Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2008, 03:32   #1

Privilege 37 and 395

Hello again,

Thanks so far to all the replies to my more genric ramblings below. Having taken a good look around the web the boat that seems to tick all the boxes is a Privilege 395, or the earlier version the 37.

I have had a look through the forum for threads on the Privilege range, and specifically the the 37/395 and there seems to be a bit of debate over performance. There does seem to be general concensus that these boats are solidly built without adding too much weight.

My main question is really the difference between the two models. The 37 falls easily into my budget for a late 90's boat while the 395 would add another £40k or so which while doable, could be used for other things .

So far as I can tell, they both have the master berth forward of the saloon incoirporated in the bridge deck. While I like the idea of being a bit sperate form kids/guests and out of the hull which (I hope) should avoid some of the 'slap' you can hear in all boats I wonder how this impacts on the bridge deck clearance?

Also, what is the interior fit and finish of the 37 compared to the 395 like? I think what I am trying to weight up is the extra £40/£50k well spent on the 395 and what are the big differences? I like the look of the 37, and would be happy with it provided sailing performace was good.

Thanks again

JRB
jrb1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 05:42   #2

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Check here Privilege 37 catamaran: stylish and solidly made cruiser and Privilege 395 catamaran: reassuring impression of luxury and practicality if you haven't already done so.

I've been aboard a 37 and don't believe that they are that much different from the 395 other than gradual development over the years and slightly different salon/galley layouts.

If you can afford either then go for the 395 just because it is newer.

You won't want to sleep in the fwd cabin of any multihull when underway to windward. You will get wave slap and you will become airborne if it gets rough.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 05:54   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I think you answered your own question. That extra $40k will surely come in VERY handy. Especially for the difference of 2 feet!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 06:03   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I think you answered your own question. That extra $40k will surely come in VERY handy. Especially for the difference of 2 feet!
I would agree, especially as I think that length is all in the rear of the hulls where the sugar scoops are.

Thing is I have read a few reports that say the 395 was introduced/redesigned to improve sailing performance. I am interested in a cat because it suits swmbo but also because I want a bit more speed than a monohull, plus it gives us a bit more space and dare I say it a saloon/deck area more akin to mobo proportions which we have become a bit used to. It is unlikely we will be doing much more than weekend sailing with the odd two week holiday on board so can afford to keep it light and wont need water maker, big genny etc etc.

Oh and the differece is £40k sterling, so $80k in US dollars.

I am interested on the comment on sleeping in the forward berth while underway, does that imply that the bridge deck clearance is a bit tight and the boats a liable to slam? I guess either of the two stern cabins would be fine underway, or the saloon. Am I right in my assumption that while on a quiet anchorage at least the forward berth should be without the usuall hull slap being up in the air as it is?
Old 16-07-2008, 06:19   #5

Boat: Privilege 37
The actual length increase is much less than the two names suggest.

Most of the extra length is in the sugar scoops, so that would suggest not much real difference. However, the 395 has a galley on the bridgedeck thus providing more space in one of the hulls. This is used for a second heads compartment - a real boon when guests are aboard.

Two other significant differences. The 395 has a taller mast with a corresponding increase in sail area. It also has a bowsprit with a gennaker permanently fitted.
Old 16-07-2008, 06:23   #6
Eternal Member

bowsprit= big difference, but $80k ? Sounds like some decision making coming up!
Old 16-07-2008, 06:36   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
The actual length increase is much less than the two names suggest.

Most of the extra length is in the sugar scoops, so that would suggest not much real difference. However, the 395 has a galley on the bridgedeck thus providing more space in one of the hulls. This is used for a second heads compartment - a real boon when guests are aboard.

Two other significant differences. The 395 has a taller mast with a corresponding increase in sail area. It also has a bowsprit with a gennaker permanently fitted.
Thankyou, that is interesting and useful info.

How much difference does the bowsprit make? I guess it is all to do with down wind performance allowing you to run a bigger headsail? Do you know the sail area increase of the 395 over the 37? I have loked on the web, but there is little info and Privilege's web site does not have an older models section.
Old 16-07-2008, 06:49   #8
Eternal Member

Can you have a bowsprit installed on the 37, or do it yourself? I would personally do my best to hang onto that extra money. It will come in handy for useful items like solar, wind generators, breakage of items etc etc......
Old 16-07-2008, 06:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb1978 View Post
Thankyou, that is interesting and useful info.

How much difference does the bowsprit make? I guess it is all to do with down wind performance allowing you to run a bigger headsail? Do you know the sail area increase of the 395 over the 37? I have loked on the web, but there is little info and Privilege's web site does not have an older models section.
In Jeannius's earlier post he gave a link to both models, which contains all those specifications.

running a gennaker on the bowsprit enables a bigger sail for downwind and broad reaching. It also means that the jib is not so much of a compromise and can be designed for better closehauled performance.
Old 16-07-2008, 07:48   #10

So it did - I missed the links.

So the 395 has a mainsail 2sqm bigger, and a spinny 2sqm bigger but weighs in at nearly 1000kg more light (according to the figures). It seems to me that the sale area has increased by around 5% while the weight has increased by 15%?

Seems by those figures the 37 should be faster, or have I got something wrong?
Old 16-07-2008, 16:45   #11

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Difference in length overall is only 9 inches. Privilege always used to understate the length. Most 435s are 44 ft something and most 465s are actually 49 ft. 37 is 38ft something.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 18:27   #12

Privilege 37 Owner Viewpoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb1978 View Post
I would agree, especially as I think that length is all in the rear of the hulls where the sugar scoops are.

Thing is I have read a few reports that say the 395 was introduced/redesigned to improve sailing performance. I am interested in a cat because it suits swmbo but also because I want a bit more speed than a monohull, plus it gives us a bit more space and dare I say it a saloon/deck area more akin to mobo proportions which we have become a bit used to. It is unlikely we will be doing much more than weekend sailing with the odd two week holiday on board so can afford to keep it light and wont need water maker, big genny etc etc.

Oh and the differece is £40k sterling, so $80k in US dollars.

I am interested on the comment on sleeping in the forward berth while underway, does that imply that the bridge deck clearance is a bit tight and the boats a liable to slam? I guess either of the two stern cabins would be fine underway, or the saloon. Am I right in my assumption that while on a quiet anchorage at least the forward berth should be without the usuall hull slap being up in the air as it is?
JRB, I have owned a '96 Privilege 37 for the last 3 yrs and have toured a 395 at a boat show. The 395 looked to me like the same structure as the 37 except for interior layout and elongated sugar scoops. The 395 was a beautiful boat, but not worth the extra cost to me and I prefer the layout of the 37. The 37 is galley down which makes for a much larger galley and larger salon/nav station on the bridge deck. Even though the galley is in the hull, it is visible and easy to hand food/beers up to the salon. The cook doesn't feel isolated.

We sleep in the salon when underway so the "offwatch" can get to the cockpit quickly, not because of bridge deck clearance. Bridge deck clearance is excellent and bridgedeck "spanking" is rare. At anchor we use the forward berth in the nacelle and love it. We have a big hatch that is ideal for catching a breeze and it is very comfortable for two plus the ship's cat. It is very quiet and I can easily climb out the hatch if I have to do something with the anchor after bedtime.

I'm very happy with the sailing performance of the 37. On a cruise we usually average 6kts or more and when conditions are ideal it will get above 10kts easily. With both engines, we can power at 7kts with no headwind or current. One of the first upgrades we made to the boat was to replace the 3-blade fixed props with 3-blade folding props. The increase in sailing and powering performance was significant.

I have a few pictures posted in the multi-hull photo gallery under svcattales if your interested.:cubalibre
Old 19-07-2008, 19:29   #13

I have to agree with Greg on all points. I have had about the same experience.

I believe if you compare the lengths at the water line between the 37 and 395 you'll find them identical. I don't think you'll see an increase in speed. But, then again, these cats were not exactly built for speed. Just steady, pleasant passage making.

I don't like the galley up, the configuration just takes away from the usable space in the salon. After spending LOTS of time curising on the boat, I REALLY appreciate the size of the salon and the ability to strech out. The galley open to the salon lets me stay connected with anyone in the salon.

They did make some changes in the sail plan and car positions that I would dearly love on my 37. One of these days, I expect to retrofit these changes.

If I had the money, I'd probably go for a 435 verses the new 395. But, a 37 is a whole lot more affordable, if you can find on!
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
privilege