Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2016, 11:06   #1

Boat: 31 Contender
Outremer 51 vs. Atlantic 47 depreciation or retained value - thoughts?

From my research it appears both vessels are similar in price, function and accommodation w/ the ability for a couple to manage either w/out FT crew. Both vessels are performance cruisers. The Outremer is production vs the A47 is custom out of Alwoplast / Chile which has a great rep as well.

My Q, if you'll indulge me is which vessel would depreciate more and why?

As I contemplate depreciation part of me says the Outremer depreciates less b/c the company as a production builder is around to service the model well into the future w/ dealerships around the world. On the other hand, if I look at the past resale (admittedly list) prices of Chris White's boats they hold their value at an amazing rate. Said otherwise I don't know. But, I'm guessing there are sailors on here who own, owned or are in the process of purchasing said vessels and have researched this exact point and come to some reasoned opinions on the matter.

Thanks in advance for your reasoning through this question with me.
Bird Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 11:53   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Outremer 51 vs. Atlantic 47 depreciation or retained value - thoughts?

I really don't know, but I would guess the Outreamer will depreciate slower because it has a builders pedigree behind it. But in performance boats like this condition is everything. If I was in the market for one I would be far more worried about defered maintenance and current condition than I would be for say a Lagoon. Performance sailing puts very high strains on boats, and someone who skimps on maintaining a high performance boat probably took other short cuts as well.

think of it like this... If I was looking to buy a Honda and the owner only got the oil changed once a year it would be concerning but I may not walk. However if someone only changed the oil on their Ferrari track car nice a year I wouldn't consider it at almost any price.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 12:36   #3

Boat: PT-11

Neither depreciates very much at the moment. A used O51 would go for as much as new because there are so few of them. Since they are pumping many of them out, that may change. CW boats are rarer and have a cult following, plus Chris brokers many of them and absolutely refuses to lower prices, even against owner wishes sometimes. His boats maintain their values well. That said, I think depreciation is the last thing you should be worrying about. There are many differences between the two boats that would rank higher. Plus get as much info as you can about the A47. I think two of them have had masts come down, and Chris has enlarged the wingsail (think early ones being underpowered) and tweaked the design.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 12:46   #4

Boat: 31 Contender

I didn't see the tweak to the design on the A47 or the increased wing due to under power. Link(s) or direction as to where I can read about these developments please?

I did see the two dismasting events and read what I could find on them. Hasn't subsequent design changes addressed this issue?

I completely get your point that the differences b/t the two vessels are material.
Bird Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 19:12   #5

Boat: NEEL 45 #1

@SVNeko ...pumping so many of them might be a slight exageration ..it might be a dozen a year

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
beauris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 00:36   #6

Now that outremer is the new owner of Gunboat the gb55 future looks bright

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Geekatlrg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outremer