Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-05-2012, 20:33   #16

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
I wonder how the portable units would work?
You can get the up to 5300 btu with 1800w power requirement,
They have a 4meter vent hose which makes them easier to locate i would think.

Old 30-05-2012, 01:49   #17

Boat: Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres
Re: Portable Generator Air Conditioner Setup.

Quote:
What is available is the one piece push around portable air conditioners with the "dryer vent hose" for exhausting hot air overboard. They are big, clumsy and a royal pain in the butt to try to adapt to a boat.
Very true--and very inefficient too. They use already cooled air to cool the incoming air as well as the compressor output coils--wasting about half of the energy.

I have not done this one myself--but I believe that a truck or car air conditioner could be run from a stationary diesel generator--except that I would use a heat exchanger cooled by seawater instead of a radiator--making the whole thing quite small. Anyone with an onboard diesel powered genset can use the existing electric clutch system and run the compressor directly from the genset engine. I only mention this because vehicle wreckers have no shortage of them--and the ones from the bigger cars such as a Lincoln would freeze ice cream.

Old 30-05-2012, 02:38   #18

Boat: Owner Builder

Off the shelf split systems .
Are the same units you would install
In you house.
Bought at any air con shop.
Thus off his shelf
Old 30-05-2012, 02:39   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This ad is out of date, but this was the one everyone seemed to love. Aquacal Krusin Kool portable AC. It's a shame they don't make it anymore.

Boat Air Conditioner--Portable for sale
Old 30-05-2012, 06:28   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Carry-On Portable Air Conditioner

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...id=HP_12025763

West Marine eCatalogs
Attached Images

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 21:28   #21

Could i run 4 of these on a 9.5 kva genset?
Old 31-05-2012, 01:41   #22

Boat: Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I think you could probably run quite a few more. If they drew say, six amps at 110 volts, that is an apparent power of six hundred and sixty watts. Four would require under 3kva, so you would easily do it and with power to spare.
The larger unit quotes seven amps at 115 volts--which is approx 800 watts, so four of these would require under 4kva
Old 31-05-2012, 02:43   #23

Thanks Mike,when it comes to electricity i have no idea at all
Old 31-05-2012, 03:23   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Did you see the price of those units - the carry-on marine hatch air conditioners? You could purchase almost ten 6K Btu window units from Home Depot for the price of one of those 6.7k Btu units in post#20. Ouch . . .
Old 31-05-2012, 06:21   #25

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

I have one of the carry-on hatch a/c's and it has performed very well for ten years. Once the temp gets over 95, the compressor runs constantly to keep the interior around 82 degrees, dropping into the low 70's as the sun goes down. It is heavy to lug around, but is worth it to me because the Admiral could not safely step over an AC mounted in the companionway. I paid $250 for mine and see them on Craig's list in the $250 -350 range often. Does a great job of removing the humidity, which is the main issue here in Florida. My boat really does not have a good place for a permanent type A/C, so this has been a good compromise.
Old 31-05-2012, 06:47   #26

Boat: 34' 1973 Grampian ketch

i cut a hole in the aft cabin bulkhead to mount window uint, vents into eng compartment.
Very BAD idea. the blowers arent enough ventilation for heat
Old 31-05-2012, 06:54   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefaa View Post
I have a thru the hatch model, and a sunshade made by Shadetree which drops the inside temp from 105 to about 90 in August in Maryland. I also have a 5000 BTU hatch unit. To avoid humping the hatch unit up/down, I build a box to cover it, painted it the same color as the deck, and vented it. It is locked down and inexpensive. HOWEVER... Going from 90 to 75 only happens at night 5000btu on a 31 is not enough if you are there in the heat of the day - especially in a marina where wind is nonexistent.

What I am looking at now is a portable "big box store" model. 14,000 btu. Some "claim" to exhaust the condescension but in my case I can run the line out.

Why this route and not a built in? The "cheap" estimate is $6500, I lose a locker + 20% of all the lockers the hoses pass through and I only need it for 2 1/2 months of the 7 I am on her.

Option 2 - someone showed how the did this by grassing in a locker in the cockpit. I don't have that link right now, but that would also need to be a DIY to cost justify it.
You may be interested in this link as you also have an Island Packet 31:https://picasaweb.google.com/gallenh...eat=directlink
I had previously used a small window unit in the companionway (PITA), and bought a portable "Soleus" unit from home depot which was a similar PITA and took up way too much space. I noticed that Defender had a sale on the do-it-yourself Mermaid units and bought one for under $1400 (a 12,000btu model). Addition costs were some marine triplex wire and a 20A breaker and some fiberglass and epoxy resin. I have seen other installations in interior locations which work well also.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:07   #28

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

I did the same thing as Jonathan. A GE 5k window unit, replaced the lower washboard with 3 pcs, 1 on each side of a/c and one above . The height finishes of where the lower washboard did so the regular upper board fits normally. Shop around for units, I ended up buying 3 diff units because I kept finding smaller ones. When at anchor I had a brackett made that hangs on stern rail to hold my honda 1000. Start the generator on high, start a/c with t-stat off, fan low. After a few seconds turn up t-stst to engage compressor. After a minute you can switch generator to economy mode and all is well.
Old 09-07-2015, 15:17   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanSail View Post
I've employed what is probably one of the lower budget AC setups on my boat and find that it works well. For cooling I've installed one of the small Haier window units in the companionway of the boat.

http://www.amazon.com/Haier-HWF05XCK...sr=1-2-catcorr

The AC is a 5k btu unit and it came with a remote control which is very useful. It's nice to be able to adjust the temp or turn the unit/off on from the v-berth or anywhere inside the boat.

I built a few hatch boards that allow for mounting the AC very low in the companionway so that I can leave it in place and step over it as I go in and out of the boat. If needed, it's easy to remove or reinstall the AC as it is pretty light and I can just slide it up like you would a drop-board.

I put a shade cloth over the fore-deck and have put insulating window shades in the windows which both cut down on the heat a good bit. So far the AC has kept it very cool in the boat and I'm hopeful that it will at least keep it comfortable when it gets to high Summer. It's a small Pearson 28-1 so that helps.

For off-grid power I picked up a small Hyundai 1k generator.

Amazon.com: Hyundai HY1000si 1000-Watt Peak Portable Inverter Generator: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I was surprised that it ran the AC but it has no trouble doing so.

Here are a few photos of the AC install:
Jonathan,
Can you share any more about how you built the hatch boards and what material you used? Is fitting the A/C unit in it pretty straightforward (sliding the slats) or is there more to it? Appreciate any guidance you can provide.
Old 09-07-2015, 20:53   #30

Boat: Pearson, 28-1

Carolinabuoy,

The hardest part of the process is probably the woodworking associated with making the new companionway drop board(s). Here is a link to a search with tons of info to get you going down that path:

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...ay+drop+boards

I'll share a few details/thoughts from my experience that may help but can't create a detailed how to since all companionways are different, design needs may vary and AC units will vary as well.

First off, I'm very happy with my setup so can recomment it.

An important design consideration as you plan how to do this is how low the threshold/bottom of your companionway entrance is. My boat is a coastal sailor with a low step into the cabin so adding the AC (as low as I could get it) means that I just step over it as I enter/exit and it's not too big of a deal. On some companionways this may not work that well so you will need to get the AC as low as possible and may want to add a step or make it easy to get the AC in/out of the cway repeatedly. That may necessitate a different and more complicated arrangement than what I went with but it would be worth it on some boats and may even be a safety consideration.

Another detail to consider is adding a handle to the AC to make it easy to carry and install/remove. I made a rope handle (drilled holes and ran rope from one side to the other over the top) and slid a piece of aluminum pipe (light and large/comfy diameter) over the rope. It's setup so that the handle stays at the balance point of the ac in both directions so that by just holding the AC by the handle it is level and ready to drop into the companionway. Without a handle or with a handle that tilts the AC you may fight to get it lined up and dropped into the slots. I can easily carry my AC around, etc. thanks to the handle and wouldn't be without it.

I did add a bit of foam weatherstripping when I installed the AC into the hole in the replacement lower drop board that it fits into. You need to install it in a way that slopes the AC a little down/away from it's front and with that in mind you should be able to get the AC in the drop board in a way that may not leak without a seal. The seal helps insulate and keeps the water out in extremes. Think about how these things sit in windows with minimal sealing but where the outside is a bit lower so rain/condensation is encouraged away from the inside.

The AC that I installed had a nice bolt on flange that was really useful in mounting my AC in the drop board hole. I ended up bending the lower tabs and drilling/screwing them to the dropboard on the bottom and then using the bolt-on flange up top and screwing it to the drop board. That means that the AC is really locked into the drop board and doesn't shift at all as it's carried around or set down/etc. I doubt all of the AC units could so easily be adapted and screwed in but you'll have to figure something out to get the AC mounted securely. I'm pretty sure that I ended up flipping the top-flange around backwards/etc. to get the AC angled correctly. You'll have to take into account whatever angle your companionway boards have and then figure out how to get the AC itself slightly tilted outward and securely mounted. Fortunately you can cut the sides of the hole at an angle if needed, add wooden bracing/etc. to the drop-board etc. to get it right.

You may be able to get by with only making one replacement drop board (if your current bottom board is large enough for the AC hole) but I had to make two and then I use my topmost board with the AC and when I have the non AC boards in.

My AC unit has a remote control which I love since I can control things from the v-berth.. Spend the extra few bucks for one if you can.

I used cheap plywood and since I needed 1" thickness I glued two .5" sheets together. I then used the current boards to trace the cuts on the new wood and that made it a quick/easy bit of woodworking. I used a hand plane to do final fitting of the new drop boards since the bottom isn't a consistent cut all the way around. I put lots of pencil (chalk would work or similar) inside the slot where the boards drop in and then would install the board and bring it out and then could see where to plane since the high spots picked up the pencil markings. There are probably better ways to get the fit nice and tight for the boards but it was a fun process for me and didn't take too long.

That's all I can think of for now. It's not too hard and on lots of boats is probably the best/easiest way to add AC and this time of year on the East Coast will be well worth the effort. Good luck getting it setup.

Tags
generator

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: