plastic." If I get good news from this company, I'll post the info in this thread.

One more question, Mick. Are the top and bottom bearings the same size and do we know that they are made from Delrin?
Old 03-03-2009, 18:04   #239

Greg I didnt get the bottom one out ,but it looks identical and the rudder shaft is not tappered , but it is about .5mm larger in diamiter in the two areas that the bearing seats, barely visible. And they are made from Delrin Mick
Old 03-03-2009, 18:43   #240

The bottom and top are the same set up. You remove them in the same manner. Once you have the rudder out, the bottom bearing is right on the surface of the hull. It took me hours to get mine out because of the swelling and corrosion. I had to take a long bar and rock the bearing side-to-side to finally get it out.

Maybe the swelling is a design feature to combat the additional play!
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
privilege