Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2018, 17:36   #61

Re: Outremer 45, do they have a helm enclosure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoreFun View Post
Watching Sailing La Vagabond I see the Outremer has a very exposed helm.

What do you do in bad weather? Do they have something to enclose it?

Thanks.

Put on your good quality wet weather gear and a face mask[emoji1317]
james247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:30   #62

Boat: Catana 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I don’t understand. I’m not wrong as this is my opinion after looking at the Catana. I’m 6’4” tall and the visibility towards the opposite bow quarter was completely obstructed. I also stated with the twin helms you would be able to jockey between sides, not a perfect solution but very doable.
You are the same person that said they stand on their helms seat to gain visibility?
I am repeating myself. Please read my previois posts in this thread.

I have always agreed that the visability is obstructed to opposite forward quarter - no question. But my point is that, after about 12000 miles, the obstruction is never a problem while sailing or in any way do I feel it is a safety issue.

Stepping onto the seat (not standing on it) for a split second when menuvering in tight quarters instead of switching sides, gives instant 100% 360 degrees visability. But hou do not need to do that.

Bottom line, having sailed many raised cockpit helm cats, I would never want anything other than dual outside helms, because sailing and manuvering is every bit as safe, but way more comfortable and way more fun!!

In 12000 miles, I have had to put rain gear on about twice!
CookiesnTequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:52   #63
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiesnTequila View Post
I am repeating myself. Please read my previois posts in this thread.

I have always agreed that the visability is obstructed to opposite forward quarter - no question. But my point is that, after about 12000 miles, the obstruction is never a problem while sailing or in any way do I feel it is a safety issue.

Stepping onto the seat (not standing on it) for a split second when menuvering in tight quarters instead of switching sides, gives instant 100% 360 degrees visability. But hou do not need to do that.

Bottom line, having sailed many raised cockpit helm cats, I would never want anything other than dual outside helms, because sailing and manuvering is every bit as safe, but way more comfortable and way more fun!!

In 12000 miles, I have had to put rain gear on about twice!

We also have a tiller steered cat with dual outside helms. We started of with bean bag chairs at the helm but with the reduced visibility over the cabin top I added pedestal chairs like the Outremer, now the visibility is much better.
Whether on our boat or a Catana I believe there are a couple of negatives about the twin dual aft helms but like you for us the positives outweigh the negatives.
We also have an open bridge deck catamaran with 360 degree unimpeded views which we have yet to sail. I’m sure we will find some negatives with the open bridgedeck design but visibility probably wont be one off them.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:39   #64

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Quote:
Originally Posted by james247 View Post
Put on your good quality wet weather gear and a face mask[emoji1317]
It should be noted that the outboard steering on the Outremer is an option and can be engaged or dis engaged at will
Old 02-12-2018, 14:42   #65
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
It should be noted that the outboard steering on the Outremer is an option and can be engaged or dis engaged at will
And quite a good option, IMO. I only day sailed it but sitting in the scoop type chair and steering with the carbon tiller, on a 45, was awesome. Loved it. Sitting down the visibility to the other side was impaired but just standing up resolved that, or walking to the other side. I didn't dock the boat, and that was done at the bulkhead steering station, so can't comment on that.
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, helm, outremer