Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2012, 11:45   #61

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by webejammin
"I would recommend the PDQ over the Gem. The PDQ feels solid and strong, the Gem feels more like the old MacGregor I used to have."

amytom your MacGregor must have been really stable ours was not stable a really tender boat even for a monohull. We sold our MacGregor 26M after buying our Gemini 105Mc and there is no compairson with any cat even a Hobie 16.
I wasn't referring to the stability just the build quality. The Gem is a lightweight boat where the PDQ feels tougher.
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 17:17   #62

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: PDQ 32 vs Gemini 105MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post

I'm talking myself back into the Gemini, aren't I.

Do the Gemini rudders both kickup simultaneously, or can they kick up independently?

Ummmmm..................yea.

They are independent.

It has been a lot of research for you. I did it too.

Bang-for-the-buck has not gone away.
Old 18-01-2012, 18:00   #63
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
I thought this picture i just took in the Keys was appropriate.

[ATTACH]36192[/ATTACH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1954254990.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	36192  
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 18:15   #64

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I thought this picture i just took in the Keys was appropriate.

[ATTACH]36192[/ATTACH
I like to park around the other way,

The bows just on the beach,

Then your rudders and drive leg are well up off the sand and or submerged rocks,

If his drive leg is locked down and a wave came in, Good chance he will snap his drive leg off, As the boat rises and falls. Snap, drive leg has dropped off, or a bent propellor,

The drive leg is not there to support the boat.

The rudders in that situation, could also be pushed up too high resulting in damage to the rudders,

Think before you park, Common sence,

Its a hell of a lot cheaper than fixing broken parts, And the inconvenience of being stuck where you are for weeks,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 19:57   #65

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

44C's 44ft Oram would likely go anywhere a gemini would.

He has kick-up rudders and boards.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 21:24   #66

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Quote:
Originally Posted by amytom View Post
I wasn't referring to the stability just the build quality. The Gem is a lightweight boat where the PDQ feels tougher.
Actually our Gemini 105Mc feels really solid but I'm sure the extra 2 ft of beam on the PDQ makes a difference in feel. One thing our Gemini does have is an encloseable cockpit, summer's great but when the weather turns stormy or cool the enclosure makes a big difference. We sail all winter using the cockpit enclosure and it makes 40 deg F really nice in a sweater. We have only had one of the rudders kick up and that was my falt getting in too shallow.

As far as using an outboard to push a Gemini we have used our dingy tied to one set of steps and our 2.5 Suzuki pushes us at 2.5 kt's at half speed very well when needed.
Old 19-01-2012, 04:44   #67
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
This one of the original Gems, the classic. It has dagger style rudders and an outboard. He is using this as a day anchorage and probably not worried about being put up on the beach as the weather conditions wouldn't warrant it.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 05:31   #68

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by webejammin

Actually our Gemini 105Mc feels really solid but I'm sure the extra 2 ft of beam on the PDQ makes a difference in feel. One thing our Gemini does have is an encloseable cockpit, summer's great but when the weather turns stormy or cool the enclosure makes a big difference. We sail all winter using the cockpit enclosure and it makes 40 deg F really nice in a sweater. We have only had one of the rudders kick up and that was my falt getting in too shallow.

As far as using an outboard to push a Gemini we have used our dingy tied to one set of steps and our 2.5 Suzuki pushes us at 2.5 kt's at half speed very well when needed.
We have an enclosed cockpit as well. One of the best additions I've made. I also duplicated the enclosure in screen too so those warms nights in the Keys can be enjoyed without the ten thousand little "guests".

One thing I do like about the Gem is the beachability. I used to do that with our 26x and the kids really enjoyed it. Oh well, that's what dinghys are for right?

With either boat you can't go wrong, they both have loyal followings and support groups to aid in the learning curve.

Tom
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 05:42   #69
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

If I might paraphrase what I think I am hearing, is that for two people who can keep the boat light AND who really do need the shallowest livable production boat in existance, the Gemini has no direct competition. At any price. DO you really need a boat that can float in two feet of water? notice I didn't say 'sail' in two feet.

BUT if you really don't NEED the draft and/or beam of the Gemini, I am hearing that the PDQ is a more solid boat with a few other advantages.

And again, I think a lot depends upon what equipment you need to take with you to do what you intend to do, and how many people you really plan to sail with. Putting four adults on either boat for a two week trip would put a whole different light on some aspects of it, I think.

But that's not what we intend to do. If we were able to convince ourselves that we can give up on our shallowest draft desires...we would just jump ourselves immediately up into the 42 ft. and up range. If we are giving up on some of the places we want to go, there would be no reason to keep it small anymore.

So, really, in our situation, the PDQ is not competing with the Gemini. If we don't care about draft, the PDQ suddenly has a lot of competition.

There just has to be a reason they've sold 1100 Geminis. It really can't be all THAT crappy of a build quality.

You just obviously cannot overestimate the effect weight will have on their sailing characteristics, and just looking at photos of them from bow-on, the issues with bridgedeck slap are obvious. Good thing they can get into the lee at night. And while screens are a great idea, does anything really keep the little flying teeth midges out other than bug juice or wind?
Old 19-01-2012, 08:26   #70
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Canibul, there are a lot of reasons they've sold 1100 Geminis. They are not a bad boat and they provide great bang for the buck. As to construction quality compared to either the PDQ 36 or 32 - there is a substantial difference. Check out the stress cracks on virtually any Gemini over 5 years old and compare it with a 15 year old PDQ and you will see what people are talking about. In addition, bridgedeck clearance is vastly superior on either PDQ and, while beauty is in the eye of the beholder, most people feel the PDQ's (especially the 36) are more attractive boats.

If the floating draft (with drive leg and rudders up) is that critical to you, however, then the Gemini has it. And yes, tons are available and as indicated, they do provide big bang for the buck.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 08:36   #71
One of Those

Minimum draft is minimum draft. It's the limiting factor as to where you can take the boat. I think Slapdash and a few others have proven that there really isn't a practical limit on the other end.
Old 19-01-2012, 13:03   #72

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I like to park around the other way,

The bows just on the beach,

Then your rudders and drive leg are well up off the sand and or submerged rocks,

If his drive leg is locked down and a wave came in, Good chance he will snap his drive leg off, As the boat rises and falls. Snap, drive leg has dropped off, or a bent propellor,

The drive leg is not there to support the boat.

The rudders in that situation, could also be pushed up too high resulting in damage to the rudders,

Think before you park, Common sence,

Its a hell of a lot cheaper than fixing broken parts, And the inconvenience of being stuck where you are for weeks,
That is a 3000 or a early 3200 model. The rudders come up high enough that they don't touch even if the sterns touch first. Unlike our 105Mc's

It is most probably outboard powered too (as were all 3000s and most 3200s) which I am sure is kicked up.
Old 19-01-2012, 13:07   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by amytom View Post
With either boat you can't go wrong, they both have loyal followings and support groups to aid in the learning curve.

Tom

Yep!

Grrrr, WooF,
Old 19-01-2012, 13:11   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I think Slapdash and a few others have proven that there really isn't a practical limit on the other end.

They are younger than you and I.

Make me younger and I will take off too!
Old 19-01-2012, 13:50   #75
One of Those

I've just returned from a little skiff ride down the island and back. I noticed a nice looking boat anchored over near Sapodilla Bay, and boated by to take a closer look. The boat is a PDQ 36, called "Minuet". Very nice. I spoke with one of the people on board, and they are very happy with the boat. I have to admit, I really do like the looks of the PDQ.

Tags
gemini, gemini 105, pdq