Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2014, 16:53   #16

Boat: currently boatless
Re: Opinions on Tasman elite 12

Hi Moonos,
having read your last post and it is the path you intend to follow could I suggest the following. On the boat sale site Yacht Hub there is a section under boats for sale which deals strictly with charter catamarans for sale. Usually the deal with Cats still in charter, ones that are nearing the completion of their charter life or are about to leave the charter fleet.
To my thinking I would rather have a boat that was already in survey then have one that had to be bought up to scratch. There are also differing levels of survey which restrict numbers on boats and where they can operate and also licences that may be required for you to operate in a specific area IE Great Barrier Reef National Park commercial cruising permit. I stand corrected on this but I am reasonably certain that you have to have your boat re-certified at least once a year. Insurance would also be another consideration as well of cost of where you wold intend to operate. While having no experience as a charter skipper I would imagine that you would require quite a reasonable amount of sailing experience including good navigational and people skills. I take responsibility for friends and family on board (who I know well). When I have strangers on board (for whatever reason) I am always doubly aware of them as I don't know how they will cop or react to certain situations.
If you look in the Whitsundays there is a plethora of companies and individuals doing exactly what your talking about. Competition for business is pretty solid. One would have to consider not only the cost of survey and maintaining the boat but advertising, net working travel/trip agents for work. Not my idea of semi or full time retirement.
Have you considered buying a cat with only two or three years left in a charter fleet to help offset the cost and allow you to upgrade what is required with the subsequent tax benefits. This would allow you to get your boat earlier, have limited use of it during this time and upgrade it to your own specification for the time you are ready for it.
Just some thoughts

Greg and Sue
SV Sunshine
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 04:14   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonos View Post
I investigated and was quoted by 2 companies approx $25k ($10k for inspections/paperwork and $15k for modifications) to get a 5 year old lagoon 380 into survey.

Does that sound about right?
Tell em you will pay them when you have the AMSA certificate in your hot little hands.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 02:17   #18

Ozsailor 's advice is spot on. So is Factor's.

If you want a boat in charter, buy one already in charter.

Perhaps have a very long chat with MSQ regarding getting your coxwain's ticket, likely licence restrictions, as well as the requirements, through AMSA and Queensland govt to maintain a boat in survey. There is a lot involved, ranging from safety equipment inspections to Queensland Health inspection of food preparation facilities.

Keep your dream alive, but maybe doing stints back at mines from time to time may be a better option for helping the kitty than operating charter boats?
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 07:29   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
Ozsailor 's advice is spot on. So is Factor's.

If you want a boat in charter, buy one already in charter.

Perhaps have a very long chat with MSQ regarding getting your coxwain's ticket, likely licence restrictions, as well as the requirements, through AMSA and Queensland govt to maintain a boat in survey. There is a lot involved, ranging from safety equipment inspections to Queensland Health inspection of food preparation facilities.

Keep your dream alive, but maybe doing stints back at mines from time to time may be a better option for helping the kitty than operating charter boats?
Yeah, my origional idea was to work 3-4 months per year and sail the rest. Dealing with the QLD health dept for inspection of food prep areas really makes it look non appealing.

I think I have decided on a 40 foot production cat, 3 or 4 berth with no more than 2 heads - lagoon, Robertson and Cain, Fountain Pajot, etc. The leopard 40 is looking good but I will be sure to charter one of each to decide myself...

Is it worth considering staying under 12 meters for mooring costs or would people not bother going just over? I plan to be mostly on the hook in Aust, but maybe more moorings in S.E.A.

I might still do the coxswains licence for my own development.

Buying a boat already in charter, or buying a privately owned boat and getting it surveyed, here are my thoughts:

Buying privately owned:

pro's - get one setup with heaps of cruising gear already, and hopefully better cared for boat. Things like water maker, auto pilot I would de-commision untill my use.

Cons - lot's of hassle getting it surveyed, then finding a charter company, getting first bookings, etc.

Buying an existing charter:

Pro's - simply pay the cash and have a boat sitting ready at the marina without the drama of the above including possible forward bookings. Rock up with beer and food and cruise off for a few weeks (forward bookings permitting) Customise the boat over a 1-2 year period as time permits.

Cons - I expect to spend about $50k on upgrades, most of which would unlikely be fitted to an existing charter - 1500rpm generator, water maker, auto pilot, radar, battery and alternator upgrades. This does give me an excuse to tinker around the boat while it is in charter but not booked.

I think getting one already in charter would be much less hassle and stress, and I can get on and enjoy the boat sooner without having to stuff around 4-6 weeks+ for survey.
Moonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 15:50   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonos View Post
Is it worth considering staying under 12 meters for mooring costs or would people not bother going just over?.
Marinas are very fussy about size. Particularly LOA. That includes the outside of the tender to the front of the anchor or prodder. So a 12 m cat may need a 13.5m marina berth. Moorings not so picky.

Your pros and cons are quite valid. I'd work out a charter business plan including expected bookings, booking companies, etc. BEFORE buying a boat in charter. If you're interested there are many sailing cats around the 12m size in skippered charter in SE Queensland. Most skippers are very approachable and will give you valuable insights into the business and the boat. Most operate production boats with some modifications.
The Whitsundays, as you probably know, is the major hub of the bare boat charter fleet. This includes several larger multinational operators. They prefer owners to give them new boats to operate, allowing owners to use for agreed periods and give variable returns and variably maintained boats back to owners when the contract is over. This is probably not your plan. Probably best left to those with very high incomes, tax problems and a desire to tell others at the club about flying to Hamilton Island to spend time on their yacht. The better examples of these ex charter cats may present a good buying opportunity.

BTW, most 12m cats, private or charter will have autopilots fitted.

Cheers.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 16:19   #21

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Moonos,

check out the restrictions on coxswains ticket. from distant memory it may only allow for sheltered waters daytime. To venture along the coast and reef I suspect you will need a masters ticket. Then again I havented looked it up.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 16:50   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Moonos,

check out the restrictions on coxswains ticket. from distant memory it may only allow for sheltered waters daytime. To venture along the coast and reef I suspect you will need a masters ticket. Then again I havented looked it up.

Cheers
Here is an interesting map of QLD areas and the coxswain 1NC licence.

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/~/media/ms...n_op_areas.pdf

BTW thanks for the yacht hub tip ozsailer, it is very handy
Moonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 13:28   #23

This thread is a little old now but I recently saw an Elite 12 up for sale which bought back a few memories (as I have owned 2 some years ago. A 1996 Owners version and a 2001 ex charter). I had many good times and can vouch for these as a well built cat. Both had foam cores in the hulls and overall the build quality was excellent (hence buying a second one). Bridge deck was on the low side, but so were most of the cats coming out of South Africa and many others, many of which have sailed a long way and I still see many people sailing in today. I sailed my first Elite to PNG, Indonesia, Thailand and back and sold it due to work commitments only to buy another some years later in which we sailed around Australia without incident. I would say they may get a bit uncomfortable in big seas, into the wind (what cat doesn't?), but otherwise we never felt uncomfortable or unsafe. Choose your weather window and learn how to sail her - This is a lot of boat for their price.
Donemydash is offline   Reply With Quote