Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-12-2011, 05:40   #31

Re: Opening cash offer. Minus 30 percent of asking price ?

Recent experience on a cat.

Advertised $135k.
Offered $110k.
A rough month of voyage and they didn't like the boat any more.
Re-advertised again at $85k and sold for $85k.

A couple of months back I was purchasing an aircraft for someone. Emailed and called quite a few people who were selling. Advertised usually around $70k, I'd tell them that our circumstances suggested that we might be able to afford low 60's and would they still be interested at that price, otherwise I'd walk away. Usually keeps them on the hook and you get comments that they might be able to come to a deal with me. After receiving photos or inspection, if I'm not happy, offer mid to high 50's. Sit on it for a couple of days and fair enough, they usually come back to me.

Advertised $72k. Sold $58k.
Advertised $69k. Offered at $55k. Not sold.

Not dis-similar to yachts really, they are both toys!

Last time I sold one of my toys, I advertised at $105k. People would ring and I simply stated that the price must start with at least a 9. That usually gave them a good idea of what was possible with the price. Funnily though, sold it for $90k :-)

Trick is to suggest a figure rather than an "offer" as such and see if they might be still interested. You can always go up, but very hard to go down!

Old 23-12-2011, 06:34   #32

On the subject of "market price"...
1) There is no market price unless there is a history of recent sales and more than one boat of the same/similar type listed for sale, or there is more than one buyer bidding on the same boat.

2) The market price for a unique boat with one perspective buyer is "whatever that someone is willing to pay" at the point in time.

Old 24-12-2011, 09:55   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Tacker

If I were you, Rob, I'd make an offer on this boat, an Outlandish 63, which will outrun your Outremer on the long haul out there on the blue water, and without offending in the meantime with a Godawful color scheme and a very unoriginal, not to say corny name, LOL. But seriously, you'll never find a production boat as well built as my Catbird Suite, see

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ran-70486.html

The way you do it is as follows: You make me an offer, and don't worry about offending me; I'm a big boy and can take it or leave it. If I'm not offended, then you come to New Zealand, well worth the trip anyhow (considering where you apparently are), and deposit 10% of the agreed upon price and pay for haul out so that you can survey (and you're a fool if you don't survey). Never mind the distance. You would be buying a custom boat, custom designed, construction personally supervised by world-renowned multihull designer as well as owners with boatbuilding and blue-water experience. If you buy a production boat, you'd better live next door to their factory if you want to get anything corrected, ever, never mind warranties. Don't get me wrong. I'm very happy to see more and more production catamarans. It's good for all of us multihullers, as well as for conversion of the half-boat crowd. But don't forget that there are many one-off cats out there that will stand the test of time.

Cheers, High Tacker

High Tracker,
I hope I don't offend you by not offering anything. I am not interested in your catamaran.

And I agree about colour and name.
But those can be changed easily. Especially as the purchase price is low so some money can be spent to personalise her.
BTW, I think the hull is not too bad. I am dutch and most dutchman like orange. It is our national colour.
But the total is a little over the top, I agree.

Hope you will find an interested buyer soon.

Rob
Old 24-12-2011, 10:22   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You dont want to settle any less than -30% on most boats. -50% wouildnt be out of the question. Of course it depends on the boat and the fairness in this market of the asking price. As mentioned above, a first ofer of 50% sets an expectation in the seller's mind. his first counter might be at -30% and you might settle at -40%

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 11:53   #35

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I love you guys, but..... The boat in question here is an Outremer 49. It has won just about every award a boat can win and just won another award this month. They cost over $700,000 new and that's in basic stripped mode. A new one will easily be a Million+ with all the bells and whistles. The cheapest asking price is the first one made in 2009 for $837,000. Advising a buyer to throw out $300K or even $500k is a waste of the buyers, sellers, and brokers time. If that was the case the broker or his associates would have already snatched it up. Remember this is not some 10 year old run of the mill boat of dubious history and value. It is "The Boat of the Year" and possibly the perfect marriage of form and function, luxury and speed. It is to me and everyone else that has ever seen one, been on one, sailed one, reviewed one, or read about one. Alas, I fall in the last category. What I'm trying to say is if you want the boat of the year then ya gotta pay and ya gotta be realistic. BOB
Old 24-12-2011, 23:33   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep

This is EXACTLY how we ended up with our boat:

To the broker: "We noticed that 'Merlin' is still for sale. It's WAY above our budget, which is $XXX,XXX. I don't want to waste your time, nor do I want you to waste Our time. If this is something that might work, let us know and we'll stop by.".
So are you saying you are the new owners of Merlin? Great cat. See you on the QLD coast in 2012.
Old 29-12-2011, 20:56   #37

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

There's a broker selling this boat, why don't you as them what the vendor is likely to accept as a reasonable offer?
You don’t have to believe them, but they will have a better idea than anyone on the forum.
Remember the broker wants to sell the boat and their job is to get the buyer and the vendor to agree on a price.
The way I like to start negotiations is to ask “is the price negotiable?”
In my last purchase the answer was no and I paid asking price.
I still believe I got the best deal in the world on my Lavezzi 40.
In the end it will come down to what you are prepared to pay and whether the vendor will accept that offer.
Anything else is pure speculation.
Good luck and remember as long as you are happy with the deal nothing else matters
Old 07-01-2012, 16:37   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
This is EXACTLY how we ended up with our boat:

To the broker: "We noticed that 'Merlin' is still for sale. It's WAY above our budget, which is $XXX,XXX. I don't want to waste your time, nor do I want you to waste Our time. If this is something that might work, let us know and we'll stop by.".
OK

I took your advice and offered accordingly.
Used your sentences.
Let's see what happens.
Old 07-01-2012, 17:26   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
You dont want to settle any less than -30% on most boats. -50% wouildnt be out of the question. Of course it depends on the boat and the fairness in this market of the asking price. As mentioned above, a first ofer of 50% sets an expectation in the seller's mind. his first counter might be at -30% and you might settle at -40%

I'm glad you said most boats or I will have to go off and raise my asking price.

50% Pffftt.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:54   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy

I'm glad you said most boats or I will have to go off and raise my asking price.

50% Pffftt.
Hey Cheechako is very smart and should be listened to.

I'll be over tomorrow with the $87.5k for Therapy - LOL...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 18:15   #41

Location: land in Sydney, boat in Canaries and soon to cross via Cape Verde Islands
Boat: Lagoon 400 S2
Re: Opening Cash Offer. Minus 30 Percent of Asking Price ?

It seems eminently sensible to know the recent selling price of similar boats. Obviously this can be very different from the last advertised price. It there a way to get this reliably from the net?
Old 14-01-2012, 18:24   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_rodwell View Post
It seems eminently sensible to know the recent selling price of similar boats. Obviously this can be very different from the last advertised price. It there a way to get this reliably from the net?

Short answer:

No
Old 14-01-2012, 18:51   #43

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Longer answer yes, if you pay. There is a SoldBoats portion of Yachtworld where brokers list the selling price. For $416 annually you can access that.
Boat and Yacht Sales, Buy Boats and Yachts - YachtWorld.com
Old 14-01-2012, 19:03   #44

Boat: MacGregor 25

Wow thanks for all the good advise. We are getting to the point for our next boat too and this will help. We have been looking for a while now and there is a ton of boats out there.
Old 15-01-2012, 00:38   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Longer answer yes, if you pay. There is a SoldBoats portion of Yachtworld where brokers list the selling price. For $416 annually you can access that.
Boat and Yacht Sales, Buy Boats and Yachts - YachtWorld.com

Is that correct? It was my understanding that it was only for someone in the field, ie; broker, surveyor. The form requests that information as well. From the link:
Quote:
To sign up now:1) Attach a copy of your Marine Survey Credentials AND2) Please print and fax application and credentials to 206-352-9406 or call us at 877-336-9527

Tags
offer

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: