Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2015, 18:11   #16

Re: Outremer 45 v's Freydis 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
There is one for sale I know of 3 yrs old called rehab for 450k I bet you could get it for 400k

Just reading about her now and shes very close just in Brisy

what are the +s and -s of Alloy vs GRP?

lighter, stronger and no osmosis?

C-man
C-man77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 18:21   #17

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

I don't see any distinct disadvantages as all forms of construction of yachts have some weak points with ally ok you have the situation with electrolylois I have no real experience with them but if you contact. Seaworthy lass a moderator on here they own a ally mono yacht and may be they can give better info
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 18:30   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
I don't see any distinct disadvantages as all forms of construction of yachts have some weak points with ally ok you have the situation with electrolylois I have no real experience with them but if you contact. Seaworthy lass a moderator on here they own a ally mono yacht and may be they can give better info

what I remember from my old mono days, steel sweats and gets cold, so I guess in the tropics it would get hot maybe?

I think alloy is lighter than glass? Alloy has no core to perish that's for sure.

electrolysis just requires Zink plates I would imagine, I would need to look into it

I like the shafts, they allow the motors to be a little more forward taking some weight of the stern and reducing parasitic drag.
Old 18-08-2015, 19:13   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-man77 View Post

C-man
Haven't seen rehab, but if she is like Trim and a few others she is a bargain at $400k. The mummy 48s are great boats
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 20:29   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Haven't seen rehab, but if she is like Trim and a few others she is a bargain at $400k. The mummy 48s are great boats

They are asking $450K, yes I would start with a low offer, but the galley down has the Mrs. against it. she gets queezy below and says it is too claustrophobic and the smells will stay down.

I like the boat though and think it is a good deal.
Old 19-08-2015, 01:52   #21

Boat: Outremer 55 Light

Quote:

C-man
The statistics sort of answer this.....for every alloy boat you see cruising around the world, you'll see 40 or 50 GRP boats. This especially applies to catamarans.
Cruisin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 15:31   #22

From what I read about Alloy,

if they used the right grade of metal it would not put me off buying one had the layout been different.

Alloy seems to be used more commercially because it is so durable which is good.
just need to avoid dissimilar metals below the waterline and or have plenty of sacrificial zink anodes.

How they got those nice curves in the bottom of the hulls I have no Idea?

Mummy 48s seem to be good boats and are now on my radar along with a few others.
Old 19-08-2015, 16:21   #23

Boat: Nautitech Open 46

Snow Leopard the Freydis 46 with the interior designed and completed by James Stewart was sold in Aus a few years back maybe you can track down who has her now and take a test sail.
Regards
Paul
Steel sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 01:04   #24

Quote:
From what I read about Alloy,

if they used the right grade of metal it would not put me off buying one had the layout been different.

Alloy seems to be used more commercially because it is so durable which is good.
just need to avoid dissimilar metals below the waterline and or have plenty of sacrificial zink anodes.

How they got those nice curves in the bottom of the hulls I have no Idea?

Mummy 48s seem to be good boats and are now on my radar along with a few others.
C-man, if alloy was a better value proposition than GRP (value being...cost, durability and performance) then there would be a lot more alloy boats sailing around, but there aren't. The world's yachtsmen (and women) have independently and very clearly shown an overwhelming preference for GRP.

Atlantic catamarans have an interesting assessment of GRP verses alloy for cats. From memory it's something like...."for the same strength the boat has to be considerably heavier if made from alloy" and I'm sure you know that for a cat to sail well it must be light. If you google Atlantic catamarans you'll probably find their site. They are a very good performing cat that you might want to look at. Unusual layout with the cockpit in front of the saloon, like a Gunboat catamaran.
Old 20-08-2015, 05:54   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

[QUOTE=Cruisin Cat;1895377]
Quote:
C-man, if alloy was a better value proposition than GRP (value being...cost, durability and performance) then there would be a lot more alloy boats sailing around, but there aren't. The world's yachtsmen (and women) have independently and very clearly shown an overwhelming preference for GRP.
No - the worlds production builders have show a preference for GRP because you can build in a mood and reduce the unit cost, which in turn makes them more affordable to buyers, further they are able to be produced in volume at speed. Each alloy cat is a one off boat, sure you can make jigs and cut panels in bulk etc, butter you well never approach the economies of scale that GRP offers.
Quote:
Atlantic catamarans have an interesting assessment of GRP verses alloy for cats. From memory it's something like...."for the same strength the boat has to be considerably heavier if made from alloy" and I'm sure you know that for a cat to sail well it must be light. If you google Atlantic catamarans you'll probably find their site. They are a very good performing cat that you might want to look at. Unusual layout with the cockpit in front of the saloon, like a Gunboat catamaran.
By Atlantic Catamarans I presume you mean designer Chris White, his forward cockpit layout predates Gunboat by a way.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 14:14   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel sails View Post
Snow Leopard the Freydis 46 with the interior designed and completed by James Stewart was sold in Aus a few years back maybe you can track down who has her now and take a test sail.
Regards
Paul

As far as I know from talking with both the builder and his partner there has only ever been one 46' built it is now over in Perth after crossing the bite

there may be a 50' around somewhere, not sure

C-man
Old 20-08-2015, 15:07   #27
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
As far as I know from talking with both the builder and his partner there has only ever been one 46' built it is now over in Perth after crossing the bite

C-man

I'm pretty sure there have been many Freydis 46' cats built.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 15:09   #28

[QUOTE=Factor;1895501]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisin Cat View Post
No - the worlds production builders have show a preference for GRP because you can build in a mood and reduce the unit cost, which in turn makes them more affordable to buyers, further they are able to be produced in volume at speed. Each alloy cat is a one off boat, sure you can make jigs and cut panels in bulk etc, butter you well never approach the economies of scale that GRP offers.
By Atlantic Catamarans I presume you mean designer Chris White, his forward cockpit layout predates Gunboat by a way.
Yes Factor, you are correct....the worlds production builders have show a preference for GRP. But the reason they've done it is because in a free market economy (which the sail boat industry pretty much is) they need to produce a product that customers desire or they will go out of business (like Detroit when it was producing large gas guzzling cars but customers wanted smaller more fuel efficient cars). The reality is that if alloy cats represented a good value proposition to any segment of the market then some company would cash in on it by producing them, and we would see a lot more at sea. In 6 years of cruising I could count on one hand the number of alloy cats that I've seen. If Atlantic catamaran designer Chris White is correct then it is not just cost (which I agree certainly favors GRP for the reasons you said) but it is also the additional weight to build in alloy.
Old 20-08-2015, 19:46   #29

Quote:

C-man
Freydis cats have been built by a couple of different boatyards, Soubise being the most common and there were many 46's built. If you look on yachtworld.com you'll see 6 Freydis 46's for sale right now, mostly in France/French colonies but one in Australia.
Old 20-08-2015, 20:13   #30

Boat: Nautitech Open 46

I am hull no 10 for Freydis 49. Built by Tournier ( soubise) not certain but I think the hull numbers continue from the 46.
I'll ask Erik Lerouge.
Regards
Paul
Freydis 49 Cheorae.
Steel sails is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outremer