Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-12-2017, 05:27   #1

Boat: Morgan 46 ketch
Pick My Cat - Design Competition

Little background first. Been a monohull owner and part time cruiser most of my life. Last 22 years of this in a Morgan 46. My wife and I are usually the only crew. My experience includes about 10 trips San Francisco to SoCal and back, 2 seasons on west coast of Mexico, a one way to Tahiti and 3 weeks charters in Windwards and Leewards all on monos.

Considering selling the mono and cruising in a catamaran so I am just educating myself now. Been looking at a lot of sites and designs on the web but haven't actually inspected any cats yet.

I am not too concerned about high performance sailing. I think it wouldn't be hard to pick up a knot or two above what we are accustomed with the Morgan. Looking mainly for comfort at anchor and most points of sail, better areas for solar panels and less draft for more choices of anchorage locations. Capable of safe offshore passages in the normal cruising season conditions of CA coast to Caribbean. I am thinking 38 ft min for adequate safety and space.

CONCERNS: I am confused about the location of the helm on cats, w.r.t. visibility and protection from weather. In my center cockpit monohull we have a complete Acrilan enclosure with windows, which I consider almost mandatory. I guess one of the very few things that I am not tolerant of in sailing, is standing a night watch in a cold wind!

In a cat, is it reasonable to create a fully enclosed helm area with good visibility under way? Any designs particularly lend themselves to this?

Second big issue is power and drive configuration. Twin outboard nice for tilting up to reduce drag and protection in shoal water but I am very opposed to carrying large amount of gasoline. What are the options for diesel inboard power w.r.t. protection of running gear (outdrive, saildrive?)

Individual boats will have many variations of rigging and equipment and at this early stage I want only to concentrate on basics of design.

Many more issues to address but just concerning the above for now, are there suggestions from the members as to specific catamaran models? Price range $300K max used. I am willing to look most anywhere in the Americas or Med.

Old 15-12-2017, 06:09   #2

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: Pick My Cat - Design Competition

Alright you understand that asking this question is just like asking what anchor is best. You will get tons of comments with varying opinions (usually because they own the boat they suggest).

In any case.. Here is my advice.. Go find a Lagoon 380 to look at. I'm thinking it will fit your criteria in every way.

Old 15-12-2017, 07:14   #3

Keep in mind gasoline is a different ballgame on catamarans.
- In a monohull the tanks and engines are down in the hulls and any leaks or fumes tend to concentrate and stay there, creating an explosion hazard.
- In a catamaran the fuel tanks are typically placed on the bridge deck and vented below to open water. Very similar to a car. If there is a leak or fumes, they just go overboard to waft away harmlessly. Since the engines are outside the hull a fuel leak there is a similar situation.

38' is a nice size for a couple to handle. Yes, you can get enclosures but if you are headed to the carribean, shade is probably the bigger issue.
Old 18-12-2017, 02:24   #4
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

For a safe and comfortable cat have a look at the Broadblue range.
And no I don't own one
Old 20-12-2017, 20:36   #5

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Privilege 39

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: