Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2013, 06:39   #1

Boat: Catana 431
Panama - Shelter Bay Marina - looking for a CAT surveyor

We are closing a deal on a Catana located in Shelter Bay Marine in Panama, and haul out is booked for the 8th of January (where I will be present). Does anyone have experience with - and can recommend a fairly local surveyor, whom is experienced in Catamerans?

Happy New Year All.

Thomas
ATLAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 23:22   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Tobago
Re: Panama - Shelter Bay Marina - looking for a CAT surveyor

Atlas,

I honestly don't recommend the local "professionals". They are more loyal to their countrymen than to you. Spend the extra money and fly down someone whom you trust in, in your local market.

I've worked for a Multihull dealer and have seen what their (panama and other countries) local professionals have said about a boat. Great shape....perfect...only minor issues...and so on. After hearing horror stories getting the boat back up to the good ol' USA did other professionals say the boat was a piece of &%*$, and they would not have recommended buying it.
That's my 2 cents! But others may have different opinions.
Big Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 02:39   #3

Thanks for your honest opinion and advise. I'm quite aligned here, and currently in contact with a surveyor form Ft Lauderdale, whom has surveyed several cats.
From the "sales survey", surely much is left to be desired (surveyor - amongst others - describes the rudders as "skeg hung", the propellor as being "stern shaft mounted".....). Somehow undermining the professionalism..
I'm from Denamark; a country where there is very Little (say; "None") experience with multihulls, so a surveyor from Ft Lauderdale seems the most appropiate option, also from a transportation cost point of view.

Again, thanks for your opinion - I'll update once I have made a final decision.
Old 30-12-2013, 02:49   #4

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

Kent from Just Catamarans in Fort Lauderdale can give you good advice on this. I also met Nic (Jedi) on this forum who lives on his boat in Shelter Bay Marina so ask him for some advice ... he is usually very good on the advice he offers on this forum ...
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 06:00   #5

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLAS View Post
Thanks for your honest opinion and advise. I'm quite aligned here, and currently in contact with a surveyor form Ft Lauderdale, whom has surveyed several cats.
From the "sales survey", surely much is left to be desired (surveyor - amongst others - describes the rudders as "skeg hung", the propellor as being "stern shaft mounted".....). Somehow undermining the professionalism..
I'm from Denamark; a country where there is very Little (say; "None") experience with multihulls, so a surveyor from Ft Lauderdale seems the most appropiate option, also from a transportation cost point of view.

Again, thanks for your opinion - I'll update once I have made a final decision.

What is wrong with a "Skeg hung" rudder? Seems ok to me. Actually, it seems even better than a non Skeg hung rudder.

A stern shaft mounted prop seems better than a bow shaft mounted prop.

What is YOUR preference?

I have never heard of Denamark, but I have a lot of respect for the descendants of the Vikings. Maybe you should ask the descendants of the Vikings what they think?

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 06:23   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I think his problem is that those points listed in the survey do not actually exist on the boat the surveyor was evaluating.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 07:35   #7

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Assuming that it is this one then it has saildrives not shaftdrives. It's in the specs and you can just barely see one in the haulout pic. That's the OPs beef.
2004 Catana 431/43 OCEAN #12765 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 30-12-2013, 07:44   #8

Boat: Catana 521
Hi, I was just in the same exact situation as you 4 months ago and bought a Catana 521 in Shelter Bay, Panama. I had to to fly in a surveyor and used Jonathan from Alantic
jimmysbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 07:55   #9

Boat: Catana 521
I used Jonathan from Atlantic Marine and he did a great job in the big picture. He did miss a few issue, but overall was pleased with my survey and detailed report. He has lot's of experience with catamarans and has surveyed several Catana boats. He gave me a good price, great service and jump on a plane down to Panama. He meet my deadline and was a pleasure to work with.

I saw the boat down when I left to Florida and it looked clean. Good luck and let me know if I can help in any way.

Aloha,
David
jimmysbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 15:30   #10

Thanks all for your input.
I have made an agreement with Jonathan and booked him to perform the survey.
He seems like a decent guy with lots of experience surveying cats - so I'm pleased to have him recommended.
Re "skeg hung rudder" vs actual "spade rudder" and "shaft mounted propellor" vs. actual "Sail drive" - think this point is made clear by Colemj....
Placing Denbmark on the map, and elaborating further on the great achievements of the Vikings might be beoynd the purpose of this thread - but happy to start another one for the purpose of that discussion, if necessary
Old 25-01-2014, 15:52   #11

UPDATE:
As said, Jonathan did come in to do the survey - and thank you all for recommending him.
He did a very good and professional job, and - as far as I'm aware - have not overlooked anything.
We'll take over the boat in about a weeks time, and then head off. THEN we'll see if something has been owerlooked

So, to recap: I can highly recommend Jonathan as a surveyor of multihulls, and he does have great knowledge and experience for the mechanics and eletrics as well.
Old 26-01-2014, 13:46   #12

This was great use of the forum. Cheers
Ricktoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Panama, survey, surveyor