Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 19:14   #1

Piver on Flee-bay

Hi All
Just curious to know if anyone has any knowlege about the Piver 35 that's on e-bay in CT. Good or bad or both lol.

Thanks
Moe
Moe R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:53   #2

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
Re: Piver on Flee-bay

looks like a possible deal and fun
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 18:43   #3

The Piver 35 piglet on fee ray finally went. In the $3600 ish range. I did e-mail the seller to see if I could give a minni inspection, (I'm pretty close by). But, it was for Knot.
Old 13-06-2012, 20:10   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I sailed aboard a Piver 35 on a couple of occasions and even slept aboard a few nights. If you keep up with glass over plywood maintenance they are a pretty good boat. They should be cheap to buy.
kind regards,
Old 13-06-2012, 20:30   #5

well, we'll see how it goes. I also tried emailing the seller a few days ago for inspection as well.

Not to many pictures either. Figured i'd roll the dice, placed bid. Down payment sent. Rest of the cash will be in person when i check it out.

Wish i knew more about this boat. If all goes i will be there in person on sunday.

Can any one point out any particular areas of interest I should inspect thoroughly, beside the basics. Would be good to know some of the known trouble areas.

marc.
marcg007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 23:31   #6

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Check the beams carefully and all the areas where the hardware is bolted on. Chainplates, forestay, backstay, rudder hardware....You are looking for rot of course but it is easily repaired if you find it in small amounts. Jim Brown would tell you to look where anything pierces the fiberglass membrane, where old sealant might have failed. The same goes for the windows, check carefully for leaks that might have let fresh water in. Go over the rigging before you sail etc....Plans for the Pivers are available from The Mariners Museum at Newport News Virginia.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 07:20   #7

Cavalier thank you for the insight. Going to check her out tonight, I think.

Boat was from Maryland prior to 2010. Befor that is unknown at the moment .

Been told There are some plans an other paperwork as well. It is said he thinks it's a piver Canadian. Now I'm not sure if canadian was ever a plan model. Any thoughts on that?

I checked the maritime museum newport news but After 30 min of searching I haven't came up with a canadian model. Also google. But I need more time that I don't have at the moment.

Thanks for the help. Now I hope she's not a a disaster.
Old 15-06-2012, 07:43   #8

What I was trying to say is that it sold for 3600 and bidding had ended. I saw pic's of it when it was for sale in MD. It sold for around 1400 and had a wind gen. I tried to get a chance to look at the hulls but the seller would not respond. I felt like this was a good boat to pass on. Tough to buy site unseen no matter how cheep. Ya got to ask yourself,why so cheep
Old 15-06-2012, 08:19   #9

I haven't seen any pictures but a 35 Piver is most likiely the Lodestar model. Well proven and sailed across many oceans. The Canadian listing probably means it was built in Canada as that isn't a model name. The next size down was the Herald at about 32 feet I think. They really can be found cheap as newer designs took over the market but they can sail fast off the wind, remember like a airplane wing a multihull needs a clean bottom. Check out the ply butt blocks on the skin, in pounding waves it was found advisable to make them wider than 6 inches but they can be reinforced by overlapping them with a layer of epoxy/glass.
Old 18-06-2012, 08:21   #10

so i checked her out. She needs some serious work in order be seaworthy, yet shes still afloat. the forestay is very compromised due to leaking over the years. you cannot sail her in the condition she sits. there were multiple areas that the ply needs replacement. her internal structure seems sound.

unfortunately she sat in the water over the winter. areas of Blistering, non stainless hardware rust bleedthru . an quite a bit of frostheave separation on deck an horizontal surfaces.

not much going on in the interior. Seemed like she was barebone. thou the gentleman that helped me inspect stated that some of her rigging an hardware were high end.

Despite what she could be, my marina of choice cant haul anything over 16ft beam.

Maybe a lower price.... i bet what a great boat she would be to sail.

Cavalier, you know of any people in new england area that could consult me if i did purchase. the owner says, would you take it at a lower price. Im not affraid of work, i just want her sound an resealed correctly.

be well.
Old 18-06-2012, 08:34   #11

Boat: Piver Lodestar 35' 1968

We have a 35 foot Piver Loadstar and are getting it ready to cruise on and love it. Good boats if you find one in good shape. Good luck
capthowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 10:00   #12

Hello Marco, I'm on the West Coast but why not check into the New England Multihull Association New England Multihull Association Web Site

Downloads of the WEST boatbuilding manual and restoration guide are also available for free at their website. Make sure the gear on the boat is decent quality to minimize out fitting costs, otherwise another boat may be a better deal. The goal is to not put in more than you could sell the boat for.
Old 18-06-2012, 12:50   #13

I thought it sold? Oh well, ya know what happend to thought.

Tags
piver