Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-07-2014, 08:26   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
Re: Opinions: Seawind 1160 Lite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
Hello all,
I have been a fan of the Seawinds for some time and the new 1160 lite appears to be a step in the right direction particularly here in Australia regarding the price. I believe that the new quoted price delivered is going to bring Seawind a lot more new owners and I can see a lot of these people stepping up from their current Seawind 1000 to one of these models. Personally the galley down is not a winner for me and I would love to see a galley up version. If that were the case I could see the wife leaning heavily towards the new model.

Greg and Sue
SV Sunshine
Unlikely - you would have a pitifully small saloon and an even worse galley. We offer galley up on the 1250 and so far (25 boats) no one has gone with it. You do realise that you can be in the galley and talk directly with eye contact to someone on the helm? But tanks for the supportive words.

Old 16-07-2014, 03:54   #17

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.
Opinions: Seawind 1160 Lite?

Top of my wish list for the 1160 is for the factory to extend the hulls just like they did with the 1000XL. This would make the side profile of the 1160 hugely more attractive which I believe this model is crying out for and take away the cut off look that the 1160 has.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 16-07-2014, 07:03   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Unlikely - you would have a pitifully small saloon and an even worse galley. We offer galley up on the 1250 and so far (25 boats) no one has gone with it. You do realise that you can be in the galley and talk directly with eye contact to someone on the helm? But tanks for the supportive words.
Factor, I am curious. Is the 1160 Lite going to be sold alongside the regular 1160, or will it replace it?
Old 16-07-2014, 07:53   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII

Alongside, there are now three versions
Lite
Sport (Daggerboards and carbon and HP sails and outboards - think Lite with daggerboards and even lighter)
Deluxe (what was the original 1160 - diesels and higher spec trims, two dunnies etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post
Top of my wish list for the 1160 is for the factory to extend the hulls just like they did with the 1000XL. This would make the side profile of the 1160 hugely more attractive which I believe this model is crying out for and take away the cut off look that the 1160 has.
No discussion in that direction, but I have seen one in the US (I haven't seen it personally but seen photos) that the owner extended himself. Looks okay. But as I said, I want them to spend the energy on a 1440 or similar.
Old 18-07-2014, 03:38   #20

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran

Our friend has purchased the first 1160 Lite and that is the one that will be shown at the Sydney Boat Show in two weeks. We are very interested to see what it is like, although we have purchased a Lightwave 38, we only want to see what it is like compared to the 1160 and our boat.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 08:25   #21

Looks good. I've always liked the seawinds but thought the used prices was a bit high. I will keep an eye on how this pans out.

For a personal use boat a single head would be perfect for me. Not many production cats 38-40 foot with only one head. I would rather the space be better used for something else. It's not the end of the world if the only head stops working for me but i'd imagine the women wouldn't be happy...
Old 19-07-2014, 03:57   #22

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.
Opinions: Seawind 1160 Lite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
No discussion in that direction, but I have seen one in the US (I haven't seen it personally but seen photos) that the owner extended himself. Looks okay. But as I said, I want them to spend the energy on a 1440 or similar.

I really wish they would do a 1160xl then they could drop the old "short arse" 1160 just like they did with the old 1000 which would make the 1160 a much better looking boat. The side profile of the current 1160 would certainly stop me from buying one.

I do agree with you that a 1440 would be great to add to their range as well.

Old 19-07-2014, 11:19   #23

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
Hello all,

. I believe that the new quoted price delivered is going to bring Seawind a lot more new owners and I can see a lot of these people stepping up from their current Seawind 1000 to one of these
As a 1000 owner I am not sure I agree. I am a singlehander and like how easy the 1000 is for me to sail. When I do have guests there is enough room for two couples, one in starboard hull and one in salon. Just the right size for me.
Old 26-02-2015, 10:44   #24

We are very interested. We love the changes, except for one...we really do prefer to have that second head in the guest berth. Could it be added? Before or after purchase? Pretty sure that would seal it for us.
Old 26-02-2015, 14:05   #25

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

I am a big fan of composting heads for lots of reasons. It would be fairly easy to add a second composting head.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 26-02-2015, 16:50   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
I am a big fan of composting heads for lots of reasons. It would be fairly easy to add a second composting head.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Big to composting heads for extended cruising!
Old 26-02-2015, 20:07   #27

As a 1160 owner my biggest complaint is lack of storage on the boat. Great for weekends, wouldn't be suitable for cruising. I'm interested in seeing the Lite with the storage/work bench area.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:47   #28

We looked at the 1160 several times when we were in California. It was on the short list. We loved the wide open feeling and great windows. Ultimately 38' felt a little small for our purposes and we struggled to get comfortable with the galley down and inside engines. Great boat though. Also +1 for Monte at WCMs. He was always willing to go out of his way to accommodate us and answer all our questions (on the Seawind, FPs and his brokerage boats).

Happy hunting!
Old 02-03-2015, 20:07   #29

Boat: Seawind - 1160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindoctor View Post
As a 1160 owner my biggest complaint is lack of storage on the boat. Great for weekends, wouldn't be suitable for cruising. I'm interested in seeing the Lite with the storage/work bench area.

We lived aboard our 1160 for four years and never had a problem with storage. Two hanging lockers, plenty of Haley storage, loads of space under the settee cushions. We cruised from Texas to Maryland with 3 winters in the Bahamas and found we could store loads of provisions in the two very deep freezers.

An 1160 from Oz is presently in the Caribbean after recently crossing the Atlantic Ocean. I consider that real cruising.

Old 02-03-2015, 20:47   #30

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Double-Wide, is that your boat for sale?

Tags
Seawind, Seawind 1160, wind

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: