Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2019, 19:37   #1

Boat: Corbin 39, hull #145
PDQ 36, After the capsize, possible silver lining?

I'm involved with helping my friend part out his PDQ 36 LRC that capsized on Lake Erie off of Lorain, Ohio on September11,2019.
The boat is now on the hard as we slowly work thru the careful removal of all mechanical systems.
We are taking care to preserve the integrity of the primary hull and deck structure. All hatches, ports and helm components are being retained for the time being while we investigate selling the boat as a rebuild project.
All hull and deck damage was the result of the salvage barge efforts to turn over the boat so that it could be hauled out right side up.
At first, the entire boat appeared to be a total loss.
As we worked to remove everything on board for the post capsize survey, it become obvious to me the the basic hull and deck structure came through remarkably well
The vacuum bagged foam core fiberglass laminate structure of the hulls and deck are in excellent condition.
Unlike a catamaran that capsized and/or washed ashore in a hurricane driven marina pile-up, this particular boat just ended up floating upside-down in fresh water for 50 hours or so before being righted.
All of the salvage damage is cosmetic in nature and certainly can be remedied with appropriate composite repairs.
The water damage took its toll on the Yanmar diesel sail drives, ac, refrigeration, diesel genset, electronics and soft goods.
On the plus side, what remains it a good head start for anyone who ever considered building their own cruising catamaran.
I will post some pictures on Monday that will show interior/exterior condition as we continue with equipment removal.
Marine surveyor estimated 750 to 800 man hours to return boat to service as originally equipped so from his point of view the boat is a total loss.
Please feel free to post any questions or comments about this potential rebuild project.
You can also private message me with you inquiries.
I am representing the owner regarding this effort.
If no interest is generated by May 1, 2020 the boat will most likely be cut up for landfill disposal
Luff Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 07:49   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: PDQ 36, After the capsize, possible silver lining?

I would be interested in the hatches if they become available. And probably quite a few random items as well.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 11:48   #3

Thanks for your interest, we are trying to sell the boat as a "almost bare hull and deck" rebuild project rather than parting out.
There are pictures on sailboat listings.com, add posted about an hour ago under PDQ
Old 30-09-2019, 12:13   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Was she insured? If so, what does the underwriter have to say about your plan? If the boat is totalled, surely they own the remains?
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 12:17   #5
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luff Shack View Post
Thanks for your interest, we are trying to sell the boat as a "almost bare hull and deck" rebuild project rather than parting out.
There are pictures on sailboat listings.com, add posted about an hour ago under PDQ

You have the PDQ listed under monohulls on sailboatlistings, much more exposure if you move it to the catamaran section.
Price?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 12:37   #6

The insurance matter is settled.
The company who sold the coverage prefers not to be involved with removing/disposing of the boat and turned it back over to the owner as a salvaged boat that is written off .
Regarding the classification in sailboatlistings.com, sorry for the misclassification but they have PDQ listed as one of their common types to search for below their homepage header.
Old 05-09-2020, 18:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luff Shack View Post
The insurance matter is settled.
The company who sold the coverage prefers not to be involved with removing/disposing of the boat and turned it back over to the owner as a salvaged boat that is written off .
Regarding the classification in sailboatlistings.com, sorry for the misclassification but they have PDQ listed as one of their common types to search for below their homepage header.
Is the pdq still available? I’d be interested.
blcmaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 18:08   #8

Is the boat still available? I’d be interested.
blcmaple is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capsize, pdq, size