Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2015, 13:54   #76
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 531
Re: Performance 50-55' Cats: Outremer vs Catana vs Swiss Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
It is a wonder I ever get back alive.

So, Mr. BigBeakie, why couldn't you see 360 when helming my boat model, like everyone else can?

Dave
If you can see the opposite bow quarter from the lee helm, that is great. If you have a good set of wet weather gear, even better
__________________

__________________
BigBeakie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 14:49   #77
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 10,016
Send a message via Skype™ to Jim Cate
Re: Performance 50-55' Cats: Outremer vs Catana vs Swiss Catamaran

As a inexperienced observer, I find it interesting that in this and other similar threads, the folks who deride the Catana style helm position don't seem to have sailed much on them, while the folks who actually own and use them seem to like them.

Isn't that odd?

Jim
__________________

__________________
Jim and Ann
s/v Insatiable II, back in Hobart for slipping and other unpleasant activities.
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 15:24   #78
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mackay,QLD, Australia
Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat
Posts: 3,523
Images: 3
Re: Performance 50-55' Cats: Outremer vs Catana vs Swiss Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
As a inexperienced observer, I find it interesting that in this and other similar threads, the folks who deride the Catana style helm position don't seem to have sailed much on them, while the folks who actually own and use them seem to like them.

Isn't that odd?

Jim
Without having sailed on one Jim I really believe that good sun protection is one of the most important aspects for a cruising liveaboard in the Pacific. Again its all personal likes and dislikes. Against that the engineering aspects of the Catana steering mechanisms are excellent.
__________________
downunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 16:21   #79
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,043
Images: 12
Re: Performance 50-55' Cats: Outremer vs Catana vs Swiss Catamaran

I have sailed them. They aren't my preference for reasons that downunder touches on, but I would trade boats with 2hulls in a heartbeat. They certainly wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me.

Similarly, there are people who deride sail drives and Volvo engines without seeming to have much experience with them, while those that own them shake their heads.

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:53   #80
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sailing the Caribbean
Boat: Switch 51
Posts: 1,398
Re: Performance 50-55' Cats: Outremer vs Catana vs Swiss Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Without having sailed on one Jim I really believe that good sun protection is one of the most important aspects for a cruising liveaboard in the Pacific. Again its all personal likes and dislikes. Against that the engineering aspects of the Catana steering mechanisms are excellent.
Sun protection is obviously important in most cruising areas. But with the AP doing the steering 95% of the time, it's just not often an issue with aft helms.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:40   #81
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 10,016
Send a message via Skype™ to Jim Cate
Re: Performance 50-55' Cats: Outremer vs Catana vs Swiss Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Sun protection is obviously important in most cruising areas. But with the AP doing the steering 95% of the time, it's just not often an issue with aft helms.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Agreed.

We have chosen to not fit a Bimini on our monohull aft cockpit yacht. We live aboard and cruise full time. We are in the tropics much of the year.

We do have a cockpit awning that we use at anchor, and a small 'underway awning" that we occasionally fit at sea. But for the most part, when on passage we sit under the dodger whilst the autopilot drives the boat.

Perhaps the above explains my take on the Catana style helms. Again, I do not claim experience in these boats... I was commenting on the difference in perception between folks who do have experience and t hose who pontificate from their armchairs.

Cheers,

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann
s/v Insatiable II, back in Hobart for slipping and other unpleasant activities.
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 15:53   #82
Registered User
 
Mirage Gecko's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sunshine Coast Hinterland
Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3
Posts: 422
Re: Performance 50-55' Cats: Outremer vs Catana vs Swiss Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Sun protection is obviously important in most cruising areas. But with the AP doing the steering 95% of the time, it's just not often an issue with aft helms.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Not firing a shot here but I see this comment often in the defence of open helms.
Fully agree about the AP but I for one like to keep my eye on where we are going and gauges for both motors and sailing(although being a cat mostly motoring).With a covered helm area I can do this all day and in comfort and still be able to interreact with whats happening in the cockpit or saloon.Plus no need to wear wet weather gear in 30C plus temps if rain squalls are about.
With the rear helm that you are not seated at do you need to have extra instrumentation and AP control away from the helm and where actually do you sit to see what's happening in front of you or do you need to be up and down every minute or so.
Obviously personal choice but the benefits of enclosed are clear but while there must be benefits to open they are not so clear to me but happy to be enlightened.
Maybe this covered area also has a fair bit to do with your country of origin.When I was a kid in Australia we baked in the sun and even put oil on to help with our cooking now we are encouraged to enjoy the outdoors but cover up and use plenty of sunscreen whereas I don't think some other countries are as proactive with this message.


Chris
__________________
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 18:01   #83
Registered User
 
Barra's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Cruising Greek Islands
Boat: Phisa 42
Posts: 764
Re: Performance 50-55' Cats: Outremer vs Catana vs Swiss Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
Not firing a shot here but I see this comment often in the defence of open helms.
Fully agree about the AP but I for one like to keep my eye on where we are going and gauges for both motors and sailing(although being a cat mostly motoring).With a covered helm area I can do this all day and in comfort and still be able to interreact with whats happening in the cockpit or saloon.Plus no need to wear wet weather gear in 30C plus temps if rain squalls are about.
With the rear helm that you are not seated at do you need to have extra instrumentation and AP control away from the helm and where actually do you sit to see what's happening in front of you or do you need to be up and down every minute or so.
Obviously personal choice but the benefits of enclosed are clear but while there must be benefits to open they are not so clear to me but happy to be enlightened.
Maybe this covered area also has a fair bit to do with your country of origin.When I was a kid in Australia we baked in the sun and even put oil on to help with our cooking now we are encouraged to enjoy the outdoors but cover up and use plenty of sunscreen whereas I don't think some other countries are as proactive with this message.


Chris

Yep Chris your touching on watchkeeping vs actual helming - a differentiation often missed it seems by the ones who have never/rarely sailed with aft helms but like to deride them nonetheless for some reason. Maybe because they are used to doing both from the same spot?

We watchkeep from saloon, cockpit and helms depending on conditions or preferences, even from the tramp on nice days if motoring or downwind under spinny

We have instrument repeaters on the bulkhead and at the navstation but often use the tablet and smart pilot as well. Views forward from cockpit are around either bulkhead from reclining seating or over the bulkhead/ between the bimini.
__________________
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 18:37   #84
Registered User
 
Mirage Gecko's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sunshine Coast Hinterland
Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3
Posts: 422
Re: Performance 50-55' Cats: Outremer vs Catana vs Swiss Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
Yep Chris your touching on watchkeeping vs actual helming - a differentiation often missed it seems by the ones who have never/rarely sailed with aft helms but like to deride them nonetheless for some reason. Maybe because they are used to doing both from the same spot?

We watchkeep from saloon, cockpit and helms depending on conditions or preferences, even from the tramp on nice days if motoring or downwind under spinny

We have instrument repeaters on the bulkhead and at the navstation but often use the tablet and smart pilot as well. Views forward from cockpit are around either bulkhead from reclining seating or over the bulkhead/ between the bimini.
First to admit very limited experience with aft helms.I do understand the differentiation though and I am certainly used to and like doing both from the same spot although I can if I wish watch keep from the same other spots as an open helmed boat and do on occasion.
No derision intended from me simply looking at the reasons why you would want an open helm area
__________________
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 19:16   #85
Registered User
 
Barra's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Cruising Greek Islands
Boat: Phisa 42
Posts: 764
Re: Performance 50-55' Cats: Outremer vs Catana vs Swiss Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
First to admit very limited experience with aft helms.I do understand the differentiation though and I am certainly used to and like doing both from the same spot although I can if I wish watch keep from the same other spots as an open helmed boat and do on occasion.
No derision intended from me simply looking at the reasons why you would want an open helm area
Yep the point is you arent tied to the helm to watchkeep which clearly you get but for some reason some dont. This is the main negative that the anti aft helm brigade keep going to and its simply not real 95% of the time.

The advantages of dual aft helms are well documented - try a search on here and you will see many discussions all much the same as Jim mentioned

Obviously Ive made my choice based on my preferences, and to me the pluses over other types are -

1. Simply the best spot to helm from when sailing - full sail and wave visibility from each helm and the ability to change sides for tacks, boat motion excellent from here under sail especially to wind.

2.More direct linkage to rudders - no hydaulics, rudder feedback and "feel" when sailing, less chance of breakages, dual redundancy for safety etc

3. Easier shorthanded docking. Im now practiced enough to med moor solo in tight spots and Ive seen the same done on a 50 foot Catana - try that with any other design.

4.More cockpit room vs bulkhead helms or no need for raised booms added mast height and extra windage of flybridge helms

If your going to motor 100% of the time like that other thread then ill be the first to admit dual aft helms have no place
__________________
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 10:49   #86
Registered User
 
admiralslater's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Toronto summer rest somewhere else
Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36
Posts: 520
Re: Performance 50-55' Cats: Outremer vs Catana vs Swiss Catamaran

When we were looking for a larger cat the 431 was at the top of my list and I had the usual questions about the helm. What really surprised me was just how much more open the cockpit can be with the out board helm. We did not buy one, but the helm position was not an issue.
David
__________________
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 11:28   #87
Registered User
 
tomfl's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Posts: 1,822
Images: 10
Re: Performance 50-55' Cats: Outremer vs Catana vs Swiss Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
Yep the point is you arent tied to the helm to watchkeep which clearly you get but for some reason some dont. This is the main negative that the anti aft helm brigade keep going to and its simply not real 95% of the time.

The advantages of dual aft helms are well documented - try a search on here and you will see many discussions all much the same as Jim mentioned

Obviously Ive made my choice based on my preferences, and to me the pluses over other types are -

1. Simply the best spot to helm from when sailing - full sail and wave visibility from each helm and the ability to change sides for tacks, boat motion excellent from here under sail especially to wind.

2.More direct linkage to rudders - no hydaulics, rudder feedback and "feel" when sailing, less chance of breakages, dual redundancy for safety etc

3. Easier shorthanded docking. Im now practiced enough to med moor solo in tight spots and Ive seen the same done on a 50 foot Catana - try that with any other design.

4.More cockpit room vs bulkhead helms or no need for raised booms added mast height and extra windage of flybridge helms

If your going to motor 100% of the time like that other thread then ill be the first to admit dual aft helms have no place
Not sure about other Seawind models but I can speak to mine. The two steering stations are protected by what I will call a dodger which is somewhat custom made for my boat, but in a design that would be easy to duplicate. There are flaps just above my head at both steering stations that can be opened and secured with velcro allowing full view of the main sail. I can also easily move from sitting on top of the engine wells where the steering station is to sitting atop one of the hulls with my upper body in the wind/sun (I find feeling the wind can be helpful in steering the boat and trimming the sails). I also have a dock box I use to store dive gear in the cockpit/saloon that I can somewhat move around and I often put it in the center of the cockpit and sit on it to keep out of the sun on certain points of sail and sun orientation when using the AP. It is literally one step to a steering station, and all out of the weather. I find the visibility on my Seawind as good as any cat I have seen with a hardtop. + for Seawind type layout.

I do understand the advantage of direct linkage to the rudders, + for dual aft helms.

I have never been comfortable docking in tight spots, but the PO was amazing in what he did when we took the boat to the haulout for the survey. I am calling that a push.

I really like the combined cockpit/saloon layout the Seawind has, better than a bulkhead between the cockpit and saloon. There is a huge open area. + for Seawind type layout.

I have to point out what I call a Seawind type layout is shared by some other boats and Seawind may not have been the first, or the last, to use it.

Just as an aside I met a guy with a Catana at BKH and we became friends and sailed on each others boats. Bottom line is we both agreed the Seawind was a more open boat that would most likely be more comfortable in the Bahamas/tropics while the Catana was a better high lat boat with more protected space in cooler weather.

Horses for courses.
__________________
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 13:45   #88
Marine Service Provider
 
Factor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia
Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
Posts: 3,888
Re: Performance 50-55' Cats: Outremer vs Catana vs Swiss Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
, while the folks who actually own and use them seem to like them.

Isn't that odd?

Jim
Not really jim, halo type effect, as in owners of Widget A are keen to support the design features of Widget A, to do other than so would be to admit they bought the wrong widget.
__________________
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 14:12   #89
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Winters cruising; summers Chesapeake Bay
Boat: Catana 471
Posts: 1,235
Re: Performance 50-55' Cats: Outremer vs Catana vs Swiss Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Not really jim, halo type effect, as in owners of Widget A are keen to support the design features of Widget A, to do other than so would be to admit they bought the wrong widget.
Factor has a point here.

Open invitation: anybody who wants to try out my "widgets" to see for yerself just say so. You be de judge to see whether you like widgets. You just have to wait for me to finish my refit (maybe June 2016) and show up where I'm at. Disclaimer: I cannot guarantee snotty weather.

Dave
__________________
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 14:30   #90
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,043
Images: 12
Re: Performance 50-55' Cats: Outremer vs Catana vs Swiss Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
You just have to wait for me to finish my refit (maybe June)

Geez Dave, I had you figured for a much more experienced guy. A refit is NEVER finished...

Mark
__________________

__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
catamaran, catana, outremer

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Outrémer 40/43 v's Catana 401 v's Catana 41 RMH Multihull Sailboats 12 14-07-2015 13:37
Looking at outremer catana balance nautitech Sail power sail Meets & Greets 10 16-06-2015 12:22
Catana 42 or Outremer 42 Maelstrom Multihull Sailboats 37 18-10-2012 13:13
Catana 431 vs Catana 42 Coops2 Multihull Sailboats 3 17-05-2012 08:08
catana 411 or 39 or Outremer 42 ??? redbreast Multihull Sailboats 6 27-05-2008 14:48


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:53.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.