Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 10:08   #91

Location: On the banks of the River Colne, Essex, England; grew up on the banks of the river Hamble in Hampshire, England. I just can't get away from yachts! I even helped to build a wooden 50 footer once.
Boat: I have a spinal injury, so my armchair is my boat these days
J Kimber

Hi from J Kimber UK, re Kai Nui's Lodestar.

Piver was indeed lost on a badly-built Nugget, in a hasty last-minute attempt to qualify for the OSTAR.

The mine of information on these boats is D H 'Nobby' Clarke, who built, sold and sailed them in the 1960s (Cox Marine/Contour Craft). The Lure of the Sea, Trimarans, Trimaran Development, all published in Britain by Adlard Coles. I have all three if anyone wants to raise specific points; I can look up what Clarke said if you don't have access to the books.

Best wishes and blue horizons! - J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Nui View Post
My new project is a Piver Lodestar 35' trimaran. My first multihull, and before all the critics come out, the price was very right.
I have researched the Lodestar, and one of the big issues appears to be weight outboard of the main hull. As with most of these boats, the cabin does extend to about the middle of the outer amas. I have heard varied opinions from carry nothing, to sails only to it's a cruising boat so who cares, regarding the capacity of the outer amas. Does anyone have any real info on this? I would like to put collapsable water tanks in the outer amas. 160 to 240 pounds per ama does not seem a lot, but the reason I am buying and trying the trimaran is the speed, so if I am not going to be able to get over 10 kts... Well... Plan B. I have already considered weight balance between the tanks, so the only issue is can the boat handle the outboard weight.
For now, my plans include coastal only, but if I like it enough, I may sell my Mono, and do some bluewater with this tri.
J Kimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 23:27   #92

Thumbs up Hi to all you Piver lovers

Good to see debate and discussion regarding Piver Tri's, am in the middle of redesign and rebuild of a Lodestar am extending main hull 3' to 38' with sugar scoop widening to 26' and fitting 38' new design ama's, lifting front beam to allow easy access forward, the beam has been redesigned to step up inside the cabin and has a 50mm compression pad where the mast will step, new wing decks and cabin with full doubles on either side, complete refit of interior. My lodestar carries all it's water amid ships and the ama's will only contain lite stores.
Hi to Kelldog and everyone else on this forum!
the mods and the liteweight materials will result in the shedding of allmost 2 tonnes from my previously very heavy baby this has been achieved by the use of modern composite materials and the use of epoxies.
In the redesign she will sport an equal length mast schooner rig, my way to reduce height of rig and to hopefully reduce the effort needed to sail her while cruising.
This work has progressed slowly due to the commitment to the new business we entered into 4 years ago producing and marketing PP honeycomb panels.

Regards all Bob
pivertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:18   #93
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Welcome to CF, Bob. Hope you enjoy the Forum. Best wishes on your re-build.
Old 03-11-2009, 19:55   #94

Boat: Piver 41AA, Cross 28.
Send a message via Yahoo to Kelldog
Hi Bob;
Welcome aboard. Looking forward to hearing more about your rebuild. Do you have any pics of the work in progress?

Kelly.
Kelldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 18:34   #95

Piver at Mission Rock, SF

I built the first "wide transom" lodestar at 3rd & Mariposa. Piver goofed the off-sets and we winched in one of the aft stations to create a hollow spot.
When he saw it he was dismayed.
We used the cheapest stuff he called for: galvanized nails, A/C ply (not the box beam or cabin arches...which were marine ply), powdered Weldwood glue, galvanized blocks and junk tools.

The yard owner (Mission Rock) had a funky crane and couldn't rig the 20' beam properly; he dropped it a couple feet on the way to the Ramp. (Which is now a night spot).

No hull damage...we also bounced off the Berkeley breakwater, and went on the beach at St. Francis Y.C. when the rudder shear pin ripped. Later at Avalon Harbor our/their mooring line parted in a N.W'str just before dawn...and bounced once there. Strong hull!

Had a lovely 2+ years in Mexico. The Sea Century Plus o.b. worked ok. The prototype is in N.Y. MOMA still, I think.

No one mentioned that Art was also an insurance broker...some have speculated that ultimately worked to his advantage. I hope it did.
abre ojos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 14:40   #96

Location: On the banks of the River Colne, Essex, England; grew up on the banks of the river Hamble in Hampshire, England. I just can't get away from yachts! I even helped to build a wooden 50 footer once.
Boat: I have a spinal injury, so my armchair is my boat these days
I left a note for Catsailor on a different thread, re Cox 32. Two facts from D H Clarke's books, which I have beside me as I write.
1) Cox 32's designer was someone called Bennett. Clarke was a very accurate author who knew all these people, so AYRA are almost certainly wrong to attribute the design to Piver. It was first built in 1969.
2) Piver apparently disappeared in an amateur-built Mariner, not a Nugget or a Lodestar.
Hope this is of interest to the forum.

Regards everybody - John Kimber.
J Kimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 16:39   #97

Location: Currently in South Haven Mi hopping to soon be in a warmer climite.
Boat: 17ft runabout my boat 2
Send a message via Yahoo to gunslinger9729
Hi Curtis. I have a question for you. The tri I am looking at is exactly like the one you sailed on and I was wondering if those boats had gotten rid of some of the problems that people talk about other that the weight. I am looking for a boat to use as a liveaboard and so am not as worried about the speed but am worried about the problems with strengh of the arms. How well do these Texas Tris hold up as compaired to other Piver designs. Thanks G
gunslinger9729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 14:58   #98

Location: Currently in South Haven Mi hopping to soon be in a warmer climite.
Boat: 17ft runabout my boat 2
Send a message via Yahoo to gunslinger9729
I saw as I read thru this thread one guys picture of his niece sorry I dont remember your name but the Tri I am looking at is the exact looking as the one you sailed on even to the color except that the well for the outbord is all white. I am really interested in how whell your remember this boat sailing. I looked at your pic and was kinda wondering if it might even be the same boat or was the blue hull and white topsides a normal color for the Texas Tris. thanks G.
gunslinger9729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 00:49   #99

Boat: Careel 22
How does she sail Kai Nui?

G'day Kai Nui,

I've been following your Piver thread. You've had her in the water for a few months now so, how about a report on how your Piver sails and handles?

Bill
Old 16-04-2010, 15:59   #100

Boat: Piver 41AA, Cross 28.
Send a message via Yahoo to Kelldog
Greetings to all;
Just a follow-up on this thread. I am in the process of getting a Piver 41AA that is in great shape. It has wooden mast and mizzen and both seem to be in good condition too. This will be a huge move up from my Cross 28 but I am excited because I will have a nice sailable liveaboard cruiser. Hopefully I can avoid loading it up with my junk. I will post some pictures shortly. Does anyone here have experience with the AA model of Piver's trimaran?
Kai Nu...How are things going with your Tri???

Kelldog.
Kelldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 08:38   #101

Boat: 56' Challenger
Re: Piver Lodestar 35

I'm going to chime in here way too late also...

I'm in the beginnings of buying a Lodestar. It's had some work started on it. We're getting it at a great price, and it comes with a lot of what's needed to get it back to "livable".

I've been off the water for about 3 years, it's my first multi-hull and I'm so excited! I'm planning to make the move from Pennsylvania to Florida to move aboard in the next couple months!
imasailorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 13:00   #102

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by imasailorgirl View Post
I'm going to chime in here way too late also...

I'm in the beginnings of buying a Lodestar. It's had some work started on it.
And when you get it take photos and give a rundown of your repairs, and good luck
sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 14:40   #103

Boat: 56' Challenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctpc View Post
And when you get it take photos and give a rundown of your repairs, and good luck
I know the seller's got "a lot" of stuff for the boat. He's going to look through the storage locker he has for all the boat's stuff... I'm hoping to get that list in the next week or so. At this point, we're assuming we're going to have to do pretty much everything. But we're some pretty hard-core campers, so as long as it floats (and it's currently floating where it is...)

I'll be sure to add more as we know more!

I was sent pictures from the seller...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC00006.JPG
Views:	518
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	25154   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC00008.JPG
Views:	825
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	25155  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC00012.JPG
Views:	363
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	25156  
imasailorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 01:38   #104

Boat: 54×14 Continental houseboat
Re: J Kimber

Hello sir my name is Brendan Coss I too have just found one of these piever trimaran load Stars, I'm highly interested in this thread because the one that I found is not too bad of shape and wouldn't take too long to get it in the water, and also all info is very valuable, knowledge is power.
Brendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 14:24   #105

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres
Re: J Kimber

Pivors die from the inside out. The points that fail are anywhere under a hatch where rain water can get in, or where fresh water can lie in an ama or in the bilges of the main hull.

Check all of the points where rigging was attached. Especially the sterns of the amas.

Rot is the killer of all plywood boats. If it has none of it present, you are extremely fortunate indeed.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lodestar, piver