Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2014, 12:27   #1
cruiser

Osmosis treatment

A friend of mine was negotiating to purchase a 2010 Mahe , to his surprise he was informed that this vessel had been treated with a full bottom peel to rectify an osmosis problem , but that actually this was an " asset" and should provide him with peace of mind !
The broker was somewhat surprised that the sale fell through !?
Le Doume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 12:36   #2

Re: Osmosis treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Doume View Post
A friend of mine was negotiating to purchase a 2010 Mahe , to his surprise he was informed that this vessel had been treated with a full bottom peel to rectify an osmosis problem , but that actually this was an " asset" and should provide him with peace of mind !
The broker was somewhat surprised that the sale fell through !?
It is indeed an "asset" as it is something FP takes care of under warranty. This warranty is not transferred to the next owner (although some 2nd hand owners have gotten FP to oblige). He should have gone through with the purchase.
jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 12:45   #3
cruiser

The reason why he did not was that ultimately the problem will develop above the water line and that this issue is not covered by any warranty as it is deemed to be " purely aesthetic " by the manufacturer , and yes you are right , the warranty is NOT transferable , so I do think that he Mede the right decision
Cheers and happy sailing
Old 20-03-2014, 12:56   #4

It is EXTREMELY unusual for blistering to develop above the waterline. Personally, I would consider it a large plus for any particular boat to know that it had been peeled and treated.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 13:09   #5

Boat: 99 Island Packet 380

I think that it would be unusual for blisters to develop in only 3-4 years, so I wouldn't have bought it either.
Old 20-03-2014, 13:11   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

I do not believe it is that uncommon. I have seen boats with bottoms treated and osmosis blisters developing above the waterline.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 13:22   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
It is EXTREMELY unusual for blistering to develop above the waterline. Personally, I would consider it a large plus for any particular boat to know that it had been peeled and treated.
Ho Dear , you will be forgiven for knowing very little about this particular manufacturer , it is EXTREMELY common to see this problem develop , I should know , I had one , and three sailing friends of mine have also had the same issue .
Cheers
Old 20-03-2014, 17:43   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

We did and are still doing osmosis treatment for FP under warranty. If properly done (FP is checking every step of the treatment and keeping track of every humidity readings and 100's of pictures taken during the process) I believe it's an asset. I wouldn't go in details but the contaminated layer is removed and replaced with higher quality of resins, barriers, etc..
Yes, sometimes 3-4 years after the treatment, we see bubbles above water line but this is not a structural issue and most of the time is not treated. Otherwise, local grinding and repairs can be done.
Cheers
Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 18:09   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Yeloya,

In your experience, just how far above the waterline do the osmosis blisters extend?

Thanks.

Ann
Old 20-03-2014, 18:12   #10

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
We did and are still doing osmosis treatment for FP under warranty. If properly done (FP is checking every step of the treatment and keeping track of every humidity readings and 100's of pictures taken during the process) I believe it's an asset. I wouldn't go in details but the contaminated layer is removed and replaced with higher quality of resins, barriers, etc..
Yes, sometimes 3-4 years after the treatment, we see bubbles above water line but this is not a structural issue and most of the time is not treated. Otherwise, local grinding and repairs can be done.
Cheers
Yeloya

This was such a big issue for FP and must have done a lot of damage to their image and reputation in the marketplace. They were indeed fortunate that this did not bring the company down as a much smaller manufacturer would probably not have survived.

What surprised me about this is that this problem affected various different models in their range over several years and when they first became aware of it it seems like they did not make the appropriate changes in materials and production process to quickly correct it. Why did it continue to also affect new models that they released?

I'm a real fan of some of the earlier FP designs and I particularly like the Lavezzi & Eleuthera which I have done a Pacific crossing on but this damn osmosis issue which seems to affect FP more than their competitors does concern me about buying one.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 18:26   #11

Boat: Lightwave 45

Maybe so but that does not stop people buying them. 2500 boats over 30 years and now well over 100 boats per year and have just ramped up Helia manufacturing facility.

Since ISO accreditation and Vinylester coatings introduced four years ago there have been no instances of osmosis.

I do not see this as a reason not to buy an older FP, but certainly could be used as a discussion point when negotiating price. Many marine engineers now experienced in fixing these problems and can give pretty accurate pricing to be allowed for in the negotiation.
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 18:31   #12

Boat: Lightwave 45

I have seen small osmosis blisters up to bridgedeck on some boats, but easy to fix on lift. On the other hand saw a Lavezzi recently that had an underwater peel many years ago and no blisters appeared.

The effect is caused by water seeping up the hull, so the sooner it is addressed the better and you have to take great care to dry properly before applying vinylester coating.
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 18:48   #13

Osmosis treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwjohm View Post
I have seen small osmosis blisters up to bridgedeck on some boats, but easy to fix on lift. On the other hand saw a Lavezzi recently that had an underwater peel many years ago and no blisters appeared.

The effect is caused by water seeping up the hull, so the sooner it is addressed the better and you have to take great care to dry properly before applying vinylester coating.

I agree with you that if a boat has been fixed properly than it should be a much better bet than one of the same vintage and model that has not been done and should hopefully prevent a potential repair bill for a prospective new owner. So, it could certainly be used as a selling point.
Old 20-03-2014, 19:29   #14

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

I dont believe is water intrusion at the laminate, not a real osmosis isue, asking to one of the pro,s in the boatyard doing Fp barrier coatings each year he say to me is mostly a infusion BS at some point in the hull lay up,
i see Helias with blisters or mahes with blister even under the bridgedeck,
2011 or 2012 .. almost new boats, not big deal if the PO made a hull peel`+barrier coat, above the waterline is just live with that or spend big $$$,,,
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 19:42   #15

So even fairly new boats like 2012 Helias have this problem as well? I wasn't aware of this. So, FP still haven't fully solved the problem then?

Tags
men, osmosis