Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-11-2008, 14:26   #16
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 25ft Merlin catamaran, 34ft Romany catamaran
I write this sitting in the cabin of my home built (not by me) epoxy glass sheathed plywood catamaran, Romany.

To be honest, at the moment it does look home built, but that should change by next week, as tomorrow we lift the boat out in St Augustine for a repaint. Then it should look smart again.

The problem with ply boats is that they need maintainance, not constant, just some TLC from time to time. Unfortunately Romany's previous owner (not the original builder) did nothing to the boat under his ownership. That wouldn't have been a problem with a grp boat.

Romany has already made one Annapolis - Bahamas cruise, we are part way through a second and may take it further. I don't think there is any real seaworthiness/performance/structural reason to favour one building material over another.

My other catamaran is a strip plank cedar boat, now 16 years old yet still looks like a grp boat as it was expertly built and well maintained all its life.

One advantage of a wood boat is that it is easy to modify. Even fitting new deck gear or running the wiring for a new electrical gadget can be near impossible on many fibreglass production boats with inner headlinings.

Furthermore, wood boats tend to be lighter than grp boats, especially in smaller sizes. Primarily because no one likes living in a basic unfinished grp shell. Rather they want to live in a wood interior. So a grp boat tends to have a lot of heavy non-structural weight added, just to make it look pretty.

So buying a second hand wood boat that you plan to "improve" makes a bit of sense. However if you just want to sail then maybe a wood boat is not for you.

Hope this helps

Richard Woods on a bouncy St Augustine anchorage on board Romany

Woods Designs Sailing Catamarans
Woods Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2008, 19:14   #17

Boat: homebuilt, 17ft, fathersdream
Send a message via AIM to seancrowne
well I'm feeling more and more at ease. Rather exstatic, er happy to see the designer writing on the forums in response to my concerns. we are both ready to go forward with this and have and will continue to do more research.

one concern is one that richard brought up and i was wondering about my self is the difrence in plans from his as an open deck to the bridge deck cabin on the boat. and wonder if the seller is mistaken if it was a custum design , and will adress this tomorro when talking to the seller.

As we do plan to do some custum work on the interior like adding an oven and changing up the head arrangment. i do think the ply would be the best option. But we also plan on extensively cruising her. We are currently in Hawaii for example. Have family in tampa and an apartment in New york city. "Lord I was born a ramblinman Tryin to make a livin and doin’ the best I can "

sean

Old 20-11-2008, 08:15   #18

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Wood interiors

Richard that is a very interesting point I never condsiderd in a boat design. Where you get clients who add on the pounds by trying to warm up th inside with wood. Of course we all know you can have thin veneer vacume bagged on the carbon fiber table legs if you want also...:-) Dick Newick said it so well. You can any two of three things. Low cost, fast, comfortable.......that reminds me of how simple and good his designs are also. Below is a few shots of a 52' boat designed and built in wood epoxy. No need to warm up the interior....:-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1565326_18.jpeg
Views:	582
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	5906   Click image for larger version

Name:	1565326_21.jpeg
Views:	503
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	5907  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0017.jpg
Views:	1371
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	5908  
Old 21-11-2008, 05:03   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmolan View Post
Below is a few shots of a 52' boat designed and built in wood epoxy. No need to warm up the interior....:-)
That looks like Chris White's Juniper.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 06:42   #20

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
That looks like Chris White's Juniper.
It is the design. It is Carissa, the only other boat built acording to Chris White of this design. Just recently sold I believe. It has free standing spars. It is a real gem in many ways. Much credit to the builders....:-)

Tags
catamaran, epoxy, fiberglass, plywood

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: