Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2008, 03:43   #76

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Nui View Post
She is in the water.
Well done! Hope you'll still keep us up to date with the progress.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:05   #77

Hello, I need a full set of plans for the Lodestar, do you have them?

Tausetiau
tausetiau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:57   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by tausetiau View Post
Hello, I need a full set of plans for the Lodestar, do you have them?

Tausetiau
Auther Piver's plans are part of the Newport News Mariners' Museum Special Collections.

Quote:

Copies of plans from this collection can be purchased for personal or research use only from the Library. The costs for black line copies on bond paper for personal use are listed below. (See additional information on the cost of Chris-Craft plans.)
• $5 per square foot, plus
Shipping and handling calculated at 20% of total order, $10 maximum
• Museum members enjoy a 25% discount on the cost of reproduction of plans
• A 4.5% sales tax will be charged to all Virginia residents
For conservation and copyright reasons, The Mariners' Museum reserves the right to refuse to copy any of its plans and drawings.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:49   #79
Kai Nui

I do have the plans for my boat, but it would likely be more efficient to use the link Maren provided. Mine are 20 years old, and faded, as well as having some modifications noted, so they would not likely be as usefull to you as a new set.
The mast is on the ground, and we are working on rigging and related electrical. I was too exhausted to continue last weekend, so we have postponed the completion of that project until later this week. New photos next week. It has been a particularly rough few weeks at work, and since the timing meets with the launch, and the last few critical projects, I am wiped out. She floats. She runs, and all critical systems are working.
Old 12-09-2008, 15:42   #80

Plans

Quote:
I do have the plans for my boat, but it would likely be more efficient to use the link Maren provided. Mine are 20 years old, and faded, as well as having some modifications noted, so they would not likely be as usefull to you as a new set.
The mast is on the ground, and we are working on rigging and related electrical. I was too exhausted to continue last weekend, so we have postponed the completion of that project until later this week. New photos next week. It has been a particularly rough few weeks at work, and since the timing meets with the launch, and the last few critical projects, I am wiped out. She floats. She runs, and all critical systems are working.
All I need is a copy, I will re draw them
Old 12-09-2008, 21:45   #81

The Newport News Mariners' Museum has shutdown for this year

Regards,

Bill
Old 13-09-2008, 03:48   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by tausetiau View Post
The Newport News Mariners' Museum has shutdown for this year
I'm not in the country right now, but that doesn't sound right.

Maren

Old 13-09-2008, 21:52   #83

Museum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
I'm not in the country right now, but that doesn't sound right.
The Library at The Mariners' Museum does indeed have plans for most Piver designs.
Unfortunately, we are currently in the midst of moving the library to Christopher Newport
University, and the plans will not be available for copying until we have completed the move.
The Library is scheduled to reopen to the public in its new location in early November. A
staff member will contact you again with details about the Lodestar plans at that time.

Regards,
<DIV><DIV><DIV>
Bill Barker
Assistant Archivist
The Mariners' Museum®
100 Museum Drive

<FONT face=Garamond color=blue size=2>
Old 05-10-2008, 15:39   #84
Kai Nui

She is in the water. Rigging is done, engine runs, and just a little paint, and an interior to complete. Here is the before and after.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3980.jpg
Views:	1023
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	5364   Click image for larger version

Name:	019_1.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	5365  

Old 06-10-2008, 01:07   #85

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha
Looks great Kai Nui
Lots of work but neat to see another Piver born again
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 19:29   #86

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Being a new-comer to this forum, I was reading thru some old threads and came upon these Arthur Piver comments.
In 1962, I think it was, Arthur stopped here in Bermuda on one of his Trans-atlantic runs. I was running the fiberglassing shop in the boatyard that was,at that time, on Darrells Island.
Those of you who have visited Bermuda may know this big island located near the entrance to Hamilton harbour, which was originally the base and hangar for the Pan-Am and British Imperial Airways (now British Airways) flying boat clippers, before and during WW11.
Arthur was sailing one of the Nimbles, I seem to recall, and was concerned that the main hull V angle forward was to shallow, causing pounding when beating.
We jacked the boat up, and he cut wedges which were thru fastened to each frame, the wedges being a point at the chine and about 2-3" at the keel. He then re-skinned over these wedges to form the now deeper V, painted her, put her in and took off.
A number of Nimbles and a Lodestar were built here in the 60s and 70s.
Never did see Arthur again--an interesting guy!!
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 13:51   #87

Boat: Wharram Tiki 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I (think I) recall that Arthur Piver disappeared off Mexico (‘68?) in a borrowed boat.
Does anyone if if it was one of his own designs?
It was a 24' Nugget he borrowed. He was doing a 500 mile qualifying trip for the TransAtlantic Single handed race.
russpury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 09:30   #88

Boat: Careel 22
pirate Looks great Kai

Quote:
She is in the water. Rigging is done, engine runs, and just a little paint, and an interior to complete. Here is the before and after.
She looks great now Kai, have you by chance kept a record of what you spent on the reno'? I'm thinking of buying a doer-uper but it may save me money long term if I found something that cost more to buy but did not require so much work.

Bill AU
Old 05-10-2009, 19:21   #89

Boat: Cox Marine Trimaran, 32', "Island Time"
Kelldog/Kelly,
I just came upon your reply regarding trimaran builer Cox Marine of England. I own a trimaran cruiser with a registration stating it to be a 1980 Cox Marine. A prior owner states she was sailed from England to the US. northeastern states. She is 32' LOA with an 18 beam. I have rebuilt her and sailed her to the Bahamas for four months this year without problems.
Do you or anyone know of Cox Marine producing a boat like mine? I haven't heard or seen of one quite like her. I'll try and post some photos in the gallery.
Bruce Yates
catsailor1@bellsouth.net
catsailor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:34   #90

Boat: Piver 41AA, Cross 28.
Send a message via Yahoo to Kelldog
Hi Bruce;
I have limited knowledge on this but from what I have read I think the Cox 32 was based on Piver's AA31. I have friends who own the AA36 and AA42. If you Google "D H Clarke" you will find several books he wrote about Trimarans and his relationship with Authur Piver and Cox marine.
Does your trimaran have a single chine or double chine? The AA31 and other AA designs have double chine. This was Piver's answer to the growing popularity with round bottom designs.
He had several people who were disciple's of his and they went on to improve on his ideas.
I have a 30 (actually 28ft) ft Cross Tri now, but before that I sailed a 30 ft Nimble. I was very happy with that boat. It had a cross keel on it and even though it was not as fast as the newer F-boats and others, it did sail very well and put up with my amatuer sailing skills graciously.

Put up some pictures of your exterior and interior.

Kelly.
Kelldog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lodestar, piver