Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2016, 15:53   #1

PDQ 36 LRC

Several PDQ's have started to hit the market lately. Would anybody be able to enlighten me with the pluses and minuses of this small cat? I know that they were originally made in Canada and that the company went out of business and sold their molds.

Looking at it to mostly utilize to build cat time in Gulf, Keys, and maybe island hop. Don't expect to head across the "big pond" in it. However, I would be expecting to make a couple of hops that could possibly have me out there and unable to out run some potential storms.

Thanks
Lifes a beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 21:56   #2

Boat: Leopard 48
Re: PDQ 36 LRC

Check out Zero to Cruising web site. They used to own one, just sold, but from their accounts they loved it.
Old 01-08-2016, 22:21   #3

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Smj,had one and will chime in. I've looked at several 32' and 2 36's made an offer on s 36 at one time and backed out after survey. They are well designed, well made boats. The Lrc model has less storage and is a knot or 2 slower then the ob models. They would be a great choice for what you want to do. Pick a surveyor carefully, there are certain "cat" surveyors in Fl I would avoid.

Sent from my PLT1077G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:23   #4

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenrms View Post
Check out Zero to Cruising web site. They used to own one, just sold, but from their accounts they loved it.

They had a 32 with outboards.....different beast than the 36 with diesels.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:30   #5

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse

Most of the 32's and 36's are outboards very few of the LRC's with the Diesel engines.
Nice boat. I've had my 32 for 7 years and don't see myself trading up anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:14   #6
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Nice boats. Well built, and for us probably the most livable catamaran of this size. Fantastic ventilation with numerous opening hatches and ports, something very important that seems to be overlooked. We had the outboard model and in my opinion the boat wasn't designed for the extra weight of the diesels. They sail well but must be kept light.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:34   #7

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Nice boats. Well built, and for us probably the most livable catamaran of this size. Fantastic ventilation with numerous opening hatches and ports, something very important that seems to be overlooked. We had the outboard model and in my opinion the boat wasn't designed for the extra weight of the diesels. They sail well but must be kept light.

I was on SMJ's boat when it was in BKH. I have to say he and his wife kept that boat cleaner than almost any boat I have ever seen. It was a very comfortable liveaboard. On the other hand before I bought my Seawind from SMJ (which was also a very clean boat) I looked at a couple of PDQs. One was in the process of a major refit and not in the best shape. Not trying to say don't get a survey, but often times it is easy to eliminate a boat without a survey.

Just my two cents but it is always better to pay more up front for a boat that is ready to go than pay less for one you will wind up spending big boat bucks on to get it ready to sail.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:00   #8

We looked at a couple way back. They appear to be nice boats but a little pricey for comparable.

Personally, I would prefer the outboard version with newer 4 stroke motors over the diesel. With the mounting PDQ uses, most of the downsides of outboard are eliminated as are most of the downsides of diesel.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 13:00   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
We looked at a couple way back. They appear to be nice boats but a little pricey for comparable.

Personally, I would prefer the outboard version with newer 4 stroke motors over the diesel. With the mounting PDQ uses, most of the downsides of outboard are eliminated as are most of the downsides of diesel.
I am a big fan of outboards for many reasons; maybe the biggest is I am able to choose when I go out based on the wind direction so I sail a lot.

But I do wonder about your comment that PDQs are 'a little pricey for comparable'. I am not sure what boats you are comparing they with. I would put them between a Gemini which is cheaper but lacks the quality of a PDQ and a Seawind which seems better quality than the PDQ. Maybe my ratings are wrong.
Old 02-08-2016, 13:18   #10
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
I am a big fan of outboards for many reasons; maybe the biggest is I am able to choose when I go out based on the wind direction so I sail a lot.

But I do wonder about your comment that PDQs are 'a little pricey for comparable'. I am not sure what boats you are comparing they with. I would put them between a Gemini which is cheaper but lacks the quality of a PDQ and a Seawind which seems better quality than the PDQ. Maybe my ratings are wrong.
Exactly. Older Gemini's tend to show their age, wereas PDQs and Seawinds are very solid. No "fixer-uppers."
Old 02-08-2016, 14:22   #11

Quote:

We were looking back in 2007 in the eastern USA. Didn't come across any seawinds.

I'm not suggesting PDQs are bad boats. Just not enough difference in quality to justify the price difference with other low to mid 30' cats.

PS: I'm not clear why being able to choose your wind direction makes outboards a better option or was that intended as a backhand knock against them?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 14:48   #12
smj

The prices of the PDQ 36 do seem to have dropped in the past year. No question the PDQ is built to a higher standard than Gemini and in my opinion probably comparable to the Seawind. I believe the PDQ and Seawind both seem to demand a higher price than most comparable cats in size and year. Both brands seem to have a following.

Old 02-08-2016, 16:59   #13

Quote:
The prices of the PDQ 36 do seem to have dropped in the past year. No question the PDQ is built to a higher standard than Gemini and in my opinion probably comparable to the Seawind. I believe the PDQ and Seawind both seem to demand a higher price than most comparable cats in size and year. Both brands seem to have a following.

The big difference I notice between the PDQ and Seawind is the open cockpit/salon on the Seawind compared to the PDQ. In some ways I really liked Josh's old boat with the soft top over the salon, it had more open space to let the air flow in at anchor and was also easier and quicker to put up the windows when it rained. A PDQ seems much more cut up with smaller rooms. I also think the mast on a Seawind is way overbuilt compared to a PDQ. I never saw a PDQ I considered trading straight up for my Seawind.

Of course we all know that the boat you own is better than all the other boats.
Old 02-08-2016, 17:21   #14
smj

Quote:
The big difference I notice between the PDQ and Seawind is the open cockpit/salon on the Seawind compared to the PDQ. In some ways I really liked Josh's old boat with the soft top over the salon, it had more open space to let the air flow in at anchor and was also easier and quicker to put up the windows when it rained. A PDQ seems much more cut up with smaller rooms. I also think the mast on a Seawind is way overbuilt compared to a PDQ. I never saw a PDQ I considered trading straight up for my Seawind.

Of course we all know that the boat you own is better than all the other boats.

Ah but Tom, we no longer own the PDQ so I think we can give a pretty fair evaluation. Everything considered, the Seawind 1000 is the cat we have enjoyed the most out of the 10 we have owned. Can't talk about #10 yet as she is new to us:-). I agree, absolutely love the cockpit open to the salon, nothing like it. I'm also fully aware that a good percentage of cat buyers wouldn't like this and would be happier with the enclosed salon which the PDQ has. I can't agree with the PDQ being more cut up. Both hulls are open to the bridgedeck where in the Seawind the hulls and bridgedeck are completely separated. There's no doubt the Seawind has a very beefy rig, though it also has a lot more standing rigging involved. I was impressed with the construction of both the PDQ and Seawind. No stress cracks to be seen and the glasswork seemed really clean. Except for the salon open to the cockpit I would have to say the PDQ was more livable. When it comes to performance, the joy of sailing and the motion, no doubt the Seawind was superior. Somehow Seawind got it just right on there design of the 1000.

Old 02-08-2016, 17:52   #15

Quote:
SNIP

I agree, absolutely love the cockpit open to the salon, nothing like it. I'm also fully aware that a good percentage of cat buyers wouldn't like this and would be happier with the enclosed salon which the PDQ has.

SNIP
Not Charles, he likes the open deck on his Shuttleworth and for him and the way he entertains I have to agree. When Ellen was doing the entertaining on my boat she thought there was really not enough space for everyone she wanted to entertain.

Bottom line for me is I really don't like a crowd on the boat so I selected a boat to meet my needs. I did look at PDQs and they are not bad boats. But as you mentioned the biggest difference between a PDQ and a Seawind is sailing ability, something I put a big priority on. Still think I made the best choice for a boat for me.

Tags
pdq