Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-09-2015, 05:49   #1

Perry 43 vs lagoon 400 for circumnavigation?

I am searching for a boat suitable for a circumnavigation and my favourite would ba a lagoon 400. I have sailed one and quiet like them for a number of reasons.

What do people think of perry 43's compared to L400 for a circumnavigation?

I haven't seen a perry 43 in person yet, but since they are common in Australia I figured they might be another option. They seem like a nice boat, just not sure of their capabilities offshore.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:57   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
Re: Perry 43 vs lagoon 400 for circumnavigation?

Perry 43 is an exceptionally good boat, refined version of the early Grainger Azure. Extraordinarily well built and a good performer in its class, all things being equal the Perry 43 would be my choice, and by a long way.

Old 06-09-2015, 16:16   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Perry 43 is an exceptionally good boat, refined version of the early Grainger Azure. Extraordinarily well built and a good performer in its class, all things being equal the Perry 43 would be my choice, and by a long way.
Thanks for the info.

The perry is 3 foot longer and about a foot narrower. That seems a good thing.

Do you know how the bridge deck clearance compares between the two?

I will try to get a look at a perry for myself next week.
Old 06-09-2015, 19:29   #4

Boat: L 400

I'm probably a bit biased but will try to help your cause. One that I recently deliberated over as well.

Perry's are exceptionally well built boats; Lagoons are not. That's a fact. Lagoons are, however adequately built in most areas. They don't break apart quite as easily as some CF self appointed "experts" frequently assert. The L400 has proven to be durable and many have circumnavigated, as have Perrys.
The used Perry 43s on the Australian market will tend to be older and/or worked harder for the same money as the L400s, so which one will give the most maintenance issues in the future is a moot point.

In my case the decision came down to design. Both are proven, safe and sea kindly, with good bridge deck clearance and the ability to store and carry a live aboard cruising load without having to go minimalist. Both have mini keels and sail drives, the Perry 43 usually has/needs larger engines. I'm sure the Perry43 has the edge when it comes to sailing ability but not by as much as I originally thought. Perhaps the ones I have encountered have been sailed by skippers with even less ability than me? (Hard to believe!)

The design differences that appealed to me (us) were the following L400 features that the Perry just didn't have:
-galley up design (big one for my wife)
- wide, flat decks uncluttered with turning blocks and lines
- the deck level helm that gives an unobstructed view to all 4 corners without having to peer up through a hatch or craning to see around the side of the cabin
-vertical cabin windows that give superior visibility and less heat buildup
-engine compartments accessed via large sealed deck hatches rather than via disturbing rear bunks or through a hatch in a shower recess.
-a bulkhead between engine compartment and living areas.
-owner's bed that is aft (quieter) and don't require one to climb over the other to exit

I know that many, many catamarans have happily sailed the world without these design features and some will vehemently disagree with my choices. Good luck to them. Moonos, you will also decide what suits you and your crew. Either boat will be great.
Old 06-09-2015, 22:24   #5

There's a Perry 43 down here (about 1 hours drive from Melbourne) on the hard stand that's been pretty much deserted by the owner as far as I can tell. I think at least 10 years or more that I know of it's been at the haul-out facility (exposed). If you're interested in one it wouldn't hurt to contact me for their details and I can put you in touch and possibly even drop in and take a look at it for you.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:13   #6

Thank you ausaviator for that generous offer. It sounds like too much work I can do at the moment, exposed on the hard for 10 years, but you never know for the right price..

Tuskie, you make some valid points. It seems that I like the interior layout of the perry, and the exterior set up of the lagoon. The lagoon does have a nice helm position though.

Some Perry 43's have a raised helm position but they are not very common.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:05   #7

Boat: L 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonos View Post
Some Perry 43's have a raised helm position but they are not very common.
Yes, there are some custom variations within the Perry 43s that were built. Bryan Perry made a highly optioned version christened the "passage maker" but also sold cheaper versions for charter. Some had raised side or centre helms. All had high quality fit out and finish. Being a small boat yard enabled Perry to be able to do variations and modifications more easily than a large French factory could.

Well preserved examples of the passage maker retain a considerable portion of their original (very expensive) price.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:53   #8

Boat: Lagoon 400

reminds me when i tried to sell Outremer concept to my wife.

I think she got even excited until she saw it - from outside.

Didnt even want to go in ...

I also tried catana. she got seasick immediately. that feel of being on slider got her sick ...

so, I am stuck with lagoon. better than nothing, i guess.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:50   #9
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450
Perry 43 vs lagoon 400 for circumnavigation?

Moonos I would suggest you look at the Perry and then go back and look at the Lagoon 400S2 as although l purchased the L450 my next choice was the L400S2 as they are a beautiful boat, good luck with the search.

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 09-09-2015, 04:00   #10

I agree the lagoon s2 is a great improvement. I think I could upgrade many of the features of an s1 to an s2 pretty easily if required.

I just don't get the stupid wasted space of the electrical panel in the s1. The designer must have really fallen asleep there. It is a perfect spot for a second fridge or freezer. I have looked at the wiring inside one and it is a complete mess. There would be a fare bit of time needed to relocate that stuff adjacent to the Nav table where it should be.

The galley down of the perry really opens up the saloon nicely
Old 24-04-2016, 05:11   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
There's a Perry 43 down here (about 1 hours drive from Melbourne) on the hard stand that's been pretty much deserted by the owner as far as I can tell. I think at least 10 years or more that I know of it's been at the haul-out facility (exposed). If you're interested in one it wouldn't hurt to contact me for their details and I can put you in touch and possibly even drop in and take a look at it for you.
Ausaviator is the "abandoned" Perry 43 still languishing where you saw it last?

I would be most interested in having a closer look if it is still there.
Old 24-04-2016, 05:16   #12

Ausviator, is the "abandoned" Perry 43 still languishing where you saw it last?

I would be most interested in a closer look if it is still there.
Old 26-04-2016, 21:06   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

In choosing between two catamarans, all other things being equal, bridge deck clearance would be the deciding factor. Pounding the bridge deck gets old really fast.

When we circumnavigated, I saw three catamarans in New Zealand that needed bridge deck repairs from pounding. Two out of the three were getting the repairs done in the boat yard, and I don't know what happened to the other catamaran.

http://SailingUNI.com
http://maxingout.com
http://PositiveThinkingSailor.com
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, lagoon, lagoon 400, navigation

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: