Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-05-2016, 15:14   #46

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Polars building

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Re the main, have you tried a cunningham?
sail does not have cunningham installed. And also no outhaul. For cunningham will have to use main halyard tension instead.

Outhaul is another option I want to test, will reuse third reef line to do that.

Sag is definitely not an issue as I do not get any lose shrouds even in 25 knots with full sails. This particular boat very stiff. This was just testing shrouds tension of course, do not sail overpowered. In low winds when not using gennaker, use spi halard attached to bow sprit and tension it to get required jib sag, and seem to work. Speed ticks up in windward & chop & low winds.

Old 29-05-2016, 16:19   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
i have found 3 potential issues that i will work on and hope to get some improvement

1. Mainsail luff. Double halyard is twisting therefore i do not pull sail to the top and luff is loose. Will have to sort out halyard.
You just need to prevent the block on the headboard from rotating. That will prevent the halyard from wrapping round itself.

To be honest I've just switched from a 1:1 halyard to a 2:1, and don't like it. Have to stay like this until I can replace the masthead sheave though, but if you can hoist the sail on 1:1, it's much better IMO.

None of this twist, easier to secure and tension the halyard so it's quiet, (not slapping in the mast) the sail goes up quicker, there's less of a heap of rope to tidy up, sail comes down quicker....

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 19:42   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
sail does not have cunningham installed. And also no outhaul. For cunningham will have to use main halyard tension instead.

Outhaul is another option I want to test, will reuse third reef line to do that. .
is there a cringle below the first reef you could use for a cunningham? if so could rig a tackle from there. i have occasionally used the first reef from the luff alone on boats that didnt have one fitted.
Old 30-05-2016, 08:57   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Why cunningham? Why not halyard tension?

Are you racing or is your main stretched and the head touches the pulley?

b.
Old 30-05-2016, 13:22   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

b.
Ha, good point. I have not checked if stretched so that touches the pulley and if not, how much space left.

Added to my list of things to verify!

No, I do not race and have no interest. Just trying to optimise sailtrim/rig to get performance that is possible with this boat design with not too much work & mess.

Reaching is strong point of sail for cats however I do not get adequate speeds in 12kn+ true.
Old 30-05-2016, 15:16   #51
cruiser

this article by Phil Berman may be of interest:

Are you a Spreadsheet Guy?
Old 30-05-2016, 15:17   #52
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

b.
Cause you will never get the luff as tight as it needs to be with halyard tension. A Cunningham is a simple easy cheap way to get luff tension and more importantly easily adjustable luff tension. What is even more worrying is the lack of outhaul control, getting some outhaul control will make a massive difference to pointing and performance.
Old 30-05-2016, 16:15   #53

Quote:
Cause you will never get the luff as tight as it needs to be with halyard tension. A Cunningham is a simple easy cheap way to get luff tension and more importantly easily adjustable luff tension. What is even more worrying is the lack of outhaul control, getting some outhaul control will make a massive difference to pointing and performance.
i have checked on outhaul in lagoon owners forum and there are as usual strong opinions re need for outhaul both ways.
Not much interest in cunningham either. Halyard tension seem to be satisfactory solution.

I will test it both and see for myself.

Targeting 10 kn boat speed in 18 kn reaching. If i can do that then I know sails are okay and I use controls properly.

thanks for ideas.
Old 30-05-2016, 17:27   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Odd. Why will this matter if you are pulling this or that end of a stick? Where I am from, normal cruising sails do not have cunningham, just the halyard. Racers will have them because of the black band at the top of the mast ...

I will agree it is nice for sail trim if one can adjust the foot on the fly. You get not much trim though unless your main has a shelf or else is lose footed.

I like lose footed ones, my next main will be lose footed for sure. Trimming is better as is tying the reef lines, the sail ties, and ... dropping the kite ... no brainer.

b.
Old 30-07-2016, 02:16   #55

Today I used new technique and finally managed to fly all telltales on jib using simple rope setup. Boat was flying in 15 to 20 kn true against 2-3m swell . Crossed my mind to slow boat down for the first time .... Yeeey !!

One can feel when sails working well.
Old 14-08-2016, 03:20   #56

i really find it funny polars published for monohulls.

This is boat performance in a protected pool & perfect breeze

Today we had 15-20 kn on the nose and based on polars mono I was observing should do 6 kn VMG.

I was motoring 6 kn direct upwind. Well, this boat was doing 3 kn VMG at best.

I sure could do better. But was in a hurry.

All mono warriors seem to concentrate their activity in protected waters. I mean, this is no real sailing. Go out there. There is more to life than chasing other boats in the bay.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: