Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2014, 07:44   #1

Opinions on Tasman elite 12

Does anyone have any input to the above model cat?

I am looking at different cats for cruising but have very little experience in sailing boats all round. I have done a bare boat course, and plent of trailer power boat experience. I recently chartered my first cat which was a tasman elite 12. I did manage to experience some big conditions in this charter. It was built about 1997.

Previously I was considering a lagoon 380, but the extra space and refrigeration capacity of the elite 12 really appealed to me. I want to stay at 12 meters or less so I can eventually get my coxswain licence.

What do people think of the tasman elite 12? It had a bit of slamming, but I can't really compare it to other cats as this was my first trip on a cat.

What other 12m cats should I look at at the $200k-$300k aud price range with plenty of room for cruising?
Moonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 14:38   #2

Re: Opinions on Tasman elite 12

They do have quite low bridgedeck clearance. Where were you planning to sail?
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 15:00   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
They do have quite low bridgedeck clearance. Where were you planning to sail?
Well, roughly a year in QLD Australia part time to cut my teeth, then eventually onto Asia for a year, and eventually around the world.

I'm not after something hugely performance orientated, but plenty of room and the ability to handle decent seas would be priority.

It did have a lower inside headroom than the lagoon, and with the low bridge deck I think the elite would be pretty aerodynamic for want of a better terminology.
Old 10-07-2014, 00:12   #4

I'd also look at Lightwave 38's and 40's. (Though the 40's may be too exxy)

And Seawind 1160's.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:01   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

The 12s are a pretty old design, with lots of timber cores and most have had some time in the charter fleets, so look carefully and engage a good surveyor. Having said that, it you get it at the right price it will fine for the costal hops, offshore, not as sure.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:35   #6

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Looks like a sweet coastal cat. Offshore or into heavy wind and waves may be bothersome with that low bridge deck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tasman elite 12 .jpg
Views:	434
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	84730  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 15:33   #7

Thanks everyone.

I guess I am being a bit optimistic when I say I would like to sail around the world. While I do want to do that, realistically I would probably be happy to sail around QLD Australia for a year learning some more, then go up the coast towards the north of Australia, bali and onto Thailand, Malaysia and the Philippines. Maybe work a few months, sail for 6-12 months then keep repeating for a few years.

That would keep me busy for a number of years before I needed to venture further afield.

What do people think of island cruising from QLD around the coast to Darwin, bali and onto Thailand in something like this?

While I could easily upgrade to a more blue water cat after all this, I can imagine once I get a boat I will end up customising it a fare bit with gadgets as that's just the way I am and then would have to start again.

I realise that anything is a compromise on space, price, performance, ease of sailing and blue water ability. From what I see the elite seems a reasonable compromise as long as the blue water part doesn't let me down too much. I did motor it into 2+ meter wind against tide swell in 30 knots but I'm not sure the boat would like to do that for too long.

Whatever I get I will get a thorough survey for sure.

Far too many questions. I am new to sailing but there is nothing I enjoy more than being on the water.
Old 10-07-2014, 19:00   #8

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

I have not seen a Tasman Elite in the flesh, but going on the photos it seems the design is emphasised towards open living space rather than bluewater capability. As noted by others the low bridgedeck is better suited to calmer waters than offshore. Also the large expanse of saloon without something to hold onto is great at anchor, but less desirable at sea.

So while it no doubt could do the offshore trips, you might be better looking for something with more focus on your intended use. Would you buy a family sedan or a 4WD for extended travelling around the country when your plan is to visit places off the beaten track?

Suggestions for Lightwave and Seawind are good, but a bit harder in the price range.

In my case, I felt the compromise between performance, seaworthiness and space was satisfied with a Lagoon. My 410 came within your price range, and a 380 is also an option.
Old 11-07-2014, 14:57   #9

Thanks for the family sedan vs 4wd analogy. That really hit home cause I'm a 4wd person for sure

Perhaps a lagoon 410 might be a more suitable boat. A bit more cash, but something I can set up and hang into for a while without needing to trade up once I am comfortable to go further afield.

It's a shame it is over the 12 meter point, but such is life.
Old 11-07-2014, 18:46   #10

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

If the 12M really is an issue, there are more 380's around, and they should be slightly cheaper.

As for the family sedan vs 4WD analogy, neither is wrong. It's just a matter of choice. In the family sedan, most of the time you will be more comfortable, but there will be occasions when you decide not to go somewhere because of its limitations, or worry that's it's going to break when the going gets tough.

People may say my 410 is the equivalent of the family sedan, and compared to more performance oriented cats, it is. But for my purposes the compromise is fine.

And just to repeat, I have not seen a Tasman Elite, so my comments are only based on photos which could give a false impression.
Old 11-07-2014, 22:43   #11

Boat: currently boatless

Hi Moonos,
looking at your budget there are numerous multihulls out there that would suite your apparent needs. Having experienced sailing on only one multihull "may" skew your idea of what you actually think you require.
In your post you did not specify if you had or still own a sailing craft or what experience you have overall. The reason I say this is to gauge what to you really want in a multihull or if you really need a multihull.
Having learnt to sail on mono's then recently going to a 41 foot multi my wife and I had a pretty fair idea of what we wanted in a multi. Things such as size, able to be sailed by two people comfortably, safety, good sailing characteristics, bridge deck clearance, layout IE galley up or down, location of berths and how many were required. Size and layout of cockpit, steering station, ease of berthing etc etc etc.
There are a lot of boats out there in your size but few that will meet your personal requirement's. What works for me may not work for you or for others.
There are heaps of multihull sites that you can view boats and compare apples with apples. Looking at the Tasman elite I take it your in Australia. Have a look at Yachthub, multihull solutions, multihull central, yacht domain, trade a boat, just to name a couple of good sites. Looking at your price range there is a late model Leopard 38 in Qld under $300 at the moment. A much younger boat, faster, and to my mind well laid out for coastal cruising and further afield. That is only one example, there are many others.
In short, keep an open mind and look for one that suites your needs. The less you have to spend the more you have to cruise. Good luck in your hunt.

Greg H
SV Sunshine
Lagoon 410S2
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 23:19   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonos View Post
It's a shame it is over the 12 meter point, but such is life.
Not sure why you are restricting your search to less than 12 m?

You mentioned that you wish to eventually obtain coxwain's ticket. Sea time towards ticket can be obtained in any size vessel, although rec time doesn't count for much, so try to get sea time on commercial vessels of any type.

Once you have done the time, had it approved,passed the course and sat the oral inquisition you'll get a ticket. This will restrict you to 12m. commercial vessels, within coastal and horsepower limits. Commercial = "in survey"

My point is that unless you wish to buy a cat already in survey to use for commercial purposes, why bother about the 12 m size limit? There are considerable costs involved in maintaining a vessel in survey, so unless it's being worked, why bother?

Don't even think about getting a non surveyed Tasman Elite into survey.

Best of luck with the cat chase.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 15:04   #13

I have never owned a sailboat, just power boats. I am a beginner but slowly learning sailing. I currently work in mining and am researching different cats at the moment. I have about 18 months to find out what I want before I look for an actual boat to purchase. In the mean time I will charter some boats and get more experience.

I really liked the elite 12 as it had plenty of room, but I think the lack of blue water ability would restrict me too much. I want to be able to get off the beaten track, and be self sufficient.

My plan is to purchase a cat around the end of next year, and sort of semi retire sometime after that, only working occasionally to top up the kitty.

Two things that could help my lifestyle would be to either put it into charter for a couple of years first, or perhaps get my coxswains and take passengers around QLD. I realise the coxswains thing might not be easy, but if it partly funded my lifestyle and required me to work less I would be happy. Also, I would really enjoy taking people out on my boat so it's not all about the money. I'm a single guy and will be going solo anyway, so there would be plenty of room.

The Leopard 38 for sale looks pretty good. If I could get a similar boat in good condition with water maker, 100 litre freezer, radar and 3 cylinder (1500rpm) generator under $300k I would be very happy. At the moment I'm filling the kitty up so not buying just yet..

My ideal boat would be a lagoon 400 4 berth with 2 heads. It has room for a freezer, good inside headroom, nice size bathrooms, good sailing ability, nice sized cockpit all under 12 meters, but it's a bit expensive since they began in 2010. The 410 has less headroom and is over 12 meters.

I would prefer to keep my boat for many years, because once I set it up, and learn all the engineering, maintenance and systems, I wouldn't want to start again on another boat. I will be doing almost all the repairs and maintenance.

I'll keep researching, looking, learning and saving so when I am ready I will have the knowledge to jump onto a good thing. I might draw up a document with all the info and prices of suitable boats to help me. Thanks everyone for helping me look through the different options.

Off topic, but I'm looking to charter a 40 foot cat in the whitsundays in November, and will likely have a couple of spare cabins if anyone is interested in sharing some of the costs..? Actually, I'm happy to pay my way anywhere in Australia or asia for a week each month if anyone has a spare cabin as I get 9 days off every 35..
Old 12-07-2014, 15:38   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
Don't even think about getting a non surveyed Tasman Elite into survey.
Or indeed any vessel of any brand, if it wasn't built to survey (not that there is much difference in the build, its more about inspections and paper trails) then its nigh on impossible and way to expensive.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 15:58   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Or indeed any vessel of any brand, if it wasn't built to survey (not that there is much difference in the build, its more about inspections and paper trails) then its nigh on impossible and way to expensive.
I investigated and was quoted by 2 companies approx $25k ($10k for inspections/paperwork and $15k for modifications) to get a 5 year old lagoon 380 into survey.

Does that sound about right?