Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-09-2012, 08:31   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
Orana 44 Final Verdict?

I all

We've been researching cats for a while with a view to taking a few years off to go cruising with the kids (2). We pretty much settled on the orana 44 as the first choice so I'm wondering what the final verdict on the boat is? I've read of a couple of problem boats which I guess is normal in the grand scheme of things but I'm interested to know why they are replacing it with an entirely new model after only a few years of production? It looks like the FP fleet is going through an upgrade but they all seem to be the same model "evolution" so why change to a new name entirely (or is the helia being produced alongside the orana?)
Overall the orana seemed a sweet package and feedback looked mostly very good but I'm wondering if the design has some underlying issues. Unfortunately I'm not so stoked with the Helia, granted they are only model pics but she looks very boxy.

Cheers, Andy

Old 05-09-2012, 12:58   #2

Re: Orana 44 Final Verdict?

I have narrowed my search down to a few boats with the Orana at the top. I have read every blog post and review on the Orana and believe it to be a solid production boat and good value for the money. I have also followed sales trends and it looks like FP depreciates slightly more than Lagoon and I can't figure out why. It may be because they change models more frequently like in your example of the Orana being replaced by the Helia after just 5 years. It is well known that Lagoon is a better selling brand than FP so the recent changes are most likely a response to competition. I think it is interesting that the Helia looks almost as much like a new Lagoon as it does a new FP.

Old 05-09-2012, 13:31   #3

Boat: PDQ32 & FP Helia 44 on order

I suspect the new Helia is intended to make the boat more charter friendly. With the Orana there was always the issue of who gets the big cabin with the walk around bed. Not an issue for owners but bound to be a debate items for couples sharing the boat. The Helia has pretty much equal cabins which works best for charter.
As an Orana owner I think long term the value of my boat in the resale market will benefit from the exceptional accomodation provided for owners.
Old 05-09-2012, 22:22   #4

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Feet

(or is the helia being produced alongside the orana?)

Cheers, Andy
My understanding is that the Orana will be discontinued and replaced with Helia.

DH
Old 05-09-2012, 22:34   #5

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

I'm sure Gordon, will chime in soon.
He has just sold his Oran and is waiting to pick up a new Helia so he should have all the answers that you require.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:28   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon

Hi Andy, Dragon Lady was right, time to speak up. Jostalli is probably correct, with only 92 Oranas built and sold over the last 5 years compared to 200+ Lagoon of similar size, also FP tend to review and change models every 5-7 years. We were very happy with our boat and sold because of the opputinity to buy a new boat taking delivery at La Rochelle France for the sale price and the adventure sailing back to Australia.
As you said the normal problems, part of owning a boat ( same with house, car etc..)
Sandy please PM me if you want more detail but just to say we were impressed with its sailing ability in all weather and its ease of sailing with just a couple or even one up. A very easy boat to maintain and very comfortable to live on for extended periods.

Cheers Gordon.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:50   #7

Boat: Lagoon 450
Hi Gordon I'm not a trusted member so I can't PM you, can you please email me on andy(at)vertech.com.au

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: