Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2018, 14:53   #1

Boat: one off 46 foot trimaran
Painting a 42' catamaran

My 42' (23' beam) catamaran has 12 yr old awlgrip and I would like to repaint her soon.

A couple of questions for the collective wisdom...

I am headed off to sail for years and if the paint hadn't wore off to FG/epoxy in spots I wouldn't be concerned, I would just spray her when we get back. That being said, has anyone rolled and tipped awlgrip (or something similar) successfully in parts without making the boat look like a total garage sale?

I have heard some people use car paint because of cost. Any truth to this? If so what brand?

If I go the spray route it would be in Hawaii, California, or Mexico. Any recs on a yard based on reasonable cost/reasonable quality?

Any one with experience with Baja Naval in Ensenada?

Thanks for all input!
trimaranfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 20:52   #2

Re: Painting a 42' catamaran

If you want to do a full respray properly, it's a huge job.

Rolling/tipping would let you get away with much less work, especially in masking.

Excellent results have been achieved on roll and tip paint jobs, but as always the quality of the result is going to be heavily dependant on the quality of the prep work.

Good luck!

PS, you might look into vinyl wraps too.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 22:14   #3

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran
Re: Painting a 42' catamaran

I do my own work on my boat so getting a nice job has to be balanced against hours.

My 38 footer was sprayed at first and I almost cried when it was done. The lovely painted finish showed every imperfection in my prep. So about 5 years ago I gave the topsides a repaint and did them with a roller - no tipping.

I have a friend who swears by roll and tip and he can do a nice job, but I can see the streaks, whereas I am happy with my roll and re-roll technique. Roll on to get the paint on, roll lightly over to get smooth. It leaves you with a slight orange peel which is fine by me. Especially if you are about to head off cruising. I don;t get worried by a dinghy or kayak coming alongside.

As to prep - I like a high build epoxy primer - Wattyl Epinamel HB in Australia. This gets rolled on over the spot fills in any dings. Then put on a mist coat - a cheap black paint - wiped on with lots of thinners or a black powder. Then sand with 120 then 180 to get rid of all of the black. You now have a nice surface to paint on.

Then I like a non-linear polyurethane - Poly U 400 is an acrylic polyurethane that can be recoated and buffed. Linear is much trickier in this instance. It gives you the wet look but personally I avoid that unless I have spent months fairing the whole boat - and booked a spray painter.

If you are just doing the topsides and large flat sections, you are laughing. Probably 8ish days of working for two - two days sand existing paint and fill holes. 2 days mask and paint primer, 2 days mist coat and sand primer, 2 days tape and roll and roll Poly on. Good weather and good workers permitting. (I never had the helper though).

Spraying is so nice on curves and convoluted objects. I have a little petrol driven compressor and sprayed the interior (oh what a job - with flattener because I had enough of fairing) and the cabintop. But spraying the deck and cabintop and cockpit will be a huge amount of time. Even the stern steps could take as long as one hull if you decide to do there.

Buy Russ Brown's book and use the paint he uses. He is a guru who does lovely work and really knows he stuff.

Instruction on rolling paint without tipping for spray like results...

cheers

Phil
catsketcher is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, paint