Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2008, 21:16   #1

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
pirate Planning Help!!!

Hi everybody it's me again, I was hoping to get some planning help. I had an idea and I want to see what you think. My plan is to try to be the youngest person to circumnavigate the globe single handed in a catamaran. I know some of you are laughing at it but i'm serious, what I want to do is a circumnav. and then write a book about it and get it published, But I need help with the planning part. I know I will need
1.Lots of food storage
2.Good Equipment
3.A good boat
4.A list of ports to stop at for resupply
5.A course
6.Funding
7.God's grace
8.Lots of luck
If you could please give me more specifics on the ports,equipmet,course and a source of funding.
Thanks everybody for the help I know will be provided.
V/R,
Little Otter
Old 24-07-2008, 23:24   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 38
You should start by reading the books of those that have already done it.
Jesse Martin
Kay Cottee
David Dicks
Crak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 00:29   #3
Marine Service Provider

I think you'll find that most people started by doing a smaller but still challenging trip in a very small cheap boat they funded themselves.

Ellen sailed a 26'boat around the UK first, which showed she had the determination to take on bigger challenges.

If you don't have anything that shows you might achieve the bigger goal it will be pretty difficult to find a sponsor.

But good luck, start small
4HMainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 04:15   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Start at #6....... the rest is easy!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 05:08   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
and throw out #8. I think skill is much more important. Now would that be by the southern capes, or through the ditch?
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 06:14   #6

Make a homepage with your plans and then you start to find some sponsors. Make it like a company and start selling yourself. And at same time work so much you can, and why sail same boat all way round....Find some deliveryboats from US to Europe etc... and change boat.
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 06:17   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
My plan is to try to be the youngest person to circumnavigate the globe single handed in a catamaran.
So how old do you have to be to still win and how much time do you have left? We really need this basic information. Being in a hurry while sailing is always dangerous and something most all of us will tell you.

As to the list in reverse order:

Grace and Luck are things you already have as much of as you are going to get and while it may not be enough you at least shouldn't forget you already have them. It can take a lifetime to get more. Therein lies your problem. You'll have to go with what you have now.

Funding!

Being the youngest to complete the trip might be a record you seek but being the poorest to make the attempt and never leave is clearly a possible record as well.

You have to be ready to raise money to actually get any. You'll need some sort of biography listing:

1. Any sailing achievements you have attained. None are too trivial. Toy boat sailing counts. A swimming medal would be very nice too. People need to know you swim well. I can't say why really. It's not like you would swim even some of the way but it matters a lot. Make do with the best effort you can.

2. A list of any dead military heroes you are even remotely related to. Any really dead British naval heroes and the checks will be in the mail by this weekend. There is no degree of remote that does not count. If your great great grandmother kissed Lord Nelson it's all we need.

3. A list of any living famous people you might also be related to and any others that will say they know you marked with an asterisk. This one is almost as good as the 2nd. You need to show a context of greatness. We all know great people do great things. Appearing to be great is great enough.

4. Pictures of yourself in either adventurous poses doing something athletic, cute pictures, and at least one baby picture (sorry very important). Any home movies from you at the beach are golden.

All this is to say you need a publicist (we don't loan out Gord so don't ask). You need a story. It needs to be a great story. People that don't have money need a way to get it from those that do.

People that have it don't give it away on a whim. Associating with famous people makes you famous too. Famous people always like to become involved with the causes of other famous people. Being generous with money in front of famous people or in front of people that could tell famous people always yields the largest bag of money. We are not talking an advance on the allowance here. We are talking a full sack of money. You need a big one.

Last rule: Rich people like it when you think they are ten times richer than they really are. Asking for too much money is never embarrassing. They like to think that you think they can afford it. Just don't expect them to give it all to you. Being nice always matters. It's cheap so just do it.

You'll need a parent that will appear on TV and say wonderful things about how well prepared you are even if you are not exactly prepared at this moment. You will need past school teachers, baby sitters, local merchants, and interesting folks from your home town that all remember you well as a child (even if they really don't). They also need to say great things about you too. They need to say more than "Oh a very nice child". "Always knew there was sailing blood in that child" is much better. Chat them up since they may know or be related to famous people too. Their credibility is your credibility.

All this is to boost public confidence. People not only have to think you can do it but more important they have to want you to do it and just enough to give you money.

No one wants to say they contributed to the youngest sailor lost at sea while attempting to circumnavigate. Consider how stupid people would say they were. "You killed that child. Just what were you thinking" Older people think these things, it's how they get old. If you want to raise money this is the biggest problem to watch out for. A little bit will sink the boat.

Pelagic was indeed to the point and correct. All the rest of the list gets sorted out later provided you don't grow up and blow the title on a technicality. When you raise enough money and have some publicity the rest of the gear and stuff will find you easily from all the attention. You'll have more places to stay than time to stay in them.

It is often that working a list backward is best. Yours appears to be perfect as written.

When you make it back and the reporters ask "Did you really sail all the way?" you pull out the swimming medal. I told you it was important.

One more item. I get a signed picture when you get back. I need to say I know famous people too. Not the baby picture either. I want one with the boat and you holding up the swim medal.

Last word: Never sign a book deal before the trip.

Seriously, this is the way to get this done.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 06:32   #8

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
WOW!! Mr.Blais said it all I can't add anthing, but to say good luck with your plan.
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 07:52   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais
... Grace and Luck are things you already have as much of as you are going to get and while it may not be enough you at least shouldn't forget you already have them ...
Everything you do towards preparing yourself & your boat will add to your “luck” account.
How to get lucky? Make your own luck! So-called luck happens when preparedness meets opportunity. You have to prepare to be lucky - and having done so, you will be.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 08:03   #10
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Take a look here...............

Zac's Blog
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 08:30   #11
Kai Nui

Read the posts about "Flight Of Years" Heather's experience in such an attempt. This will show you the pitfalls of such an attempt without experience.
Also, consider this. An interview I did with the Pardeys, they imparted a philosophy about such projects. They make it a rule not to announce what they are doing until they have done it. That way the pressure to succeed is off. Consider this in your planning. There is a difference between asking the question, "how do I prepare for this", vs stating, "I am going to do this, someone tell me how".
Old 25-07-2008, 09:36   #12

The first order of business is to have mom and dad extend your curfew. Until they agree to do this, everything else is off the table...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 09:58   #13

Thanks guys this is good info I was wondering if manta would fund or sponsor it and I am waiting on a reply from them to make this record I could do it after highschool (2 years) That way I won't be rushed, and I can better prepare for it. My biggest problem rightnow is getting a boat. I have a long list of famous people i'm related to and I have teachers that will say good stuff ( which is where I got the nickname Little Otter). My dad and grandparents will also say good stuff. also does small boat sailing merit badge count, along with others like meteorology and water stuff. One more question, how would I go about making a homepage?Thanks. (P.S. I don't have a curfew.=) )
V/R,
Little Otter
Old 25-07-2008, 10:06   #14

I not sure but wouldn't having a dog onboard disqualify it from being single handed.
Old 25-07-2008, 12:54   #15

Hi everyone I have published what I was able to create today on the web the website is john2bandit - Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* AÂ*CIRCUMNAVIGATION I am still adding to it but I hope you like it.