Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2013, 12:44   #1

Boat: Image 7.85m
Privilege 465

I see a 2002 privilege 465 in Croatia for 245000 euro. Just about my price range. Anybody know this boat? I haven't sailed on a privilege. I am guessing they carry a load well, have a lot of interior space, are a little heavy so maybe a little slow but pretty seaworthy. They look like they have pretty good bridgedeck clearance and combined with wide hulls I would think they wouldn't pound to bad. They are foam cored boats and to me that is a good thing. Anybody out there have experience with privilege catamarans.
Croatia is a loooong way from New Zealand!
Joe Burke
Joe Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 23:42   #2

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Re: Privilege 465

The Privilege 465 is a great cruising boat. The 465 Easy Cruise (actually 49ft) comes equipped to a very high standard... generator, watermaker, electric winches, cruising chute, etc, etc. Just about the only thing missing from the standard spec is air conditioning, solar panels and wind generator. They are very solid boats but can be made to go quickly with the right sails. Bridgedeck clearance is excellent and the nacelle forward gives a very strong structure.

This particular boat in Croatia is pretty cheap for a 465. It is described on Yachtworld as a Catamaran, Power and there is no mention of the sails in the full specs so you might just want to check on that!

I've owned my Privilege 435 since new in 2002 and have circumnavigated with just my wife as crew. There isn't - in my humble opinion - a better make of cruising catamaran available than Privilege. Mine is now available at a similar price to the 465 you are considering as we've run out of places we want to sail.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 11:11   #3

Thanks for the reply Mike. I think I have read an advert for your boat"run out of places to sail" Do you have a site to view your boat? We are a family of 7 and I would prefer a 50ft boat but probably can't afford one. The 465 is a good compromise in that it has a lot of room and bunks for a boat that size. I also do charters now on my current boat and need to be able to sleep 8 people. I think I can just do that in a 465. I suspect a 435 is going to be just a bit to small for us.
I think there is a 435 for sale in florida that has the old design with 5 cabins but it is a 1992 and I have read the older boats were built quite a bit heavier. I also prefer the helm position forward against the backof the cabin bulkhead instead of at the stern on the older boats. How is your boat set up and how has it worked for you. What would you change if you were building a new one today?
Old 27-02-2013, 11:27   #4

Hi Joe

435s where only built from 2000 onwards. Anything earlier is the old design with, as you say, the helm at the stern. Mine is against the bulkhead.

I'll answer the rest of your queries later, in private, as I don't want to turn this into a sales thread.

Cheers

Mike

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 14:33   #5

My email is jpmb@xtra.co.nz
Old 28-02-2013, 01:00   #6