Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2018, 09:05   #31

Re: Performance Cat makers?

TS-50 and TS-52 christophe bureau designs ...
Catmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 14:35   #32

Boat: Outremer 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliohale View Post
I believe the base boat is in the low 800K euro range but be sure to compare apples to apples when comparing price. I found out that many standard features on the ITA are options on other boats. Plus, you need to really consider details such as the use of epoxy resin and carbon reinforcing. I also found that overall the ITA components are higher quality for things like the windless, sails, rigging, pumps, fixtures, and so on.

Look, here is the bottom line when comparing, find your 2 or 3 top choices based on your requirements. Then push the manufactures to provide you with the detailed build specs and list of materials/components in the base boat price. Talk to current owners, Do a factory visit for your two top boats, meet the actual people responsible for building your boat. Then go with the manufacture and dealer that you have the most confidence in. No matter how good the boat looks or how good the specs are, if the build execution is poor then it will be a miserable experience and very costly to make corrections.

Gary
The specifications and design look very similar to an Outremer 51, except the Outremer has diesel engines.
Cayuse51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 15:03   #33

Boat: Lagoon 450S

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Beautiful boat. But, electric drives?.... ugh

Matt
The ITA is available at a lower price with diesel engines.

Gary
iliohale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 15:08   #34

Boat: Lagoon 450S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayuse51 View Post
The specifications and design look very similar to an Outremer 51, except the Outremer has diesel engines.
The ITA is available with diesel engines for a lower price. BTW, I love the Outremers, think they are great boats and well built by a manufacturer who really cares about their products and owners. However, when you really look at the ITA vs. the O51 you will find some differences. Specifically, load capacity, usable space, and overall build quality. I also believe that the ITA will challenge the O51 on performance. We will see.

Gary
iliohale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 15:45   #35

Boat: Outremer 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliohale View Post
The ITA is available with diesel engines for a lower price. BTW, I love the Outremers, think they are great boats and well built by a manufacturer who really cares about their products and owners. However, when you really look at the ITA vs. the O51 you will find some differences. Specifically, load capacity, usable space, and overall build quality. I also believe that the ITA will challenge the O51 on performance. We will see.

Gary
Yes, we have a Outremer 51 which we bought new in 2016. The guys on the Outremer team have been extremely responsive and helpful in providing after purchase service. We now have 20,000 miles on the log crossing both the Atlantic and Pacific and have been very pleased with the boat, particularly how well it sails. What some forget about a performance cat is the ability to sail fast in a breeze with very little sail up, which makes boat handling much easier on the crew. We did eight 200+ mile days in a row crossing from the Galapagos to the Marquesas with only a double reefed main and working jib with winds between 18 and 30 knots.
Cayuse51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 22:40   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatingnewbie View Post
Haha. Yeah... in looking to buy a catamaran I'm just not looking forward to cruising at 6-7 knots most of the time. "Time is money" as they say, and I'd much rather have a faster sailing boat.

What average cruising speed do you consider would satisfy your need for speed? (10 knots, 15 knots 20 knots?) My next question would be what cruising load you would want to carry at that speed. (1 tonne, 3 tonnes 6 tonnes) That will play a big part in working backwards to what boat will do the job and the cost of such a boat.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 23:01   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
What average cruising speed do you consider would satisfy your need for speed? (10 knots, 15 knots 20 knots?) My next question would be what cruising load you would want to carry at that speed. (1 tonne, 3 tonnes 6 tonnes) That will play a big part in working backwards to what boat will do the job and the cost of such a boat.
I'd love to have a boat that could easily cruise around 15 knots and motorsail around 10 knots in light winds. As for cruising load, that's a good question... I'm not exactly sure.
boatingnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 01:03   #38

Quote:
I'd love to have a boat that could easily cruise around 15 knots and motorsail around 10 knots in light winds. As for cruising load, that's a good question... I'm not exactly sure.

Here you go
https://www.yachtingworld.com/review...-550-boat-test
Old 18-08-2018, 01:48   #39

Quote:

For Load - look at the Lagoon 440 load calculation which totals 5.9 tonnes, then add or subtract from it what you may or may not want and you will get a rough idea of the load capacity you may need in a 44 - 60ft cat

it can be found on page 5 & 6 here
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...?page=5#manual
Old 18-08-2018, 08:36   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I saw that review video from Yachting World of that Rapier 550. Interesting boat for sure.

One thing I noticed in the video (in 2 videos of it sailing, actually) is that you could hear massive creaking of the boat construction non-stop. That would drive me crazy (and others too that posted in the comments). I wonder if that was just because it was probably hull #1 of that boat and they hadn't yet worked all of that out?
Old 18-08-2018, 09:21   #41

Quote:

Rapido 60, Gunboat, or a powerboat!
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 18:23   #42

Tag 60
Catmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 20:49   #43

Boat: LAGOON 400

so, you accepted to take little food, little diesel, little alcohol, etc, etc for reward of fast passaging...

Looking at the action of boats out there in open ocean, Eric Lerouge designs and build quality win my vote.

Gunboat and other recent entrants have not been field tested enough to trust them. Testing boat in flat water and boasting with numbers should not qualify as test except if you want to use boat for whale watching or snokelling tours
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 01:41   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
so, you accepted to take little food, little diesel, little alcohol, etc, etc for reward of fast passaging...

Looking at the action of boats out there in open ocean, Eric Lerouge designs and build quality win my vote.
What are the brand names of his designs?
Old 19-08-2018, 08:35   #45

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

One model is Freydis (Freddie). Use Google, look on Yachtworld, etc..

Cheers,