Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2013, 16:46   #31

Re: Outboard fuel deteriorating how long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Are you sure you're not confusing this with red diesel on the road?
at any rate it's a moot point... no one is checking.
Someone told me Union 76 station's gas is non ethanol, (thus the higher price often) but the last one I was at had a "may contain up to 10% ethanol" sticker on the pump...?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 03:59   #32

Boat: FP Elba 45

To the OP, it sounds like a slightly blocked jet. You've compensated for it by adjusting the idle.

My question is, are you following good practice by always running the carb dry or draining it, after use?[/QUOTE]

No I am not, never occurred that I should, makes sense though.
Regards Peter
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 05:15   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
at any rate it's a moot point... no one is checking.
Someone told me Union 76 station's gas is non ethanol, (thus the higher price often) but the last one I was at had a "may contain up to 10% ethanol" sticker on the pump...?
Almost all service stations may contain ethanol, usually when gasoline is cheaper, unless mandated they won't have the ethanol as ethanol is expensive. Some states mandate ethanol in the fuel The use of the word may means they can do as they please.
One of my little airplanes is a Cessna 140 with an autogas STC, but use of ethanol is prohibited. You have to test the fuel to know if it has ethanol in it or not, often I have found fuel without ethanol in it when the sticker on the pump says it might have it, and have even found ethanol in fuel that was being sold as ethanol free for boats.
This is a website that tries to list ethanol free gas, but as always test to be sure if it matters to you.
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 05:42   #34

Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"

For me avoiding the ethanol blend is not practical. I have started using a marine stabilizer and can get about 3 mos storage while just 1 mo without. This is in the Florida Keys with a new Yamaha 9.9, a Honda EU1000 and a Craftsman lawn mower. I recently became aware of a new regulation requiring pressurized fuel systems and am hopeful that converting will solve the problem by eliminating loss of volatile additives and exposure to atmospheric moisture. It doesn't look like too tough a conversion. From my experience running the carb dry causes more trouble which I attribute to inside carb corrosion. My Honda 15 drove me crazy and I wouldn't enter close quarters without 1st removing the engine cover and having a flat blade screwdriver in my hand. I tried non ethanol gas and it performed no better and cost much more. For me, running the engine weekly is a must if only for a few moments with no load. Go figure. Dave
DaveOnCudjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 07:11   #35

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
1 month for untreated, six months for treated with stabil.

Some things (like small four strokes) seem much less tolerant than others.
I would concur that small 4 strokes suffer badly (Suzuki 2.3HP). We are in Greece, we dont use the outboard a lot, always empty the carb of fuel after running, and yet we still had trouble.

I now change all the fuel at the beginning of the year, and strip and clean the carb down twice a year (ie about every 10 usages!) and it now runs perfectly.

Stripping the carb can now be done in 10 minutes flat - but at least its works now!
Chris Robb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, outboard