Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2014, 13:06   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Outremer 45

Does anyone know anything about this boat? not much on the Outremer website..

Factor? how did she look in the water?
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2014, 14:39   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Outremer 45

A lot like her bigger sisters, not surprisingly. And quite different to the old O45. The old and new O45 were parked side by side i n LA Grande Motte when I was there after the boat show">Annapolis Boat Show week. Very different execution of the same idea, - fast strong safe ocean cruiser. Beautifully finished and really well laid out from a sailing ergonomics viewpoint. I haven't sailed one yet, that will happen probably next year early.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 04:32   #3

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
A lot like her bigger sisters, not surprisingly. And quite different to the old O45. The old and new O45 were parked side by side i n LA Grande Motte when I was there after the Annapolis Boat Show week. Very different execution of the same idea, - fast strong safe ocean cruiser. Beautifully finished and really well laid out from a sailing ergonomics viewpoint. I haven't sailed one yet, that will happen probably next year early.
Not sure how big any male partners or guests might be, but the guy at Annapolis basically told me I was too big for the 45. In his somewhat snarky accent, "We all know a linebacker when we see one" he said. I joked that I planned on losing some weight, but he said my shoulders won't get any smaller regardless. Now I'm only 6 foot, but I do have very broad shoulders. Apparently much broader than planned for the 45.

- Ray & Cristal
~ future s/v Following C's ~
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 05:05   #4

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowingCs View Post
Not sure how big any male partners or guests might be, but the guy at Annapolis basically told me I was too big for the 45. In his somewhat snarky accent, "We all know a linebacker when we see one" he said. I joked that I planned on losing some weight, but he said my shoulders won't get any smaller regardless. Now I'm only 6 foot, but I do have very broad shoulders. Apparently much broader than planned for the 45.

- Ray & Cristal
~ future s/v Following C's ~
I am 6 foot and 215 lbs and have just purchased the origainal model of 45 .I fits me so the new model which appears to have a larger saloon area should be no problem. I will admit that the hulls are narrow but that is why I wanted one.
I assume that the original thread was referring to the new model
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 05:06   #5

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Scarlet, you said the $700K price on the used Antares 44 was too much and you will be spending that much or more on the O45. Any new cat this size by any boat builder will cost this much when properly outfitted. It also has that exposed helm with the winches right there so you will be spending a fair amount of time up there in the elements. I really like all the new Outies but I never have seen a canopy or bimini for the helm position on any of these. The boom looks pretty low so there may not be room for one. Maybe Factor can give an insight if this is an option. Also some of the used O49s are now in that $700K range.

FWIW When I Googled Outremer which means across the sea I came upon articles that said this is what some foreign territories were called. Jerusalem at the time of the last crusade was one of these.
Old 25-10-2014, 05:17   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

The 45 has assym hulls, eh?

I like it but I would (if only I had this money) go for their 5X. I find the 5X so much prettier inside.

Perhaps the pictures are early and they will improve on decor too.

Noticed no displacement figure given (?).

Pretty boat, tropical cruisers' dream indeed.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 07:21   #7
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I was onboard it the other day for sundowners @ graciosa. Beautiful boat (and family). I'm 6" but no linebacker but it didn't feel too small anywhere. The boat is currently for sale, to be sold in Aus. After the cruise, Check yachtworld for details. Really nice fit and finish everywhere and construction and design all executed beautifully. And yeah there was a 5x in the same anchorage and they looked pretty much the same. Btw, some minor issues were delt with by outremer promptly so it says a lot for the companies after sales service as well...
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 08:03   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
I assume that the original thread was referring to the new model
yes....
Old 25-10-2014, 08:10   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Scarlet, you said the $700K price on the used Antares 44 was too much and you will be spending that much or more on the O45. Any new cat this size by any boat builder will cost this much when properly outfitted.
Not planning on buying new... trying to become as educated as possible now. By the time we purchase.. these 2013-14-15's will be closer to our price range...
Old 25-10-2014, 09:10   #10
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I wouldn't expect any cats to become closer to a price range. In 3 years the new models of these will be 30% more expensive and the current models close to the current price. That's my experience from the past few years of being involved in the market. So if you are budgeting on 400K in 2 years, look at boats priced at 400k now, new and used because they're the ones that will be in that budget in 2 years time
Old 25-10-2014, 09:27   #11
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Btw, the helm didn't have a Bimini, but not really a need for one as there's no seat either I don't think you would be spending much time there. It's in the walkway so not really room for a seat, but I'd like to modify it and add some kind of folding seat and Bimini but hey, that's more weight and windage...not really outremers thing
Did I mention it's sexy though?! Kind of like a sports car with a really long bonnet and minimalist driver comfort, but built for speed. The cabin windows would be lucky to be half way along the length of the hulls. This leaves a huge foredeck tramp, at least 7m with fine hulls that would be under 1m wide 3m back from the bow
Oh and I think the owner mentioned the weight was around 9t
Old 25-10-2014, 09:55   #12

I am 6"6' and checked out the new OR45 in Cannes. The salon and the owner's cabin is not much smaller than in the OR51. The head room in the middle of the salon is approx. 6"4' and in the same range in the center of the hulls. I was positively surprised about head room and space.
JoFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 09:56   #13

... and she looks great in the water. Like a small 5X.
JoFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 12:45   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
I wouldn't expect any cats to become closer to a price range. In 3 years the new models of these will be 30% more expensive and the current models close to the current price. That's my experience from the past few years of being involved in the market. So if you are budgeting on 400K in 2 years, look at boats priced at 400k now, new and used because they're the ones that will be in that budget in 2 years time
I hope someone else chimes in here. I know I'm not an expert but the one thing I thought I learned really well was that cats depreciate a lot...and relatively quickly. And the law of supply and demand indicates that as more of these boats get in the market the lower the price would go. Right?

I was under the impression that when we are ready to buy, we should be able to pick up a 5-7 year old boat, in the 45 foot range,like that $750.000 helia I liked, for around $400-450,000.

Am I truly THAT delusional?
Old 25-10-2014, 13:17   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Depends on the boat Scarlet. Some brand/boats depreciate quicker than others. Its not a rule but smaller volume production builders seem to hold their value pretty well. If an O45 is half its new price in a couple of years I will very surprised. Seawinds for example seem to hold their value incredibly well. (if looked after and presented well). And Outremer is smaller but builders of highly desirable boats really strong long term ownership boats which tends to keep the prices higher.

As for the size, I am 105 kilo and 194 cms, no problem for me. And I doubt any of my french friends would know what a line backer was. They have less understanding of North American football than I do.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outremer