Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2018, 06:58   #91

Boat: 2013 Nautitech 542
Re: Performance Cat makers?

Maine Cats are performance sailing cats
gsuescum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 16:01   #92

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
Easy, get an Outremer 55!

Our 55L has about half of the accommodation space as the Helia 44 or most of the other recent condo-type catamarans. It suits us, but the salon and galley are relatively low, dark and small compared to new boats. As an example, we chartered a new Leopard 40 a few years ago and our salon is smaller than that boat’s.

The problem is if you want both space and performance the money goes up big time. If you also want relatively new, the money goes up big time squared.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 19:36   #93

Outremer 5X?
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 22:00   #94

The problem is it’s double the money than Helia
Vlasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 19:30   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatingnewbie View Post
Please list any performance cat builders that you know of...

Seems like Gunboat and HH are two popular 'very high-end' builders.

I believe Catana and Outremer are in the next pricing tier.

I recently stumbled upon companies like SeaWind and Balance.

Others?
__________________________________________________ ______

St Francis Catamarans

St. Francis 50 might be a possibility. I've sailed on cats up to 65' including the SF50 and would buy the SF50 if I had the dough. Check out the website; that's me standing on the starboard hull of Odyssey, the first blue hulled cat the owner built. We were on a little shakedown before delivering to Annapolis Md. The SF50 is fast and comfortable. One pic attached of our max speed on trip and that was close to wind speed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160824_181222.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	328.7 KB
ID:	177109  
Old 18-09-2018, 12:45   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlasta View Post
Now here comes the challange and our problem. We would like the space and comfort of Helia (family with kids) with the performance and build quality of Outremer 45.
Take a look at the new Oceans series from HH Catamarans. The hull's are narrower than the FP. However the bridge deck space is similar. As an M&M design, should be a great sailing boat!

Ocean Series — HH Catamarans
ParkCitySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 09:02   #97

Does any one has any comment about the Balance 526?
ANJOKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 16:44   #98

Boat: Ocean Renegade 52

I'll add these guys to the discussion as well, www.oceanrenegade.com If you're curious I'd recommend talking to them as that website is a year old and the design has been refined further than shown.

See my post here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2798734
css145hs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 13:27   #99
gbr

Boat: Balance 526

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANJOKA View Post
Does any one has any comment about the Balance 526?
Yes, it is a fantastic boat, and deserves more recognition that it gets. They are fast , light and pretty comfortable, and in my humble opinion one of the best looking cats out there.
You will get more saloon space on say a FP47 or even a FP44, but you won't cruise at 10-12 knots. Cockpit space is superb, which if you are in the warmer climates is perfect.
There is virtually nothing I would change about the boat to be honest. They have recently launched hull #6, with 7,8 and 9 in build/planning so if you are considering it there maybe a long wait.
What else would you like to know?
gbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 14:44   #100

I also think the Balance 526 is one of the best Catamarans in the market. I hope they send a boat to MIBS or to Annapolis.Thank you @gbr
ANJOKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:38   #101
Marine Service Provider

A few years ago in sydney harbour I had the good fortune to crew on an oram 44c racing against an outremer 51 with a crew onboard and a prospective buyer. We were invited by the broker, I suspect there was an expectation that the outremer 51 would show us up and impress the buyer. We were 15 minutes late to the start line, had to organise the admirals aboard, and we flew past them and beat them by 5 minutes in an elapsed time of 59 minutes. Thats 20 minutes quicker, they also had a gennaker and we ran a cutter rig with a reacher. So their sail wardrobe was much better than ours and the main we were using was replaced 6 months or so after this race. This boat has a 5kva diesel genset and a dinghy with a total weight around 140 kg. It is a long term liveaboard boat with a full size domestic fridge freezer watermaker fishing gear the lot, so no stripped out carbon racer. If you want a fast boat build an Oram and leave the dishwaher and air fryer at home.
sailhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:34   #102

The same boat pulled out 5 miles on "Zero", an all carbon Schionning G Force on a sail from Pancake to Bundy.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 17:08   #103

Boat: Outremer 51, J80

If you can afford the HH - hands down- I would do the HH. Not quite our budget, and trading some size for performance seemed reasonable - speed is fun, it is safe and it is sleep - at anchor because you got there 4 days ahead of the FP et. al.
Wife and drooled over the HH - but the Outremer 51 hit the sweet spot of compromises and we will only be 'living' on it for 2-3 months at a time so we think we'll be fine. The ITA looks nice, but like Catana has the outboard and way back helm stations, and having recently sailed on I can tell you we felt 'exposed' - could not shake the fear of falling off the back! Our friends who bought it have a permanent tether at the helm stations. The Outremer have the tiller seats but much farther forward and the 'bucket' feels super safe and stable. Also - you are the guinea pig for the ITA - and hey are paying you to be that by offering a heckuva alot of boat for a very good price. Cheers
RELENTLESS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote