Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2012, 05:44   #46

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Passage Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Among the boats already finished, both boats over 6kt were monohulls (Moody54 and Oyster 46), 2 of the 6 boats under 5kt were multis, a Lagoon42 and an Outremer.
This posts would get a lot of bashing at SA for even sorta implying a Lagoon and an Outremer are in the same class speed wise. Not to say Lagoons are not popular charter cats, but how often do you see an Outremer offered for charter.

Not sure about the Lagoon in the race, but most of the charter ones have four heads which can really weight a boat down. Not to mention Lagoons are often thought to be under canvassed because the peeps who charter them may not be the most experienced sailors.

That being said, as I posted earlier I would bet Dennis Connor on a Lagoon would easily beat me on an Outremer.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 08:17   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
This posts would get a lot of bashing at SA for even sorta implying a Lagoon and an Outremer are in the same class speed wise. Not to say Lagoons are not popular charter cats, but how often do you see an Outremer offered for charter.

Not sure about the Lagoon in the race, but most of the charter ones have four heads which can really weight a boat down. Not to mention Lagoons are often thought to be under canvassed because the peeps who charter them may not be the most experienced sailors.

That being said, as I posted earlier I would bet Dennis Connor on a Lagoon would easily beat me on an Outremer.
Absolutely. But the average cruising couple is probably closer to you (and me) than to Connor on a sliding scale. And, especially so after a few days on the water, pulling rotating 4-hour shifts. That's why in my opinion, you compare apples to apples with amahs instead of apples to Formula race cars.
Old 15-11-2012, 11:00   #48
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjmehra View Post

My plan is to buy something to mess around on initially, say £5k, just to learn the basics, or possibly just charter more (cost will be about the same over the course of 1 year, for chartering a few times vs buying for 5k +fees, maintenance and then selling on fairly quickly), then get something a bit more suited to my needs in due course.
folks, folks, just a reality check here , the OP wants to spend money that would just about buy a good bath...

Dave
Old 15-11-2012, 11:09   #49

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
This posts would get a lot of bashing at SA for even sorta implying a Lagoon and an Outremer are in the same class speed wise.
Yes, well the 'A' of 'SA' is for anarchy so that is to be expected.

Whereas here we are on a 'forum' where a little more moderation is to be expected lest the moderators come and 'moderate' you.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 11:29   #50

No...I want to buy a bath to play around with....for a few months/a year...with a view to buying something a bit more performance cruising orientated once I have a bit more experience.
vjmehra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 12:35   #51

Quote:
I disagree in cruising trim multi's are not going to be doing significantly better than a monohull which means they really don't have the boat speed to outrun storms. Unless we are talking about 60' boats, of course.
I disagree. We almost always do significantly better than monohulls of similar length, or even boats considerably longer. On a recent 800 mile passage we arrived nearly 24 hours before the first monohull making the same passage.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 12:42   #52

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I disagree. We almost always do significantly better than monohulls of similar length, or even boats considerably longer. On a recent 800 mile passage we arrived nearly 24 hours before the first monohull making the same passage.

OK, that's, you. How much better do most cat cruisers do than comparable mono's? Rally results are probably the best indicator of this.
Old 15-11-2012, 13:20   #53

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
OK, that's, you. How much better do most cat cruisers do than comparable mono's? Rally results are probably the best indicator of this.

What you are saying is that the skipper means a lot. I would suggest in many of rallys you have inexperienced crews travelling for the support rather than to race and it means little. thus the Outremer.

I would expect that 44c woud not have been able to slow his boat down enough to keep with the monos in that trip.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 13:38   #54

Quote:
We WERE in a rally! But rallys aren't races. So rally results?

There were in fact 3 cats and 5 mono's in the rally. 2 cats and one mono arrived the same day, but the mono (an X442, so not a slow cruiser) had left from Mooloolabah, not Raby Bay, so sailed about 60 miles less distance.

The other cat and the rest of the mono's arrived the following day.

And most of the trip conditions didn't suit fast sailing for us - we had 30+ knot winds for all but the first day, so we slowed down to around 6 knots for comfort's sake. We certainly weren't racing.

Speaking of comfort - it was interesting to compare notes with the other sailors. We discoverd that everyone on the mono's had spent days soaked to the skin. On the cats we didn't even put on our wet weather gear. Never got wet at all.

The skipper of one mono had a huge bruise from his backside to his ankle. All the mono sailors had bumps and bruises. There was even talk of a "Compare bruises" competition, until the guy with the full leg bruise showed his. My wife chimed in with a cracked fingernail, but wasn't in the running.

So we were faster, more comfortable, and spent an extra night at anchor, while the rest were out there in 30+ knots.
Old 15-11-2012, 14:27   #55

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Yes, well the 'A' of 'SA' is for anarchy so that is to be expected.

Whereas here we are on a 'forum' where a little more moderation is to be expected lest the moderators come and 'moderate' you.
Sorry if you misunderstood what I was trying to get across in my post. Even at CF a lot of peeps would agree that comparing a Lagoon to an Outremer would raise eyebrows, especially multihull eyebrows.

There is also an issue of how folks on a Lagoon view sailing compared to how folks on an Outremer view sailing. Lagoons are, at least according to some, built for the charter market; four heads, under canvassed, and condomaran style wide hulls. Outremers are build more for private owners with more attention to performance as opposed to being often sailed by charter folks. Both boats are build to a purpose, my point was both boats are build to a different purpose.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 15:11   #56
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Your recent experience was also validated in the Louisiades Rally with relative performances of cats and monos across a range of boat types.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 15:53   #57

Quote:
Remarkable ... but shouldn't a 44 foot cat be compared to something like a 70 to 88 foot monohull? Ya know, equal bulk, cost, maintenance, dockage, etc. That 88 footer might be pretty comfortable in a seaway, too....
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 16:02   #58

Quote:
Sorry if you misunderstood what I was trying to get across in my post. Even at CF a lot of peeps would agree that comparing a Lagoon to an Outremer would raise eyebrows, especially multihull eyebrows.

There is also an issue of how folks on a Lagoon view sailing compared to how folks on an Outremer view sailing. Lagoons are, at least according to some, built for the charter market; four heads, under canvassed, and condomaran style wide hulls. Outremers are build more for private owners with more attention to performance as opposed to being often sailed by charter folks. Both boats are build to a purpose, my point was both boats are build to a different purpose.
I was using your post as a springboard to make a funny about SA & CF with no actual connection to the topic of this thread.
Old 15-11-2012, 16:42   #59
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Remarkable ... but shouldn't a 44 foot cat be compared to something like a 70 to 88 foot monohull? Ya know, equal bulk, cost, maintenance, dockage, etc. That 88 footer might be pretty comfortable in a seaway, too....
A search of the broker sites in Australia suggests that you cant get a 75 foot mono under 20 years old for less than 7 figures (unless its a floating footpath or similar). Which is probably twice as much as you would pay for for custom built version of 44c boat. At least. A check of marina berths in my area indicates that that (in the largest boat harbour in Australia) there are very few berths for a 75 footer and that a 13.5 metre multi berth costs about the same as a 17 metre mono (55ft). As for maintenance I suspect he would spend less a year on total maintenance than a 75ft mono would spend on his engine.

44Cs boat is a sensible well thought out well sailed cruising boat.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 16:47   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
LOL!!

Tags
passage