Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 15:17   #1

Boat: searching
Piver 58

2008 Custom Trimaran Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Would love to get comments on this boat. If you have personal knowledge, great, if not go ahead any way!
Old 05-06-2009, 17:52   #2

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Looks like a fantastic deal on a major project boat. If you have time, skill, knowledge and money to finish her the right way then go for it. If any ONE of those things is missing, walk away and don't look back.

This will NOT be a cheap boat by the time she's done.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:02   #3

Boat: In the market
Hey Herb, Sailfast is right on. I have not seen this boat personally except that it has been listed on Yachtworld for a LONG time. I believe I have seen the rig they refer to in the full specs that is for sale. I believe it is off a 65' cat and is an exceptional deal if it will fit the application, and the standing rigging is usable, and if the sails will fit. If it is the same rig, it was stored on the roof at the boatyard in Santa Barbara. I might still have pictures and measurements. The mast section and rigging are massive. The ad is a bit mis-leading. I believe this design to be a single chine fiberglass over wood boat, not necessarily a bad thing just not fiberglass only as is implied in the ad. If memory serves right, the single chine boats were the earlier offerings by Piver who dissapeared at sea in 1968 (read 60's maybe 50's design). To say it is a 2008 boat, well............Do your research and decide if you want to spend years and tons of money finishing this boat, or go sailing.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:38   #4

Thumbs up Suspect

This boat is way big, but very enticing. Woke up sober this morn, (nary a drink for days now), and probably won't make the trip to California. If this boat was on the east coast I like to think MAYBE we'd get it. Have been studying Wharrams for years due to our budget, but now retired and the budget is different with a little more to work with. (drather be lucky than good look'n). It's funny that the broker commented that Florida is where the calls are from and the owner has returned to Fl. I did suspect the tri is older than 2008, but wow what a deal if she's sound. I really would like to get a bare hull and outfit my way, the advantages are obvious. An open deck Cat is my first choice. A big tri is possible for us. We may still end up with a production cat, who knows at this point. The wife is so disappointed we are not on a boat by now, I'm trying to be patient and wait for a proper fit.
Any how back to the tri, Masts rigged as a ketch, steering, winches, ground tackle, transmission, lifelines, paint, tender, outboard,..........galley..........anything else........oh yeah, electronics.
thanks for your comments, keep them coming.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:58   #5

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbseesmoore View Post
We may still end up with a production cat, who knows at this point. The wife is so disappointed we are not on a boat by now, I'm trying to be patient and wait for a proper fit.
If the wife ain't happy, nobody's happy. Put your priorities in order and get her out on the water. Go for the production boat... Don't worry you'll still have plenty of projects .

Have you ever built a boat or even done a major refurb/refit? If you haven't I suspect you're seriously underestimating what would be required in time and money. If you plan to move that boat to Florida to work on it you will need to load it on a ship and transport will be at least $20-30k. Whatever you're thinking -- multiply by 4 or 5 because this is a one-off and everything will be custom, and unless you do almost everything yourself (measure in man-years if you do it right, to a high finish quality) it will cost hundreds of thousands (probably far more than a more modern production boat). That production boat will have higher resale value, too, as it will most-likely be better-engineered and built to a more modern standard that's more marketable.

Cost of ownership = purchase price + upgrades + maintenance + supplies + storage + cost of money invested + insurance + resale commissions + (misc.) - resale price

Don't overlook that last item because it's one of the most important.

I don't know the circumstances of the seller, but I have a hunch that if you really want that boat you might be able to buy it for a dollar, just so the owner wouldn't have to keep paying for storage and would have the satisfaction of knowing the labor of love won't go to waste in a landfill.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:33   #6

Wife ain't happy

The Wife ain't happy this morn, when I announced my feet are cold. The boat would not come to Fl. We are homeless, temp digs in Ocala while we shop. We go where the boat is, France, Italy, New Zealand, St Maarten, we don't care. We lust for far away ports. Time and money, retired as of Feb. Money, if I can buy a worn out cat for 150k, surely we could git the tri up and running, high quality finish, maybe not, bohemia more like it! 35 years ground crew for a major airline earned us the free empty seats. Who knows what tomorrow may bring, there are those 2 fiftyone foot hulls up in PA, I'm looking at later this month, but thats even a bigger project.
Appreciate your comments, keep'em coming.
By the way whats the weather window for leaving the Bay area, heading for Baja, Hawaii, who knows where.................LOL at myself of course.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:33   #7

Boat: In the market
If I had the money for a $80k down payment I would make an offer of $180k on this boat:
ADMIRAL 47' HIBISCUS Used Catamaran For Sale
Take it either to Venezuela or El Salvador to get it painted and have a great boat designed by a current, respected designer, and have over $100k in profit potential for the trouble.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:57   #8

Sold

Trying to eliminate balsa core boats, in the hull especially, drather have glass over ply, I know, you don't have to say it. And please all of the pro balsa folks, don't turn this thread into "nothing wrong with balsa" please I beg of you, have mercy!
Thanks Robert, also the ad states no longer for sale, I had seen this a while back. There is that Venezia down in Rio Dulce I have thought about.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:25   #9

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
from the wife

huh.

I would have thought we would save money buying this boat.

guess you are lol. thanks for the warning. now I'm not mopey any more.

really would like something new. I hate moving into other people's dirt and having to scrape that out, usually years worth of filth and grime.

custom to our specs would be wonderful. starting to realize the only way to afford a lot is to get the plywood one offs. the thought that those would be more than a production boat short circuits the brain.

my head hurts

I'm going to take a break and go crew on someone else's boat for a while. I just need to go sailing.

as long as I don't end up in a house permanently, I should be happy. If I really need something to give me perspective, I should go get a 9-5 job again. It's nice (duh) to be retired. 40 years of working plus education are enough.

Please just don't buy me a house in the suburbs.

the old broad/battle axe
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
piver