Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2017, 12:22   #16

Re: one rudder catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
The central rudder has the same disadvantage as a central outboard, it tends to catch weeds which greatly decreases boat speed. Maybe having the rudder hung of a pod which extends below the waterline will deflect the weeds?
WEED IS WEED, SAME FOR ONE RUDDER, TWO RUDDERS, DAGGER BOARD, PROP ETC,,,
vanvan450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 12:27   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by multihullsailor6 View Post
I have a 11m cat with a single central lifting rudder which, when fully lowered, is about 1.3m deep. The rudder is also prebalanced. From a sailing perspective I cannot detect any negatives when comparing it to a two rudder set up. I have now sailed 9,000+ miles and never caught anything on the rudder - had a pod of delphins though in the Bay of Biscay playing their "touch the rudder game" with their snout!
at LAST ONE ANSWER TO MY QUESTION,,, THANKS, ANY PHOTOS,,, ALL THE BEST
Old 14-09-2017, 12:40   #18
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanvan450 View Post
WEED IS WEED, SAME FOR ONE RUDDER, TWO RUDDERS, DAGGER BOARD, PROP ETC,,,

Difference being, weeds float and most cats have their rudders and daggerboards below the waterline. I've never owned a cat with a single rudder but have owned a few catamarans with outboard setups and they all seemed to catch weeds at the waterline.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 12:43   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Difference being, weeds float and most cats have their rudders and daggerboards below the waterline. I've never owned a cat with a single rudder but have owned a few catamarans with outboard setups and they all seemed to catch weeds at the waterline.
much easier to clean from the stern platform,,,,
Old 14-09-2017, 12:48   #20
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
much easier to clean from the stern platform,,,,

Yes, only problem is you are constantly cleaning if there are a lot of weeds. I still think a single central rudder or outboard with a pod in front that runs in the water may deflect the weeds from catching on the rudder or outboard.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 13:50   #21
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I went sailing on Wind Warrior years ago, with a central rudder. They did it for easier beaching. It cranked. But it was jury rig for the charter business.

I've had both transom hung and spade rudders on cats. I think I vote transom hung, but it depends on the boat. Both have their problems; spade is more dependable... until you bend one or get a line caught. The later is the tie breaker on the Chesapeake.
Old 14-09-2017, 14:31   #22

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Note: TYPING IN ALL CAPS IS LIKE SHOUTING. Also, if you're not getting the types of answers that you wanted for a question, then you didn't phrase it properly. Or properly communicate you needs & desires to those reading your post. That, or folks just don't know... or care to respond based on your perceived attitude (the all caps thing).
You can alway restate it in another way, via another post in the same thread to try for more & better responses.

As to rudders not catching kelp. The next time folks sail though any area where there's a good amount of it, it's easy to wind up dragging a whole forest. Or to have the boat stop moving completely. Since much of it floats, & or grows on the water's surface.
Think San Diego, or the Sargasso Sea for example.

Kelp is a big enough problem that boats raced in areas where there's any kelp have purpose built kelp sticks for removing kelp from the rudder and keel. And quite a large percentage of racing boats have clear lexan windows in their hulls in order to allow the crew to look & see if the keel or rudder is fouled. Primarily by kelp, but also by lines or netting.

Plus, quite a large number of cruising boats have line cutters on their props & prop shafts to deal with snagged lines like from various types of fishing pots. And the number of companies which make such devices surely isn't shrinking. Thus the problem is quite real. And rudders are just as prone to this as are prop shafts.

Keep in mind too that if/when your rudder snags something substantial, perhaps even substantial enough to stop the boat while sailing along at 7kts. Then the loads on the rudder, or whatever boat part snagged it, will be huge. And with the extra lever arm provided by having a central rudder on a catamaran they'll be even bigger, including on the rudder's mounting hardware/bearings.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 14:57   #23

[QUOTE=UNCIVILIZED;2478559]Note: TYPING IN ALL CAPS IS LIKE SHOUTING. Also, if you're not getting the types of answers that you wanted for a question, then you didn't phrase it properly. Or properly communicate you needs & desires to those reading your post. That, or folks just don't know... or care to respond based on your perceived attitude (the all caps thing).
You can alway restate it in another way, via another post in the same thread to try for more & better responses.

As to rudders not catching kelp. The next time folks sail though any area where there's a good amount of it, it's easy to wind up dragging a whole forest. Or to have the boat stop moving completely. Since much of it floats, & or grows on the water's surface.
Think San Diego, or the Sargasso Sea for example.

Kelp is a big enough problem that boats raced in areas where there's any kelp have purpose built kelp sticks for removing kelp from the rudder and keel. And quite a large percentage of racing boats have clear lexan windows in their hulls in order to allow the crew to look & see if the keel or rudder is fouled. Primarily by kelp, but also by lines or netting.

Plus, quite a large number of cruising boats have line cutters on their props & prop shafts to deal with snagged lines like from various types of fishing pots. And the number of companies which make such devices surely isn't shrinking. Thus the problem is quite real. And rudders are just as prone to this as are prop shafts.

sorry . but nothing to do with my trade,,,, any one with a single rudder catamaran¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡
Old 14-09-2017, 21:15   #24

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat

Quote:
Here are two photos of my rudder set-up with the rudder being in the down position:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0009.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	436.1 KB
ID:	156091   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0023.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	390.8 KB
ID:	156092  

Old 15-09-2017, 01:41   #25

Quote:
Here are two photos of my rudder set-up with the rudder being in the down position:
Thanks for the photos, very interesting. was the single rudder a modification after launch? Looks to be the lashing points for an aft tramp on cross beam.
UpOnStands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 02:22   #26

Quote:
THANKS FOR THE PHOTOS,,, NICE LOOKING AND INTERESTING BOAT,,, AT LONGLAST SOME THING DIFFERENT FROM THE NORMAL ELECTRODOMESTIC FP, OR LAGOON,,,
Old 15-09-2017, 02:39   #27

remember that the central rudder will complicate launching and retrieving the tender.
The cat shown has a central longeron which lowers the position of the lower pintle and thus the stress on the rudder mounts.
UpOnStands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 02:53   #28

I'm just curious now why the intense interest in single rudder. Might help the discussion if we knew why you were looking for them.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 03:30   #29

Easy to beach!!!easy to maintain!!!!easy to control!!!!!
Old 15-09-2017, 03:58   #30

Quote:
Easy to beach!!!easy to maintain!!!!easy to control!!!!!
For the same strength, harder and more expensive to build, more likely to fail under normal conditions, tiller steering a 40' cat is going to be awkward so likely still has wheel steering and no easier to maintain.

And you can beach many twin rudder cats.

Still not seeing the point. I wouldn't not buy a cat because of it but it's not something I would seek out.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, rudder