Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 31-03-2014, 23:27   #76

Boat: Helia 44
Re: Osmosis treatment

If you mean you are considering buying a new FP then there are no issues. The problems referred to here go back around 4 years (prior to 2010). If you mean that you are considering a second hand FP then some extra research may be warranted together with discussion on price, but this should not stop you if you like the particular boat.

Old 31-03-2014, 23:41   #77

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Living on dirt waiting for our new yacht to be built.
Boat: Half built Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Which boat show? and Who was doing the telling?

Here is what the Specification sheet says, which is freely available to boat show going public and is handed out with every brochure (well every boat show I have been at for the last 4 years)

Quote:
Hull Laminate: Vinyl Ester resin is used in manufacture of the hulls for the fibreglass laminate between the gelcoat and the foam core. Laminate specifications are as approved by NSW Maritime Authority to meet Australian Survey Standards.
I will PM you the name of the boat show and the personnel, but it looks to me that they are right.
The brochure does not say what resin is below the waterline inside the foam core. I suspect it is polyester which fits in with what I was told and contradicts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Seawind have never used polyester below the waterline. Im pretty sure that Lightwave are the same.

Old 31-03-2014, 23:46   #78
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwjohm View Post
If you mean you are considering buying a new FP then there are no issues. The problems referred to here go back around 4 years (prior to 2010). If you mean that you are considering a second hand FP then some extra research may be warranted together with discussion on price, but this should not stop you if you like the particular boat.
Hello there ,
Thank you , No I am not looking at new boats and if I was I would not look at FP's as I do not like the elevated helming station and I prefer the " lines " of the older model " . My choice would have been a Lavezzi but they seem to have a bad reputation due to blisters below and above the water line !!.
I am after an " owner version" and will keep on looking , my next choice was Leopard , well they are rapidly becoming my first choice now
Thanks again for your input
Old 31-03-2014, 23:55   #79
cruiser

Quote:
Please do correct me if I am wrong , but I do believe that this thread was started upon an " incident" related to a Mahe built in 2010 which had to be treated for osmosis below the water line , so your theory appears to be flawed somehow in regard to when the problem ceased to exist ( some seem to think that it is still an issue today? )
Best regards
Old 01-04-2014, 00:00   #80

Good luck with that. Make sure you sail it first as older Leopards have a reputation for low bridgedeck clearance and significant wave slamming. To quote a previous leopard owner I spoke to over the weekend "There was so much noise I thought the floor of the saloon was going to cave in". Note that unlike osmosis issues this is NOT fixeable.

Osmosis IS fixable and I know of many very satisfied Lavezzi owners including those with bottom peels.

Disclaimer here of course is that modern Leopards do not have the same issues and in my view are very nice boats.

Every second hand boat has its issues, and most manufacturers have dealt with the issues in the newer boats.
Old 01-04-2014, 00:03   #81

Quote:
Please do correct me if I am wrong , but I do believe that this thread was started upon an " incident" related to a Mahe built in 2010 which had to be treated for osmosis below the water line , so your theory appears to be flawed somehow in regard to when the problem ceased to exist ( some seem to think that it is still an issue today? )
Best regards
The vinylester coatings below the waterline on FP boats was instituted in mid 2010, nearly 4 years ago.
Old 01-04-2014, 00:15   #82

From the Lghtwave website and as explained to me by Roger

The Lightwave cruising catamarans shell structure is constructed using the latest techniques available. The entire shell and the majority of the stiffening in the hull is hand laid FRP. Built utilizing foam sandwich construction with hand laid stitched FRP laminates either side of foam core material. The hull topsides are gelled in white gel coat (isophthalic resin) to create the most weather resistant and gloss retaining finish. The hull below the waterline utilizes modified epoxy resin. To optimise the resistance to osmotic blistering, the entire hull has a skin coat of powder bound chopped strand matt with vinylester resin. The remaining hull shell consists of a single skin laminate in the bottom with a substantial increase in thickness in the keel areas.

I would have thought Seawind was similar
Old 01-04-2014, 00:40   #83

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Living on dirt waiting for our new yacht to be built.
Boat: Half built Bestevaer.

Quote:
I would have thought Seawind was similar
My understanding is that Seawind use polyester for the inner layer, but it is very hard to get accurate information.

I would suggest anyone purchasing any boat get a proper technical answer to the question about hull layup (above and below the waterline). The brochures and even dealers answers can be misleading. As well as resins used the type and weight of fibreglass is important to asses the overall quality of the construction as is the core material (if any) and how this is applied etc.

These are fundamental questions that are much more critical than most of the information in the brochure.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:57   #84

Location: Liveaboard cruiser. Home port Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Boat: Lagoon 400

Weather the newer, post- mid-2010 Fountaine Pajot sailing cats suffer from osmosis has still not been established. It definitely seems to be much less of a problem since the factory switched resin suppliers.

What hasn't been mentioned is that some new FP models eg. Helia have gone to using a balsa core BELOW the waterline.

Perhaps FP will still have problems: of a different type?
Old 01-04-2014, 04:06   #85
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon

Hi Jacques (La Doume),

With reference to your post#75 you now say you have recently sold a monohull, strange as I was sure you were trying to sell your Lavetzi. I feel you only have one goal here and that is to try to throw mud at the FP brand. Please come clean on this as you have now just wandered off track a little.
You were the one that started this thread to discredit a manufacturer and a local dealer/importer.

Regards Gordon.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:49   #86

Boat: 38' French Cat

The one we saw was an 04; and it was above the waterline between the hulls. Not sure if they were blisters they looked more like warts. The athena we looked at did not have any of them at all we passed on both. There were just too many things that screamed you'll hate living on this boat. Horrid top with poor helm positioning in relation to viewing forward. Poor storage. Decks felt light/ flimsy, cramped hulls and births, tiny heads. 1 electrical outlet entire boat. Poor wiring config. Uncomfortable settee. Saildrives.. And the possible osmosis issue.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 01-04-2014, 05:50   #87

Boat: 38' French Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
The one we saw was an 04; and it was above the waterline between the hulls. Not sure if they were blisters they looked more like warts. The athena we looked at did not have any of them at all we passed on both. There were just too many things that screamed you'll hate living on this boat. Horrid top with poor helm positioning in relation to viewing forward. Poor storage. Decks felt light/ flimsy, cramped hulls and births, tiny heads. 1 electrical outlet entire boat. Poor wiring config. Uncomfortable settee. Saildrives.. And the possible osmosis issue. Other than that we loved it

Old 01-04-2014, 07:31   #88
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I have seen many Athenas and Venezias and have never seen one with a blister problem. I think the blister problem started with the Lavezzi model years.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:52   #89
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Hi Jacques (La Doume),

With reference to your post#75 you now say you have recently sold a monohull, strange as I was sure you were trying to sell your Lavetzi. I feel you only have one goal here and that is to try to throw mud at the FP brand. Please come clean on this as you have now just wandered off track a little.
You were the one that started this thread to discredit a manufacturer and a local dealer/importer.

Regards Gordon.
This post is from a friend of mine presently visiting us , nothing to do with me !
Old 01-04-2014, 13:24   #90
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Hi Jacques (La Doume),

Regards Gordon.
Dear Gordon & Louise

Once again post 75 was from Ocean Vegtor , a SA friend of mine presently staying with us , but never mind , sorry if you are confused , I am now moving on , leaving for the Med on Friday , this thread has fulfilled its purpose and I shall not access this forum any longer, I wish you and Louise a great cruise on your Helia , being such a staunch supporter of the Brand I do understand that some of the various posts would have upset you , but that is life
Farewell dear friend
By the way , it is LE Doume , maybe when you get back to the Med you may want to find out what it stands for in my native Provence
Happy sailing :whistl ing:

Tags
men, osmosis

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: