Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2008, 14:07   #1

Outremer 50-55

Standard and light.

I canīt find information how much bigger a standard is inside over the light. And weight differences.

What is the differences except cabinsize?

Anyone know when outremer started to build these models?
If you compare previous models with newer ones, what is changed over the time.
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 14:10   #2
jzk

50/55 light - Catamaran-Outremer.com

I saw a 50 listed in France a year ago for $275k or so, which I thought seemed like an excellent deal. 1995 or so, I think.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 14:25   #3
jzk

Outremer was at the top of my list for quite some time. A 55 light "Double Nickel" had a slip across from us until this year in Chicago. However, I hear that they bog down fast with any kind of loading. In fact, I hear that Outremer wont sell one with a generator and airconditioning.

There is a 50s for sale in the DR that is used for charter. Maybe an excellent chance to try before you buy?
Old 08-08-2008, 14:29   #4

Outremers interiorpics are bad.

The 55 light have the same cabin as the 45 if i understand right?
Old 08-08-2008, 14:48   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
I hear that they bog down fast with any kind of loading. In fact, I hear that Outremer wont sell one with a generator and airconditioning.

There is a 50s for sale in the DR that is used for charter. Maybe an excellent chance to try before you buy?
Bog down! Do you mean like a small corsair trimaran, down with the leeway hull and brake?

Aircondition is not on my list if i will go for a outremer. But what is the weight of a generator?

Where is DR?
Old 08-08-2008, 15:04   #6
jzk

Bog Down - really hurt performance.

DR - Dominican Republic.

I make the point about the air con just to show how sensitive they are to weight. I have no problem with the look of their interiors.
Old 08-08-2008, 15:04   #7
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime View Post
Outremers interiorpics are bad.

The 55 light have the same cabin as the 45 if i understand right?
Yes, I think they say that on the link I sent you.
Old 08-08-2008, 15:20   #8

DR-Dominican Republic....offcause!

Anyone know any blog or simular to any owners of these catamarans. Must find out if itīs true with the bog down.... We will probably most sail with 2-3 adults onboard.
Old 08-08-2008, 15:42   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Outremers are traditionally viewed as THE highest performance cruising machines to be had from a semi-production builder. Theres no magic to it; if you want fast you go light, period. Narrow hulls have the least form drag and the smallest wetted surface, but they don't have much reserve displacement for that extra pair of swim trunks. to carry more weight, the hulls have to displace more water, which adds more surface area and reduces the hull beam to length ratio, which requires more power to move it all, which means a bigger sail rig, which is heavier and requires greater strength to keep all that rig pointing skyward, which weighs more, ad infinitum. If you would rather go fast than eat anything heavier than rice krispies, this is the boat for you! Its the boat for me too!

Outremer produces very few boats each year, and seem to be closely held by their predominantly French market. Values are quite high, and the few surveyors who have looked at them seem to drool uncontrollably when discussing them.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:00   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty View Post
Outremers are traditionally viewed as THE highest performance cruising machines to be had from a semi-production builder. Theres no magic to it; if you want fast you go light, period. Narrow hulls have the least form drag and the smallest wetted surface, but they don't have much reserve displacement for that extra pair of swim trunks. to carry more weight, the hulls have to displace more water, which adds more surface area and reduces the hull beam to length ratio, which requires more power to move it all, which means a bigger sail rig, which is heavier and requires greater strength to keep all that rig pointing skyward, which weighs more, ad infinitum. If you would rather go fast than eat anything heavier than rice krispies, this is the boat for you! Its the boat for me too!

Outremer produces very few boats each year, and seem to be closely held by their predominantly French market. Values are quite high, and the few surveyors who have looked at them seem to drool uncontrollably when discussing them.
Haha.. drool uncontrollably....!

When did the build the 50/55? Any big changes between new or old ones?
Old 09-08-2008, 06:27   #11
jzk

One feature about the Outremer that makes them sensitive to weight is that they are not cored. They are solid fiberglass. Whether this is good or bad is subject to debate, but it does make them heavier than if they were cored.

And, having long and narrow hulls makes the 55 equivalent to a comperable 42 foot lagoon as far as interior room.

There are some really nice videos on the aeroyacht site and you tube. Notice that the high speed 50 is cruising along with virtually nothing aboard that a cruiser would want like a bimini, dinghy, etc.

Please don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of Outremer. I think they look awesome inside and out.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:32   #12
jzk

Here is the DR based 50s:

1995 Outremer 50 Standard Boat For Sale

I have the same awful light blue formica counter in this bar/recroom area in my house. I must admit that I have learned to like it!

I would say that $260-$300k would be a nice price for this boat. I would have a hard time paying more for it than, lets say, a Leopard 47 coming out of charter that is newer and bigger and less sensitive to weight.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:36   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
Here is the DR based 50s:

1995 Outremer 50 Standard Boat For Sale

I have the same awful light blue formica counter in this bar/recroom area in my house. I must admit that I have learned to like it!

I would say that $260-$300k would be a nice price for this boat. I would have a hard time paying more for it than, lets say, a Leopard 47 coming out of charter that is newer and bigger and less sensitive to weight.
Thanks, i havent seen a outremer in reality! 250-300k souns cheap, all i have seen for sale is much more expensive.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:02   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Outremers are very good sailing cats , they cannot handle a seizable payload since the speed will suffer a lot . they are very noisy inside and I am sure this has to do with the fact that they are solid build , no laminate. In general they are also very Spartan and this has to do with keeping the weight low, they point well and when sailed well are among the fastest cruising sailing cats.
Greetings

Gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:27   #15

Thanks,

What is a weight on a outremer 50-55 and how much weight do you think i can add for a arc race or simular?
Solid build, was news for me. Is it easier to repair that?
And if you buy a 10-15 years old one, i understand she will need some upgrade before a long trip.

Spartan is ok for me.

Do you know any blog or homepage with owners of outremer 50-55?

Tags
outremer