Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-01-2016, 06:41   #76

Re: Opinions please on cat purchase

Gemini Catamarans-unfortunate. Great design and layout ruined by the worst customer service I have ever experienced in purchasing any product neverthemind a $300k brand new boat. For details, pm me. Beware of this company.

Old 15-01-2016, 06:43   #77

Be warned. Gemini Catamarans-unfortunate. Great design and layout ruined by the worst customer service I have ever experienced in purchasing any product neverthemind a $300k brand new boat. For details, pm me. Beware of this company.[/QUOTE]

Old 22-01-2016, 11:44   #78

Boat: Switch 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
Seems you are both in violent agreement. Its just that svniko has taken it to the logical conclusion ie if you are going to motor in ideal sailing conditions then why not get a trawler and save all the hassle and expense of having the rig?

With fuel at current levels I would guess its going to make economic sense too. After all Steve Dashew wound up that way in the end albeit a "performance trawler"
Precisely, and I meant it seriously for the OP. We travel in company with a couple on a trawler, and its a very nice boat. Much more comfortable than a sailboat but its systems are different, running the genset for big chunks of time.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:29   #79

If you can find a Perry 43, I reckon you will be happy.
Old 01-02-2016, 17:54   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz3 View Post
I think you may be looking at this from the wrong perspective. You are concentrating on choosing and buying a boat, but what you are really doing is buying a lifestyle. Boats, you have some training and experience in. The lifestyle, not so much. And aside from the details, a lot of the boats you're looking at are really not that different from each other.

I think you should consider shopping instead for the right people to buy a boat from. Choose a couple/family like yourselves who have been (and currently ARE) living this lifestyle on a good boat that is well equipped and thoroughly sorted. A boat that is expertly rigged and maintained and in daily use by people more experienced and knowledgable than yourselves who are either up/down sizing or moving ashore. A boat that is a turn key, sail away cruising system that you can literally step into, and with a day or so of instruction and familiarization from the sellers, sail off in.

They will have already dealt with all the issues and questions you will have and some you never thought of, because how would you know?

Admittedly, this will be a lot harder than clicking through hundreds of online listings of boats tied to docks in various parts of the world. But there are a considerable number of family cruisers who take a year or two at some opportune time of life to go cruising. Buying a fully sorted cruising machine from someone like that might put you months and dollars ahead.
Best advice you can hear! Bravo
Old 05-02-2016, 17:14   #81
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Lagoon 440, for sale from March 2016 in New Caledonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkii View Post
Best advice you can hear! Bravo
+1
I was surprised the OP didn't seem to have taken on board that most valuable post
Old 05-02-2016, 17:45   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
+1
I was surprised the OP didn't seem to have taken on board that most valuable post
Indeed
Old 05-02-2016, 21:14   #83

Boat: TBD

Thanks everyone, I am continuing to read the replies to this thread, and I agree with you guys that dgz3's post was excellent. I've been taking it all in and learning as much as we can.

We've also opened the door to monohulls now. We'd still prefer a cat, but there are a lot more monohulls that have a lot for the price. Our financial picture is a bit fluid, so we are weighing our options. But I don't want to turn this into a mono vs cat thread, I've read all those and know the plusses and minuses of each.

Tags
lease, purchase

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: