Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2017, 12:49   #1

Polycon 37 Catamaran

I own a Polycon 37 Catamaran located in Newport Beach, California. I'm posting here hoping to get advice on some ways I might best market her. I've owned Invictus for over 20 years and I'm at an age now where I need to simplify my sailing efforts. I plan to cobble together some kind of listing for this forum in a week or so, but has anyone had an experience using Boats.com, Yachtfinders, etc? Are they worth the money for such a short listing period? Also, while Invictus has a lot going for her - modern rig, new sails and so forth, shes still a project rather than turn key. Are the pay listings maybe a poor choice for this kind of situation? I also own an offshore and an onshore mooring in Newport Beach that makes berthing very cheap. I plan to sell those off also, giving the buyer of the boat first option before offering to the general public. As lovely as the boat is though, I'm afraid the moorings themselves are more valuable, and something only a local would want. Any ideas are welcome.
I'm considering maybe a Soverel 33 to replace her - wouldn't it be funny if someone wanted to trade one for the cat!

Phil
Polycon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 13:50   #2

Re: Polycon 37 Catamaran

It sounds like you simply desire broad exposure without too much cost. This is achievable through a combination of listings: sailboatlistings.com, craigslist, and ebay. The first is very cost-efficient, the second will be picked up by claz.org and searchtempest in addition to its own merit, and the third will get many views without committing yourself to a sale (if you price it defensively). Just make certain the pictures are clear/plentiful and the description thorough/accurate. This is precisely how I sold a 30' catamaran with no design pedigree a few years ago. The process took one year.
Howaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 14:32   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polycon10 View Post
I own a Polycon 37 Catamaran located in Newport Beach, California. I'm posting here hoping to get advice on some ways I might best market her. I've owned Invictus for over 20 years and I'm at an age now where I need to simplify my sailing efforts. I plan to cobble together some kind of listing for this forum in a week or so, but has anyone had an experience using Boats.com, Yachtfinders, etc? Are they worth the money for such a short listing period? Also, while Invictus has a lot going for her - modern rig, new sails and so forth, shes still a project rather than turn key. Are the pay listings maybe a poor choice for this kind of situation? I also own an offshore and an onshore mooring in Newport Beach that makes berthing very cheap. I plan to sell those off also, giving the buyer of the boat first option before offering to the general public. As lovely as the boat is though, I'm afraid the moorings themselves are more valuable, and something only a local would want. Any ideas are welcome.
I'm considering maybe a Soverel 33 to replace her - wouldn't it be funny if someone wanted to trade one for the cat!

Phil
Dont know the Polycon, but the the Soverel 33 is a great boat for racing! Used to crew on one.

You are in CA so maybe consider a Hobie 33 too, maybe more common in CA...also an awesome racing boat.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 16:09   #4

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

And don't forget to advertise right here on CF! The classified ads get a relatively small (compared to Craigslist or Ebay) but very motivated audience.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:17   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Phil.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 13:26   #6

Boat: PDQ 36

Hi Phil,
We owned Polynesian Concept hull #3, back in the late 80s, early 90s, in Santa Barbara and Ventura. Last one built by Schock, balsa core, before the Polycon company, foam core boats. The site that has great traffic in the "looking for a good boat & deal" in cats is "catamaransite.com". The site owner is a Catalac 27 owner in FL. I've referred both buyers and sellers to it, most were pleased. One couple sold their 35+ year old Prout on it in10 days.

Good luck! Those were some of the best, fastest for size, sea boats made!

Bruce
BruceOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 15:38   #7
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOz View Post
Hi Phil,
We owned Polynesian Concept hull #3, back in the late 80s, early 90s, in Santa Barbara and Ventura. Last one built by Schock, balsa core, before the Polycon company, foam core boats. The site that has great traffic in the "looking for a good boat & deal" in cats is "catamaransite.com". The site owner is a Catalac 27 owner in FL. I've referred both buyers and sellers to it, most were pleased. One couple sold their 35+ year old Prout on it in10 days.

Good luck! Those were some of the best, fastest for size, sea boats made!

Bruce

Hey Bruce, I thought of you when I saw this thread. Hope all is going well for y'all and Willa!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 13:31   #8

Hello,

Is this boat still for sale? My Dad built this boat, Mike Cruickshank. Id like to come take a look at it if you still have the boat.

Thanks,

David Cruickshank
Invictus5099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 14:33   #9

Boat: Between boats at the moment aka Fender

If you're on Facebook, there are two or three different Catamarans For Sale By Owner groups, which are free to list your boat on.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 15:24   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus5099 View Post
Hello,

Is this boat still for sale? My Dad built this boat, Mike Cruickshank. Id like to come take a look at it if you still have the boat.

Thanks,

David Cruickshank
Welcome to CF. The original post is six years old, and the original poster never came back a second time, so odds are not good that you will get a response, but good luck in your search regardless.
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 12:22   #11

For the low number of boats out there (around or under 12?) , polycons do seem to come up for sale if you keep your eyes out;
- the original (35') $33k https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/101030
- project $8k needs major work to some ply bulkheads etc https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lg...636170942.html

a couple more:

-https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/boa...630283368.html (likely way overweight with 2 diesels)
-the other one I was thinking of must have sold, delisted, or been a CSK not specifically polycon

If you are seriously/specifically after the boat Invictus, and happened to be in S. CA already- , I might suggest a google satellite view "search" and associated kayak /paddleboard trip around newport harbor- might track it down. (then tape a note to the boat in a ziplock bag I suppose). It seems more common than not- for boats to just sit out there forever
purvisgs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran