Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2018, 04:25   #31

Boat: LAGOON 400
Re: Outremer 51 experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
Besides, protected helm positions if they are designed well with good sight lines are completely functional in most ways I can think of. Not sub optimal at all.
when we went thru worst seas so far at night and extra large waves came around at 90 deg from main train, i was relying on sound they make to estimate from where and how big (cant see if no moon or stars). Protection will make it harder to hear them, and delay the response. The other sense is temperature. It is not immediate but provides important input. In these conditions i would rather stay unprotected and safer.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:48   #32

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Nice boat Mark.
Thanks, while my boat is very very similar, that video is from Chris in s/v Allelu. Interestingly 2 of the first 3 MC 38s came to the PNW...now we can sail year 'round.
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:18   #33

Boat: Outremer 51

Biased opinion here since I own a 51. We are a couple and live on our boat 9 to 10 months per year. The 51 offers us plenty of space in our view. It is easy to sail and fast with just the 2 of us. Those points are important to us.

At anchor, it lacks enough solar panels. We have under 600 watts and that is too little in my view given the consumption standing still of the boat.

Small issue given the pure sailing joy it provides.

Good luck in your quest
Rimica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:48   #34

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)

51 vs 49?

Not to take the thread on a tangent, but would love to hear from folks who've been on both the 49 and 51 and hear what the significant differences are.

Thanks.
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 19:54   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimica View Post
Biased opinion here since I own a 51. We are a couple and live on our boat 9 to 10 months per year. The 51 offers us plenty of space in our view. It is easy to sail and fast with just the 2 of us. Those points are important to us.

At anchor, it lacks enough solar panels. We have under 600 watts and that is too little in my view given the consumption standing still of the boat.

Small issue given the pure sailing joy it provides.

Good luck in your quest

Thank you very much for your response. If you don’t mind me asking, why did you choose the 51? What other boats were you looking at before choosing it? I guess we’re working on the age old question degree of comfort and space versus ability to sail better and make better time.
lawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 00:04   #36

Boat: Outremer 51

We tried a Nautitech 54, Lagoon and considered Catana. We though about a 5X but got encouraged into the 51 instead by Outremer given that we are only 2 for most of the time.

54 was ok but creaky and had in my mind a big draft and the placement of the controls drove me nuts. Lagoon did not sail to my liking but amenities were impressive. Catana financial health was not reassuring at the time.

For us the absolute joy of a good sail resonates for days in our minds while at anchor. So we are willing to be on the perf side of the perf/comfort equation. The 51 sails like a dream, outpoints most monohulls and is confortable.

We are happy with our choice.

We also talked to charter captains and their views was that for themselves they would get an Outremer. That was reassuring too.
Rimica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, outremer