Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2018, 16:14   #1

Outremer 51 experience?

Looking at an Outremer 51 and trying to get feedback on how they sail as the wind and waves pick up? I know they are great quality and plenty of feedback on how fun they are to sail, but don't know how the lighter displacement effects the ride in rougher weather compared to say a privilege 495, Catana 47, or even a Saona 47 for a range?
lawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 16:50   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Outremer 51 experience?

Any chance you are dealing with Just Cat's in Ft. Lauderdale?
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 17:01   #3

Yes, talked to them in Annapolis
lawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 17:15   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

I missed boat show">Annapolis boat show this year and my yearly Civil War battle field excursions after the show. Did JC have an Outremer there, and did you get to speak to Stewart? He has owned two
Outremer's that I know of and has sailed them extensively in all kinds of nasty weather along with Kent. Stewart would be the wealth of knowledge about Outremer's that I would seek out. To make it clear, I do have a relationship with JC and Stewart. I do do a lot of work with JC and Stewart is also involved with brokering Outremer's here in the states . But I've known Stewart for years, he is a great guy and I'm willing to do what I rarely do here and endorse his knowledge and skill on these boats.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 21:42   #5

Boat: Outremer 51

We are circumnavigating on our Outremer 51. We have crossed the Atlantic, Pacific, and just finished sailing from Cocos Keeling to Mauritius across about 2400 miles of the Indian Ocean. We had several days of winds of 30+ knots with higher gusts in squalls and 12 to 14 foot waves. The boat sailed well in those conditions. And Stuart at JC helped us buy our boat. He is very knowledgable about the boats and has a 5X. If you are serious about the boat, I would suggest flying to LGM to meet the Outremer folks and see the shipyard. They have a great team and have been very helpful to us.
Cayuse51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 14:15   #6

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayuse51 View Post
We are circumnavigating on our Outremer 51. We have crossed the Atlantic, Pacific, and just finished sailing from Cocos Keeling to Mauritius across about 2400 miles of the Indian Ocean. We had several days of winds of 30+ knots with higher gusts in squalls and 12 to 14 foot waves. The boat sailed well in those conditions. And Stuart at JC helped us buy our boat. He is very knowledgable about the boats and has a 5X. If you are serious about the boat, I would suggest flying to LGM to meet the Outremer folks and see the shipyard. They have a great team and have been very helpful to us.
Wow, you're not messing around!! Hal, right? I'm pretty bad with names. You took my girlfriend Tina and I for a little sail around LGM at the La Vaga launch party only 16 months ago. Kind of crazy to think you've done most of a circumnavigation since then. I didn't end up buying an Outremer for several reasons, but mostly because we considered the amount of time we intend to be at anchor vs sailing, and decided interior room was more important than sailing performance. Great boat though. I was impressed by the build quality I saw at the factory.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 16:07   #7

Check out la vagabond on utube, I think they bought one and have been doing vlogs on theirs since before they got it from the factory. You can see some of their life with the boat I think they have had it about a year now.
PLANET EXPRESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 22:15   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornadosailing View Post
Wow, you're not messing around!! Hal, right? I'm pretty bad with names. You took my girlfriend Tina and I for a little sail around LGM at the La Vaga launch party only 16 months ago. Kind of crazy to think you've done most of a circumnavigation since then. I didn't end up buying an Outremer for several reasons, but mostly because we considered the amount of time we intend to be at anchor vs sailing, and decided interior room was more important than sailing performance. Great boat though. I was impressed by the build quality I saw at the factory.
That was a great day sailing off LGM, a little cloudy and cool but with good food from the chef's at Frenchie's in Paris. A FP 48 is a nice catamaran and a long way from Tornado sailing in midwest. Where do you keep the boat?
Old 27-10-2018, 12:51   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

ı've sailed extensively the O 51 #1 and I own a Catana 47, hence I can compare one against each other.
They are both built very well and sail very well. Outremer 51 in reality is the old 49 with a 2 ft extended on sugar scoop. It's fully subjective but Catana seemed to me better sitting on water and more comfortable on rough seas. I've sailed them both up to 30+ winds a they both made an easy 9 + knots of SOG at 35-38 degrees AWA.

Outremer helm position is much better than Catana where the visibility is close to zero on the opposite corner. Catana has more trim option sailing deep down wind thx main sail sheet ran to two turn blocks instead of classical main sail trraveller on Outremer and has a bit more space down the galley altought she's 4 ft shorter than Outremer.
Pricewise they are about the same altought Outremer has 4 ft more..I heard that Catana has stopped the production of Catana 47 whilst O51 is still manufactured.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 05:34   #10

Quote:
That was a great day sailing off LGM, a little cloudy and cool but with good food from the chef's at Frenchie's in Paris. A FP 48 is a nice catamaran and a long way from Tornado sailing in midwest. Where do you keep the boat?
I currently keep the boat in West Palm, but I found private dockage in Lighthouse Point just north of FLL and will be moving the boat in a couple weeks. I make as many trips to the Bahamas with it as I can pry Tina away from work, which isn't nearly often enough.

I still can't believe how fast you're making your fist lap around the planet. I hope you'll make a second much slower lap.
Old 29-10-2018, 20:54   #11

Quote:
I currently keep the boat in West Palm, but I found private dockage in Lighthouse Point just north of FLL and will be moving the boat in a couple weeks. I make as many trips to the Bahamas with it as I can pry Tina away from work, which isn't nearly often enough.

I still can't believe how fast you're making your fist lap around the planet. I hope you'll make a second much slower lap.
We may run into you next year. We are headed to FLL in May. Are you finding it difficult to get tropical storm coverage for your boat leaving it in Florida during hurricane season?
Old 29-10-2018, 21:43   #12

lawdawg, curious about why you are asking about rough weather. Is your plan truly about circumnavigation and/or long haul bluewater cruising?

You mention the Saona 47 and there is a night and day difference between these boats that that one. Most people imagine long passages but truly spend 90%+ of their time at anchor. Do you want lots of toys on board? Lots of storage? Lots of room for guests to sprawl or even get away from each other for privacy on shorter passages? The Saona is heavier than these boats and with the forward chines will definitely start slapping in waves before them, but your initial question has me wondering what kind of sailing you actually plan on.

I love the Outremer from a pure sailing perspective, but find it VERY limited in space and livability compared to an equal length cruiser. It gets bogged down very quickly with livability/toy weight. No island berths means crawling over your own feet for a morning pee. All of your performance gains are quickly lost unless you are diligent about every item carried on board at it is much more sensitive to additional weight.

Personally, I find the exposed helm position and lack of visibility of the Catana to disqualify it for anything other than day sailing, but that's just me.
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 23:57   #13

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:

They are taking part in the World ARC. All the way round in 15-16 months.

I did it back in 2010-2011. A great way if you are time limited. You can always go round again at a slower pace when you have more time.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 04:05   #14

Quote:
We may run into you next year. We are headed to FLL in May. Are you finding it difficult to get tropical storm coverage for your boat leaving it in Florida during hurricane season?
I had to do a little shopping for insurance, but mostly because I bought my boat two weeks after Irma and insurers were still trying to figure out how bad it was going to be. Many of them stopped writing new policies for a few months. Eric Olson https://www.insurewitholson.com/ found a policy with Yachtinsure that worked for me. I still have a hurricane box, but it starts down at 24 degrees north.

I'm sure this thread will be well buried by the time you need insurance in Florida, so just hit me up when you get close. Then in May we can take the slow boat over to Bimini and do a little diving.
Old 31-10-2018, 04:17   #15

Quote:
I had to do a little shopping for insurance, but mostly because I bought my boat two weeks after Irma and insurers were still trying to figure out how bad it was going to be. Many of them stopped writing new policies for a few months. Eric Olson https://www.insurewitholson.com/ found a policy with Yachtinsure that worked for me. I still have a hurricane box, but it starts down at 24 degrees north.

I'm sure this thread will be well buried by the time you need insurance in Florida, so just hit me up when you get close. Then in May we can take the slow boat over to Bimini and do a little diving.
That sounds like a good plan. I will check in with you as we get closer to FLL. I would like to see the Bahamas.

Tags
enc, outremer