Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-09-2016, 07:24   #1

Parking a 50.. 48.. 44 footer...

Hi all,

I am (like a few people on here) going through the initial stages to Retirement Sailing Freedom... meaning.. I'm looking for a cat.

I know what I like and have my little wish list sorted. What I hear a lot about from people is how I should be wary of buying a 50 foot catamaran as it will be much more difficult to find a parking space for it should I wish to use a port or marina.

I know it will obviously cost more but I can't find any discussion on here where people have actually talked about their difficulties. The problem seems to be that if Cat A (44foot) gets a space he rarely questions whether the marina would have taken a 48 or 50.

Waffle bit done, is there anyone out there with any stories / experience in smaller (44ish) and in larger cats (50 foot) who can tell me whether the "scaremongering" really is just that or whether 20, 30, 60% of marina's just don't take bigger cats?

Also, can anyone shed any light on this issue for certain parts of the world? I come from lil ol England where our training 36foot cat is considered big, so maybe I've just spoken to the wrong (English) people?

Any comments or discussion would be great as I would really like to find the money for a 50 foot cat but don't want to find I can't park it anywhere... It's important to me as I plan to circumnavigate but actually want to visit a number of large cities/towns as well as small places along the way and not being able to park and step ashore would potentially be a problem.

many thanks

Heath68

Old 21-09-2016, 07:31   #2

Boat: Caliber 40LRC
Re: Parking a 50.. 48.. 44 footer...

I work at a marina in Florida, USA. It's going to be different everywhere, however at our marina we have slips and T-heads. I can put a catamaran into a slip, where you would be basically paying for two slips, or ideally a T-head which is just a side tie. The length of the boat isn't as much the problem, as we have 44' slips, 50' slips, 56' slips and 60' slips. The larger the cat, the larger the beam, and eventually you'll get to a point where you will have to be on a T-head. We also just built new megayacht docks and there is enough width between those to easily put a cat. So it all depends on the marina really.

Old 21-09-2016, 07:33   #3

Not that it matters to someone in the UK but in Southern NEW England there are not many cats and less in marinas from my casual observations.
Old 21-09-2016, 07:37   #4

Boat: Tayana 55

In the US, Caribbean and Pacific, where we have spent the last 10 years, marinas are increasingly catering to big cats because they are becoming a very significant part of the market. They usually charge 150% of the monohull rate which in some places can be very expensive. In Miami, where we live, a 50 ft cat will cost 125 quid a night and they do not charge a premium for cats!

We have many friends sailing big cats and they do not appear to have too much trouble finding a marina spot next to our 55ft monohull.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 08:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
I work at a marina in Florida, USA. It's going to be different everywhere, however at our marina we have slips and T-heads. I can put a catamaran into a slip, where you would be basically paying for two slips, or ideally a T-head which is just a side tie. The length of the boat isn't as much the problem, as we have 44' slips, 50' slips, 56' slips and 60' slips. The larger the cat, the larger the beam, and eventually you'll get to a point where you will have to be on a T-head. We also just built new megayacht docks and there is enough width between those to easily put a cat. So it all depends on the marina really.
Hi DDabs
Thanks for your post, do you think your marina is typical of Florida or the USA in General or is it newer/larger than most?

Heath68
Old 21-09-2016, 08:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Not that it matters to someone in the UK but in Southern NEW England there are not many cats and less in marinas from my casual observations.
Hi Sandero,

Thanks for that, I love that part of the world and can't wait to sail there... from what you know of the area, are marina's likely to be short on space for a bigger cat?

Heath68
Old 21-09-2016, 08:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
In the US, Caribbean and Pacific, where we have spent the last 10 years, marinas are increasingly catering to big cats because they are becoming a very significant part of the market. They usually charge 150% of the monohull rate which in some places can be very expensive. In Miami, where we live, a 50 ft cat will cost 125 quid a night and they do not charge a premium for cats!

We have many friends sailing big cats and they do not appear to have too much trouble finding a marina spot next to our 55ft monohull.
Hi Phil,

My wife and I went to the Miami boat show last year as we dearly wanted to see the Antares 44i and the St Francis 50 close up. Sadly the latter failed to show up but it was still a worthwhile visit.
Miami has many marina's and we could see why it would be pricey to stay in some (there are many $million houses there..) but we are prepared for that on our voyage. We're happy to take the rough with the smooth but we were more concerned with just being told "No! you're too big"

Heath68
Old 21-09-2016, 08:38   #8

Boat: Switch 51

Marinas always have more spaces for monos than cats. That said, we never have a problem finding a spot for our 51' cat, and usually can fit wherever a 44' would fit. Very occasionally there is a spot just not wide enough for us but wide enough for a smaller cat, but that is so rare as to be about 500th on the list of issues to worry about.
Old 21-09-2016, 09:41   #9

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Hi

I have just bought a 48' cat in Australia, a long way to come for a visit but I have rung most marinas within 50klm / 30miles and they all go Owwww gee 15meters I dont know about that...... Oh hear we go, yes we have a spot. One even has a special low rate for 15m cats.

Travelling back from Cairns we had no problem finding a spot in the 2 marinas we rang, just one was $175 a night and the other $45 per night.

In Brisbane we are paying $1,008 per month. We will probably move onto a private jetty, these are easyish to find and are about half the price.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 09:45   #10

Thanks SVNeko, I think I am maybe worrying about things that in most countries simply won't be an issue.. having never sailed in most countries I really don't know. We helped sail from the south coast via Ireland to Scotland last year in a 39ft and in we sailed in Phuket in a 36ft and both times we had occasional issues so I didn't know if a 50ft would be making life hard work.

Based upon the posts so far, it seems less of an issue in the US and Caribbean than I think.

I suppose I was hoping to build up an idea of the percentage of marinas/ports that simply wouldn't take a 50footer as that is my preference.

Heath68
Old 21-09-2016, 09:47   #11

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Ketch S/V Solace

The marina that I just left is on the ICW in Florida and a bit shallow. Many of their slips closer to shore were too shallow for keel boats so they rented to cats, 2 slips for the price of 1. I'm guessing that is probably not unusual for the ICW.

Jeff
Old 21-09-2016, 09:56   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.5

Same concerns when we purchased our 50. Never an issue afterwards.
Old 21-09-2016, 10:03   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I might be more concerned with places to get hauled than finding a berth.
Old 21-09-2016, 10:04   #14

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

It seems like the big fancy expensive marinas will find a way to accommodate a big cat for a price but the out of the way marinas with no crowds can't....it the beam that makes the difference. It can be a problem but then you can anchor.
Old 21-09-2016, 11:43   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath68 View Post
Hi Sandero,

Thanks for that, I love that part of the world and can't wait to sail there... from what you know of the area, are marina's likely to be short on space for a bigger cat?

Heath68
If Northport is representative of what's to be found i LIS Southern NE... i can report the following:

of the probably 300+ boats.. google the harbor moored... there is one cat, there used to a second and one tri... the rest are sail. No cats in the huge marina.

The slips are set up for two boats of say 14' beam side by side... perhaps there are some wider doubles. And a few spots on the end... Town slips have no cats.

Contrary to what Heath writes... cats are NOT popular at all up here (yet). The ones I see sailing look like they are "visiting". I don't see even one moored at 79th street which gets transients.

The deal with marinas as far as I can tell... is that they are pretty much booked with seasonal rentals. What happens apparently there is some amount of musical slips going on and this allows boats to move from one marina to another... but there seems to be very few available slips and little cateriing to cats.

I didn't survey, even informally Newport, but again my impression is its a monohull haven with few cats. I do see several moored or anchored over by Ida Lewis,,, maybe total of 6 or 8 (guess) certainly not 20 and that the sailing capital of the whole NE.

If you are planning to "cruise" let me tell you if no one has... be prepared to live on the hook and perhaps don't even expect to find transient moorings. They DO exist for sure, but they are often occupied by transients who may be coming from a slip or another mooring. Not a helluva lot of anchoring in most harbors... and not much anchoring skill either. Do not be fooled by the shiny ground tackle and windlasses. Some harbors have so many seasonal moorings that there is no anchoring... or when there is... it's a mile out.

Personal note: What is the appeal of being in a marina listening to your neighbors music, farts, babies, dogs, roiling carts and so on often with no ventilation?????

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: