Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2016, 16:53   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 11
PDQ 36 LRC

Several PDQ's have started to hit the market lately. Would anybody be able to enlighten me with the pluses and minuses of this small cat? I know that they were originally made in Canada and that the company went out of business and sold their molds.

Looking at it to mostly utilize to build cat time in Gulf, Keys, and maybe island hop. Don't expect to head across the "big pond" in it. However, I would be expecting to make a couple of hops that could possibly have me out there and unable to out run some potential storms.

Thanks
__________________

__________________
Lifes a beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 22:56   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Nevada/Ft Lauderdale
Boat: Leopard 48
Posts: 40
Re: PDQ 36 LRC

Check out Zero to Cruising web site. They used to own one, just sold, but from their accounts they loved it.
__________________

__________________
Owen
owenrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 23:21   #3
Registered User
 
Dulcesuenos's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida Keys, Bahamas Bound
Boat: 38' French Cat
Posts: 2,725
Images: 4
Re: PDQ 36 LRC

Smj,had one and will chime in. I've looked at several 32' and 2 36's made an offer on s 36 at one time and backed out after survey. They are well designed, well made boats. The Lrc model has less storage and is a knot or 2 slower then the ob models. They would be a great choice for what you want to do. Pick a surveyor carefully, there are certain "cat" surveyors in Fl I would avoid.

Sent from my PLT1077G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Dulcesuenos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:23   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 4,859
Re: PDQ 36 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenrms View Post
Check out Zero to Cruising web site. They used to own one, just sold, but from their accounts they loved it.

They had a 32 with outboards.....different beast than the 36 with diesels.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:30   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Posts: 599
Re: PDQ 36 LRC

Most of the 32's and 36's are outboards very few of the LRC's with the Diesel engines.
Nice boat. I've had my 32 for 7 years and don't see myself trading up anytime soon.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:14   #6
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: galveston tx.
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,044
Re: PDQ 36 LRC

Nice boats. Well built, and for us probably the most livable catamaran of this size. Fantastic ventilation with numerous opening hatches and ports, something very important that seems to be overlooked. We had the outboard model and in my opinion the boat wasn't designed for the extra weight of the diesels. They sail well but must be kept light.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:34   #7
Registered User
 
tomfl's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Posts: 1,761
Images: 10
Re: PDQ 36 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Nice boats. Well built, and for us probably the most livable catamaran of this size. Fantastic ventilation with numerous opening hatches and ports, something very important that seems to be overlooked. We had the outboard model and in my opinion the boat wasn't designed for the extra weight of the diesels. They sail well but must be kept light.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I was on SMJ's boat when it was in BKH. I have to say he and his wife kept that boat cleaner than almost any boat I have ever seen. It was a very comfortable liveaboard. On the other hand before I bought my Seawind from SMJ (which was also a very clean boat) I looked at a couple of PDQs. One was in the process of a major refit and not in the best shape. Not trying to say don't get a survey, but often times it is easy to eliminate a boat without a survey.

Just my two cents but it is always better to pay more up front for a boat that is ready to go than pay less for one you will wind up spending big boat bucks on to get it ready to sail.
__________________
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:00   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,006
Re: PDQ 36 LRC

We looked at a couple way back. They appear to be nice boats but a little pricey for comparable.


Personally, I would prefer the outboard version with newer 4 stroke motors over the diesel. With the mounting PDQ uses, most of the downsides of outboard are eliminated as are most of the downsides of diesel.
__________________
valhalla360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 14:00   #9
Registered User
 
tomfl's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Posts: 1,761
Images: 10
Re: PDQ 36 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
We looked at a couple way back. They appear to be nice boats but a little pricey for comparable.


Personally, I would prefer the outboard version with newer 4 stroke motors over the diesel. With the mounting PDQ uses, most of the downsides of outboard are eliminated as are most of the downsides of diesel.
I am a big fan of outboards for many reasons; maybe the biggest is I am able to choose when I go out based on the wind direction so I sail a lot.

But I do wonder about your comment that PDQs are 'a little pricey for comparable'. I am not sure what boats you are comparing they with. I would put them between a Gemini which is cheaper but lacks the quality of a PDQ and a Seawind which seems better quality than the PDQ. Maybe my ratings are wrong.
__________________
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 14:18   #10
Registered User
 
thinwater's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Deale, MD
Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34, "Shoal Survivor"
Posts: 3,613
Re: PDQ 36 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
I am a big fan of outboards for many reasons; maybe the biggest is I am able to choose when I go out based on the wind direction so I sail a lot.

But I do wonder about your comment that PDQs are 'a little pricey for comparable'. I am not sure what boats you are comparing they with. I would put them between a Gemini which is cheaper but lacks the quality of a PDQ and a Seawind which seems better quality than the PDQ. Maybe my ratings are wrong.
Exactly. Older Gemini's tend to show their age, wereas PDQs and Seawinds are very solid. No "fixer-uppers."
__________________
"Climbing (sailing) is like fun, only different."

Tom Pattey, Scottish ice climber



http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 15:22   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,006
Re: PDQ 36 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
I am a big fan of outboards for many reasons; maybe the biggest is I am able to choose when I go out based on the wind direction so I sail a lot.

But I do wonder about your comment that PDQs are 'a little pricey for comparable'. I am not sure what boats you are comparing they with. I would put them between a Gemini which is cheaper but lacks the quality of a PDQ and a Seawind which seems better quality than the PDQ. Maybe my ratings are wrong.
We were looking back in 2007 in the eastern USA. Didn't come across any seawinds.

I'm not suggesting PDQs are bad boats. Just not enough difference in quality to justify the price difference with other low to mid 30' cats.

PS: I'm not clear why being able to choose your wind direction makes outboards a better option or was that intended as a backhand knock against them?
__________________
valhalla360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 15:48   #12
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: galveston tx.
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,044
Re: PDQ 36 LRC

The prices of the PDQ 36 do seem to have dropped in the past year. No question the PDQ is built to a higher standard than Gemini and in my opinion probably comparable to the Seawind. I believe the PDQ and Seawind both seem to demand a higher price than most comparable cats in size and year. Both brands seem to have a following.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 17:59   #13
Registered User
 
tomfl's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Posts: 1,761
Images: 10
Re: PDQ 36 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
The prices of the PDQ 36 do seem to have dropped in the past year. No question the PDQ is built to a higher standard than Gemini and in my opinion probably comparable to the Seawind. I believe the PDQ and Seawind both seem to demand a higher price than most comparable cats in size and year. Both brands seem to have a following.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
The big difference I notice between the PDQ and Seawind is the open cockpit/salon on the Seawind compared to the PDQ. In some ways I really liked Josh's old boat with the soft top over the salon, it had more open space to let the air flow in at anchor and was also easier and quicker to put up the windows when it rained. A PDQ seems much more cut up with smaller rooms. I also think the mast on a Seawind is way overbuilt compared to a PDQ. I never saw a PDQ I considered trading straight up for my Seawind.

Of course we all know that the boat you own is better than all the other boats.
__________________
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 18:21   #14
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: galveston tx.
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,044
Re: PDQ 36 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
The big difference I notice between the PDQ and Seawind is the open cockpit/salon on the Seawind compared to the PDQ. In some ways I really liked Josh's old boat with the soft top over the salon, it had more open space to let the air flow in at anchor and was also easier and quicker to put up the windows when it rained. A PDQ seems much more cut up with smaller rooms. I also think the mast on a Seawind is way overbuilt compared to a PDQ. I never saw a PDQ I considered trading straight up for my Seawind.

Of course we all know that the boat you own is better than all the other boats.

Ah but Tom, we no longer own the PDQ so I think we can give a pretty fair evaluation. Everything considered, the Seawind 1000 is the cat we have enjoyed the most out of the 10 we have owned. Can't talk about #10 yet as she is new to us:-). I agree, absolutely love the cockpit open to the salon, nothing like it. I'm also fully aware that a good percentage of cat buyers wouldn't like this and would be happier with the enclosed salon which the PDQ has. I can't agree with the PDQ being more cut up. Both hulls are open to the bridgedeck where in the Seawind the hulls and bridgedeck are completely separated. There's no doubt the Seawind has a very beefy rig, though it also has a lot more standing rigging involved. I was impressed with the construction of both the PDQ and Seawind. No stress cracks to be seen and the glasswork seemed really clean. Except for the salon open to the cockpit I would have to say the PDQ was more livable. When it comes to performance, the joy of sailing and the motion, no doubt the Seawind was superior. Somehow Seawind got it just right on there design of the 1000.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 18:52   #15
Registered User
 
tomfl's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Posts: 1,761
Images: 10
Re: PDQ 36 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
SNIP

I agree, absolutely love the cockpit open to the salon, nothing like it. I'm also fully aware that a good percentage of cat buyers wouldn't like this and would be happier with the enclosed salon which the PDQ has.

SNIP
Not Charles, he likes the open deck on his Shuttleworth and for him and the way he entertains I have to agree. When Ellen was doing the entertaining on my boat she thought there was really not enough space for everyone she wanted to entertain.

Bottom line for me is I really don't like a crowd on the boat so I selected a boat to meet my needs. I did look at PDQs and they are not bad boats. But as you mentioned the biggest difference between a PDQ and a Seawind is sailing ability, something I put a big priority on. Still think I made the best choice for a boat for me.
__________________

__________________
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pdq

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Caliber LRC 40 Greg Riach Monohull Sailboats 24 03-01-2017 09:36
For Sale: 1999 PDQ 32 LRC FOR SALE - BRAVO 2 Hull#39 tucksterr Classifieds Archive 0 17-05-2016 21:22
For Sale: PDQ 32 Altair LRC PDQ 32 Classifieds Archive 2 17-10-2013 14:15
Any Caliber LRC owners here? Redbull addict Monohull Sailboats 6 23-05-2008 15:53
PDQ 36 LRC Philip R. McGovern Multihull Sailboats 9 16-02-2007 05:28


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:36.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.