Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 02:07   #1
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
Oram 52 - Farrier 44

What do you guys think of these as long term live aboards?

Used 2005 FARRIER F-44SC Boat For Sale - boatpoint.com.au

Used 2003 ORAM 52 Boat For Sale - boatpoint.com.au

dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:11   #2

Boat: Avon Rib, 65hp
Re: Oram 52 - Farrier 44

Dennisail,
First, the Farrier, I thought it rang a bell.
Check out the article from 2010 'Told you so' half way down the page.
THE MULTIHULL COMPANY Newsletter
Also note current the price isn't drive away, that means there's probably duties or taxes to pay on top.
Not saying the problems haven't been fixed but at least you're now a little better informed about what a surveyor should concentrate on.
Cheers,
Mac
Old 09-10-2013, 03:19   #3
cruiser

Thanks. I guess thats why its cheap. The interior style is horrid too.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:41   #4

Boat: Avon Rib, 65hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
Thanks. I guess thats why its cheap. The interior style is horrid too.
I've got nothing on the Oram, you might want to PM '44cruisingcat' if he doesn't jump in here.
He's quite an Oram expert and well worth getting an opinion from.
Cheers,
Mac
Old 09-10-2013, 04:50   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Both are good designs. But both are customs built, a good custom boat is better than a production boat, a bad one, worse. The trick is in knowing which it is. 44c is well worth talking too having built his Oram and having lived aboard and cruised extensively for some years. Might be worth engaging him to have a look, certainly you will want a really really good MULTIHULL surveyor, there are probably only two guys in SEQ that I will use if I am buying a boat for me.

Understand Orams philiosophy as well, An oram 52 is nothing like a lagoon 52 or similar, Its all about having reasonable accommodation on really long hulls.

I would happily own a good example of both designs.

On the Farrier, an email to Ian Farrier may or may not be productive. He is a busy man with his F22 production line, but may also be worth flying him over for a look. There is an F41 (very similar to F44 - See farriers website for discussion, Farrier 44) for sale in Adelaide, I think I have seen that boat personally but cant be sure, if it is the boat I am thinking of it wasnt too bad, but I certainly didnt do a survey on it. I would think a good F41 is worth every bit of High 3s and low 4s. Depending on sail condition engine hours etc etc.

There is a beautiful Whitehaven on the market that would be my pick of a 300K cruising cat, sadly its not a boat I have on the books! Also Mark Pescott has his own boat on the market for 150k, older boat but a great thing for a minimalist cruiser, again sadly not on my books. You might get the sense here that I think a good Pescott is a real good thing. And if you end up looking at them, its always worth talking direct to Mark
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:46   #6

I'm going to visit Bob Oram on the weekend. I'll ask him about Colours.

Certainly the 52 works as a liveaboard, a couple in the Northern territory/NW Aus have done so for well over 10 years. (There's a photo of them in our old "Cruising the NSW coast", from 2000) Sitting out cyclone seasons too.

As Factor says, don't expect the space you'd get on a 50 foot Lagoon though. But then it'll sail rings round a Lagoon....
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 21:18   #7
cruiser

Thanks guys. I understand that many custom boats are better than prod boats when built to the designers specs. People will argue this, but they are better for ME. A multi should be light weight if it is to suit my needs of high speed under sail in all wind strengths and directions. But sure, there are some dodgy builds out there!

I fully appreciate that an oram 52 will not have anywhere near the space of a lagoon. However I already own a house which has more space than a lagoon, so if space was my only priority I would just stay at home. Sailing performance is very high on my priority list. But it must be comfortable for 4 people (2 for now, but you don't know what might happen). We would plan to live on it long term.

I also love Oram designs. A boat similar to 44cs would be my ideal boat. This 52 looks really long for its accommodations. How would you say the accommodations might compare to your boat 44c? I know its hard to tell from the pics. Also what is the go with the helm station right behind a bulkhead. Are you expected to stick your head out the cabin top? Asking bob would be awesome! Its a shame to he took his website away and there is no way to even look at his old designs. It would great to have a data base with his old designs in it for comparisons.

The fact is it has come up a little to early. I still have to repair and sell my current boat, then finish my home renovations so I can rent the place out. But its good to see some good designs are almost affordable.

I also like Pescott designs. Sanuk is a beautiful boat, but a bit small for the money.

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-fo...2%204294886300

Here is another well worth considering due to the price. Not as nice as Sanuk but if its sound I could not justify the price difference. But I really want a mid 40 footer.

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-fo...2%204294886300
Old 14-10-2013, 12:48   #8

Saw Bob, PM sent.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:05   #9
cruiser

Thanks for that 44c.

We took a look at the oram. It has potential for the right price but Nikki was not blown away by the accommodations and I hit my head in a few crucial areas...

What chance does this have of sailing decently, yeah it won't be a race boat but will it be faster than most monos? I am willing to sacrifice some performance for comfort as long as performance is still a good step forward from my current boat which is not slow.

2004 CROWTHER SP40 for sale | Trade Boats, Australia

Links to the first 2 boats which no longer work.

Used 2003 ORAM 52 Boat For Sale - boatsales.com.au

Used 2005 FARRIER F-44SC Boat For Sale - boatsales.com.au
Old 27-10-2014, 04:50   #10

Boat: Catana 53

Hi guys,

I came across this thread, and thought that if you are still interested in knowing anything about an F-41 I would be more than happy to talk.

Full disclosure, my wife and I are literally listing our F-41 Endless Summer for sale this week, but whether or not you buy my boat, after 7 years of ownership and extensive cruising from California, to Oz, to Palau, to Malaysia; I have a lot of experience with the F-41 and am happy to share.

Kind regards,
Steve May
Endless Summer
F-41
Maybers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 13:07   #11

Hi Steve. Dennis has already bought a boat, it was neither of the two in this thread! He bought a 43 foot Crowther, a nice boat which needs a bit of work, but mostly cosmetic.

I'm sure others may be interested in your boat though, might be an idea to post some links to info and photo's?
Old 27-10-2014, 16:36   #12

Thanks for your response.

I will definitely post some links and info once I get home from Langkawi where I am laying her up.

Warm, (literally frickin' hot) regards,
Steve
Old 27-10-2014, 18:37   #13

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I think if you can swing the $, a cat's the way to go. And when I say that, about $ I mean, make sure that you've got it in the budget plan (long term) for upkeep. Especially when it comes time for a major refit. Like replacing one or two of the primary sails at once (as can on occasion be mandatory, due to events beyond your control damaging them... or just; time, plus general wear & tear).

Also, aside from the regular survey stuff etc., that:
- The one which you pick/are giving a hard look, has enough sail area to still perform well in light air, when fully loaded down with 2-3 tonnes of gear, minimum.
Calculating the Bruce Number's a good start for that.
- Make sure that ALL of the primary crew who'll be onboard regularly, are COMFORTABLE handling all of the major, & high load systems + maneuvering the vessel in tight situations (under less than optimum conditions).
Particularly given things like the weight of the main & ground tackle on boats that big, ditto on sheet loads. Plus, docking etc.
I say this, as while 2 boats can be about the same size, how they handle, & how they're setup 2 handle can make a gigantic difference.

And... make sure that their autopilots are good enough so that you never spill your cocktails, when it get's to be that time of day. As if you invite me over for such, I have some AMAZINGLY good rum (and am great in the galley as well... for finger food to go with the cocktails) ;-)

PS: I doubt you'll much miss the ameneties of a big production cat. Most of the stuff on them nowadays, people didn't & still don't, routinely have at home.
And I was comfy space wise, living aboard a 31' Searunner, at 1.88m & 105kg

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 16:37   #14

I just considered this Farrier F44, then i stumbled upon this page.

It seems there were a number of problems with this boat and it has been for sale a long time. Perhaps many others have dismissed it also...

Also, do they all come with rotating masts? This seems like a good thing but it also adds to complexity when going remote...
Moonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 17:12   #15

Greetings,

I own an F-41 and have extensive cruising experience aboard. My boat is for sale, but whether or not you are interested in my particular boat, I am more than happy to discuss catamarans and my thoughts on what to look for in a good world cruising cat.

I am currently home working in California and my boat is undergoing a 5 month 60k refit. Everyone told me, "don't spend the money", but I just want to pass her on in top condition. Whoever buys my boat is going to get an awesome deal. That said, I really am detached about selling. If she does not sell, then I have to go sailing on her again!

Warmly,
Steve May
F-41 Endless Summer
Currently in Phuket, Thailand