Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2016, 09:33   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Our problem with chartering...

My husband and I are working through our "check list" to get us ready for our life as a long term multihull cruiser for Retirement. We've got 2 years of monohull sailing under our belt, and we've completed 4 sailing certifications. We are now ready to go and do a week long charter. I always error on the side of "caution", so, I will say honestly, that I do not feel we are experienced enough to charter on our own, yet. I'd prefer to have a captain accompany us (for a couple of days) or have another experienced couple join us.

And this is where the problem is... We cannot find a couple we would feel comfortable living with on a boat with for a week!! We have lots of friends at our yacht club.. but we find that so many of them are "drinkers". My husband and I certainly enjoy a drink now and then.... a wonderful rum punch.. or margarita! or a glass of wine with dinner. But, then we are done. Most of our boating friends drink.. what we would call.. heavily!! I have been around people who drink like this.. and it's ok.. for a night.. or even 2.. but when it is drinking and getting drunk every night?! It just really stops being fun for us.

We are also really easy going people, and we want to travel with like minded people...

Where do we find people like this?!?! are there sites where you can go and try to "meet up" with other people for charters? We would only want to travel with one other couple..
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:55   #2

Re: Our problem with chartering...

Better drunken, easy going people you know than strangers, in my opinion.

You can go your seperate ways in the evening, sailing together during the day (as you secretly laugh at their hangover induced sea sickness). ha ha

Drunks or not, better to have people you know you get along with.

Maybe non sailing friends too?
cruisersfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:16   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

My advice would be to throw caution to the wind and charter solo.
Just how much help is a dunk or hungover party goer going to be anyway?

It really isn't as hard as you think...trust me...you can do it, let go of the crutch of thinking having someone else along will make you safer.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:44   #4

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I think chartering on your own with a hired captain for a day or 2 probably makes the most sense.

That said, there are sites for meeting other like minded sailors included the proper forum on this board. I haven't used it in a few years now, but when I was looking to hook up with other sailors, I had the best luck with floatplan.com

I find that sadly posts here get far more comments from people who feel obligated to judge your post than from those interested in joining you.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:53   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Sounds to me like your way more qualified than I am, I have no certificates, and have never chartered, yet we do manage to put a few thousand miles under the keel without incident (knock on wood).
Anyway if this is meant to be sort of a little trial on what cruising will be like, then why take along another couple, your not cruising with another couple are you?

Adopt what I have heard called the most conservative response rule, that is if the two of you disagree on whether you should go in this weather or darkness or whatever, default to the most conservative response and don't go. Make this a rule you both agree on prior to leaving on the trip.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:06   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Most of our boating friends drink.. what we would call.. heavily!! I have been around people who drink like this.. and it's ok.. for a night.. or even 2.. but when it is drinking and getting drunk every night?! It just really stops being fun for us.
What you're not considering is whether any of your 'drinking' friends would want to spend a week with you.

The admiral and I drink socially, however I strongly suspect we drink 'heavily' by your standards. We have friends who drink and friends who don't. Whether you do or don't is your choice, we don't judge. However, we're not idiots, and know the difference between those who don't drink, those who drink a little, and those who drink like we do.

We opt NOT to vacation with our non-drinking friends. Trust me, it's not that much fun on our side of the fence either.
Shrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:19   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
What you're not considering is whether any of your 'drinking' friends would want to spend a week with you.
I absolutely agree! that's why finding the right companions, on both sides, is really critical.

OH, and I just wanted to say I love my friends who drink.. dearly... it's just not a good fit for a week long vacation in a small space.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:21   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

Adopt what I have heard called the most conservative response rule, that is if the two of you disagree on whether you should go in this weather or darkness or whatever, default to the most conservative response and don't go. Make this a rule you both agree on prior to leaving on the trip.
One of the members here.. Shaktisboy...mentioned that he and his wife do this.. one of the best "rules of the road" I have ever heard. we have practiced this ever since.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:21   #9

I think if you have reservations now about your friends, then you are spot on. On a boat it will get worse.
It's really not that hard, consider chartering on your own. With your experience/training you should do fine. What charter destination? some are harder than others, but most places have recommendations where to anchor etc. It'll be good for you both!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:28   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I think if you have reservations now about your friends, then you are spot on. On a boat it will get worse.
It's really not that hard, consider chartering on your own. With your experience/training you should do fine. What charter destination? some are harder than others, but most places have recommendations where to anchor etc. It'll be good for you both!
We have actually been looking at the Abacos...
Old 02-05-2016, 11:33   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
I think chartering on your own with a hired captain for a day or 2 probably makes the most sense.
+1. Some time with "training wheels" should help your confidence. Just be sure its clear up front that you two want to do most of the boat handling.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:34   #12

The Bahamas are some of my favorites anywhere. Shallow water, so have good charts/guides and learn to read the shallow spots. Polarized sunglasses are a big help. But destinations are usually just real short trips.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:37   #13

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
We have actually been looking at the Abacos...
The most important skill in the Bahamas is "eyeball" navigation. Practice that with a local captain for few days.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 16:15   #14

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Hi Scarlet,

You and your husband have plenty of experience. The first differences between monos and multis you find will be docking and anchoring. You can get a feel for these by day chartering a skippered cat of the size (mid 40's I gather) you plan on buying. Cats generally need to be sailed through tacks rather than spinning on a keel, but you'll quickly get a feel for that as well. After that do your week long charter by yourselves and get a feel for how it is to live aboard a cat.

And then there is this:

Quote:
awesome! thank you.

still arguing with hubby about this project. He thinks the boat is fine as it is.. but I have the NEED for SPEED!!!! There is a lot of fine tuning I want to do to maximize speed!
You might want to add Outremer, Schionning, Catana, and Chris White to your list

Cheers,
Old 02-05-2016, 17:28   #15

Scarlet,

The Abacos are a great place to charter. Very easy sailing, everything is close, lots of harbors and places to explore and the people are very friendly. We just got back from there.

You can check out Cruise Abaco. They have a program where you can have a Captain by day and after you anchor or moor for the evening the captain leaves for the night giving you privacy, then can return the next day.

Although I agree with the others, you've got plenty of experience to charter on your own in a safe environment like the Abacos.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Spear06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter