Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2017, 09:15   #1

Owners Version vs 4-Cabin Questions.

I have a couple questions for people that own owners version catamarans.

How much time do you actually spend in your cabin while onboard? Does the extra space in an owners hull ever feel poorly utilized or underused?

My house has a very large master bedroom, but honestly, the only time my wife and I are in there is when we're in bed. A lot of the extra room is wasted. One of our extra bedrooms has been converted to an office, and it seems like we would like a little extra space there.

Has anyone had a similar experience with an owners version Catamaran? Would it make sense to buy a cheaper (I'm looking on the used market) four cabin version and convert it into a 3-cabin/1-office version? I understand the larger head is a big advantage, but I don't think it would be that hard to remove the toilet from the second head and have a stand alone shower in one "head" and use the second as a normal head. Would it be nicer to have a complete separate second cabin for storage, a washer, and an office/workbench? Do you find yourself shitting in one end and sleeping in the other, with not a lot in between? Has anyone done this with a four-cabin version? What are your experiences?

Thanks!
Old 30-06-2017, 09:40   #2

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: Owners Version vs 4-Cabin Questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
I have a couple questions for people that own owners version catamarans.

How much time do you actually spend in your cabin while onboard? Does the extra space in an owners hull ever feel poorly utilized or underused?

My house has a very large master bedroom, but honestly, the only time my wife and I are in there is when we're in bed. A lot of the extra room is wasted. One of our extra bedrooms has been converted to an office, and it seems like we would like a little extra space there.

Has anyone had a similar experience with an owners version Catamaran? Would it make sense to buy a cheaper (I'm looking on the used market) four cabin version and convert it into a 3-cabin/1-office version? I understand the larger head is a big advantage, but I don't think it would be that hard to remove the toilet from the second head and have a stand alone shower in one "head" and use the second as a normal head. Would it be nicer to have a complete separate second cabin for storage, a washer, and an office/workbench? Do you find yourself shitting in one end and sleeping in the other, with not a lot in between? Has anyone done this with a four-cabin version? What are your experiences?

Thanks!
You spend very little time in an owners cabin STATEROOM.

You spend lots of time using the owners side full lockers and extra storage.

Owners version are worth the extra money as they are better live-aboard Catamarans.

Owners versions hold the value better.

Owners versions sell much faster and for more money.

A 4 stateroom cat has little to no storage and is not made for live-aboard use.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 14:30   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

I agree with Cotemar completely.

The extra storage on the owner's side is a major plus.

A proper separate shower is a major plus.

And the desk and shelves area" down there is where my wireless printer and office supplies all sit.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 14:46   #4

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

Agree with Coetmar.

We went down the exact route your describing on 4 cabin, priced out some options, including conversions of the 4th head to other things, etc etc. Costs of some of that start adding up really really fast.

Ended up buying the 3 Cabin and VERY VERY glad we did. Pt Hull vs Stbd Hull is chalk / cheese for living in, storage, places to put things, office, clothes storage, the list goes on.

The amount of storage in both the owners head and the owners hull on a 450 is staggering in comparison to the other hull.

We have just completed an additional conversion in the owners hull to nuke the couch and replace it with a desk + storage, and a fold down sewing table for my wife, plus some shelves. Pics to follow in an upcoming thread on our mods soon as I can take some decent shots.

Regards

Mark.

PS: I type this sitting at the desk in said owners hull, ( L450F, Marmaris, Turkey), on a wall mounted 30" LG widescreen LCD monitor, normal keyboard, mouse and office chair. No problems.
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 15:05   #5
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

To me it just depends on what your use is. We've packed Palarran to the gills with people for 6 years and needed all 4 cabins, plus extra for a small child. Our max was 11 on board for 8 days - that was a lot.

Now though, everyone is in college or have jobs so it's just our friends coming, not families. We could and should move to a 3 cabin. My wife would love a regular shower and island bed. Storage isn't an issue.

If it's just going to be the two of you, then for sure get a 3 cabin.
Old 30-06-2017, 15:05   #6

I also agree with the above 3 comments, owners version is best option for full time live aboard. Our sitting area has also been converted into full time storage area. The only thing you need more than storage is more electrical power and possibly wine.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 15:27   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
I also agree with the above 3 comments, owners version is best option for full time live aboard. Our sitting area has also been converted into full time storage area. The only thing you need more than storage is more electrical power and possibly wine.
Wine and storage requirements go hand in hand.Cases of wine take up a lot of room.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:16   #8

Boat: Ex Salina 48, now Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to spiv

Who want to go cruising with another 6 people? 4 cabins are really only suitable for charter work or day cruisers.
Of course if you are cruising with lots of kids, then you will need the extra beds, but you would still do well by removing one head.
spiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:10   #9

Boat: PDQ32

Another ditto for cotemar's comments.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:59   #10

Boat: PDQ 44i

Dittos. The owners version is the only way to go, unless you are running a charter business.

Cute story: we know a couple who owned a beautiful Antares 44 (they only come in an owners' version) and we know it has 3 queen size berths. Whenever anybody asked them, "how many does it sleep?" they quickly answered, "TWO."
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 13:59   #11

Thank you for all the replies. I especially appreciate Cotemar and StuM chiming in, because the Helia and Belize are two of the boats we are considering. (Depending on if we sell the house vs re-fi and rent it out).

I guess we need to spend some time in the owners version of each. I thought converting a four cabin might have it's advantages because of the split rooms, a "bedroom" and "office". I thought it would be nice to be able to work in the "office", doing laundry, updating logs, etc, without bothering someone who might be sleeping. I assumed that since the hull is the same there would be the same amount of overall space and storage, just laid out differently.
Old 01-07-2017, 14:05   #12

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

I guess it depends on several factors: the exact layout of the boat, your anticipated use of the available space and how the space is used.

For example if you look at the Lagoon 380: There is not much additional storage in 3 cabin vs 4 cabin. Just a small desk with a shelf for books. Storage is no reason to look for a 3 cabin version.
The owners version has a sliding door that separates the owners hull from the bridgedeck salon. That is a bonus of course.
And it has a nice dedicated shower area, which may or may not be important depending on your cruising grounds and habits.
Converting the second head of the charter version is to me no viable alternative, as I would not want to go cruising with only one head unless I had to: ever had the single head fail with a family of 4 + 2 family guests on board? The spare pump is still in the box but of course doesnˋt fit. Not a problem if cruising from port to port with well stocked chandleries, but a drama if you are in a remote island or on passage.
If you decide to do some permanent conversion of a cabin or head, keep in mind that this will most likely have a negative effect on future resale value.

If I was to buy new I would choose the owners version. It holds value better and is actually a few Euro cheaper than the charter layout.

But on the used market there are constraints with regards to availability and price. There are plenty of 4 cabin 380s on the market, but only very few owners versions and most demand a significant premium for that fact.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 14:33   #13

I'm not familiar with the lagoon layout, the boats I'm most interested in are the Belize, Bahia, and Helia. I think they're all four cabin/four head layout. If I did convert one of those I would probably convert the aft head into a shower and keep the forward head. That way you can shower and go right into the aft cabin to get dressed, and that would hopefully reduce the potential "head smells" in the aft cabin. We have lots of friends and family, and we are very social, so we would keep the other two cabins standard for guests. So we would have a total of three heads on board.
Old 01-07-2017, 18:39   #14

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Maestro

ditto Cotemar and StuM

As a liveaboard the extra storage in starboard hull is essential and the envy of quite a few . Wireless printer, office extras in the little office desk area helps keep the saloon uncluttered. Extra wine/bulky stuff under the settee.

The previous owner converted the port hull pilot berth into a "man cave" type storage cupboard.

We have removed the port forward toilet, put in a shelf and use that area for laundry storage and an extra portable waeco fridge. Washing machine, large holding tank and a waeco portable freezer in central port hull area in between the two heads.

Cheers
Lisa
Old 01-07-2017, 20:12   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwikat View Post
ditto Cotemar and StuM

As a liveaboard the extra storage in starboard hull is essential and the envy of quite a few . Wireless printer, office extras in the little office desk area helps keep the saloon uncluttered. Extra wine/bulky stuff under the settee.

The previous owner converted the port hull pilot berth into a "man cave" type storage cupboard.

We have removed the port forward toilet, put in a shelf and use that area for laundry storage and an extra portable waeco fridge. Washing machine, large holding tank and a waeco portable freezer in central port hull area in between the two heads.

Cheers
Lisa
Your set up sounds amazing, and absolutely ideal. I like the Bahia but the Maestro/Owners Version is exceedingly rare. Do you have a website or blog with more pictures of your boat? I would love to see how you redid the port hull.

Tags
cabin