Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 20:51   #196
Registered User
 
henryv's Avatar

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ontario
Boat: PDQ32 & FP Helia 44 on order
Posts: 242
It was a PDQ32 - the Coast Guard rescue footage is on U Tube.
__________________

__________________
henryv
henryv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 21:20   #197
cruiser

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Brisbane AUS
Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
Posts: 1,006
Does anyone have a link to the footage?
__________________

__________________
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 21:35   #198
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Boat: R & C Leopard 38 (2001)
Posts: 148


Dave
__________________
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 21:45   #199
DtM
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Out of the Office
Posts: 908
It seems they were in trouble long before they flipped and the crew was maybe not that experienced. Although having said that they were experienced enough to recognise that they were in trouble.
__________________
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:30   #200
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler
 
sarafina's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Francisco
Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Posts: 5,559
Images: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
So two cats have flipped, that we know of, during this thread.
How long before the question is asked..... Are cats safe offshore?
Don't know. How many monos have turned turtle in the last 21 days? The good news with monos is they *USUALLY* right them selves. Or sink...

Cats stay belly up in an embarrassing position, for all the world to see. Makes it easy to get bad press I bet...

my (admittedly limited) experience confirms the advice here. Reef early, reef often. The scariest moments I have ever had sailing were on a 40' tri that had an inexperienced captain who didn't anticipate tide and wind changes off Treasure Island and almost landed us on the western rocks...

He had me at the wheel while he tried to drop sail in a suddenly gusty wind. We were unable to turn up into the wind to facilitate this exercise because our prop was outta the water and we were skidding along the surface towards the VERY nearby shore. I figured out why I had no control when I leaned out over the back and saw the prop spinning. I couldn't hear it over the wind. At that point I put 3 totally novice sailors, passengers for all intents, over the high side until they were clutching the rails and feet were in the water. That finally pulled us down enough that I was able to bring us up into the wind and the captain was able to manhandle the sails down.

Scared the girls to death. Scared me and the captain too. I never sail past Treasure island without thinking about that day...
__________________
Sara

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 18:41   #201
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,894
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DtM View Post
It seems they were in trouble long before they flipped and the crew was maybe not that experienced. Although having said that they were experienced enough to recognise that they were in trouble.
Experienced enough to turn on the epirb but not experienced enough to put on life jackets. Hmmm.
__________________
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 21:49   #202
DtM
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Out of the Office
Posts: 908
Good point.

No doubt there is more to this than meets the eye. Well done the rescuers.
__________________
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 05:58   #203
Senior Cruiser
 
Toys_with_time's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Summer 1 sailing in the Aegean, summer 2 in Australia (earning $ to pay for summer 1)
Boat: FP Lipari 42, Katmazu
Posts: 218
Lipari recommended reefing points

In response to a few posts as to FP's recommended reefing points for Lipari, manual on 2010 plated Lipari gives (for apparent wind speeds):

Upwind
0-18 knots nil
18-24 1 reef, 2/3 jib
24-30 2 reefs, 1/2 jib
30-34 3 reefs 1/3 jib
34-40 3 reefs 1/5 jib OR main down, 1/10 jib
Over 40 Stiff drink or Pray

Downwind
0-15 knots nil
15-20 1 reef, 2/3 jib
20-25 2 reefs, 1/2 jib
25-30 3 reefs 1/3 jib OR 3 reefs 1/5 jib
30 - 35 main down, 1/10 jib
Over 40 Go surfing

(I admit poetic licence for the over 40 part, balance verbatim from the FP manual page 9, dated 30/06/09)

TwT
__________________
Toys_with_time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:49   #204
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SW Florida
Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Posts: 3,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toys_with_time View Post
In response to a few posts as to FP's recommended reefing points for Lipari, manual on 2010 plated Lipari gives (for apparent wind speeds):

Upwind
0-18 knots nil
18-24 1 reef, 2/3 jib
24-30 2 reefs, 1/2 jib
30-34 3 reefs 1/3 jib
34-40 3 reefs 1/5 jib OR main down, 1/10 jib
Over 40 Stiff drink or Pray

Downwind
0-15 knots nil
15-20 1 reef, 2/3 jib
20-25 2 reefs, 1/2 jib
25-30 3 reefs 1/3 jib OR 3 reefs 1/5 jib
30 - 35 main down, 1/10 jib
Over 40 Go surfing

(I admit poetic licence for the over 40 part, balance verbatim from the FP manual page 9, dated 30/06/09)

TwT
So, the question is:

Yeloya, do you still believe FP has responsibility for the incident you experienced since you were operating the vessel outside of their recommendations?
__________________
DotDun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:53   #205
Registered User
 
Eleven's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Southampton UK
Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Posts: 1,220
Images: 3
This is a very tender boat if those are the figures.
My own CRUISER needs a reef in the main, first of three, at about thirty kts appt but still sails well at 40+ with all sail set.
This might be a Volvo v Ferrari comparison but a Ferrari is not a CRUISER.
__________________
Ex Prout 31 Sailor, Now it's a 22ft Jaguar called 'Arfur' here in sunny Southampton, UK.
A few places left in Quayside Marina and Kemps Marina.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:15   #206
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Tender might be relative. Those mainsail recommendations are the same as those for our Manta (we have a different jib arrangement, but similar recommendations). I don't know of many boats where full sail in 30kts would be optimum. Full sail in 40+ is just asking for trouble on any boat.

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:23   #207
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SW Florida
Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Posts: 3,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
This is a very tender boat if those are the figures.
My own CRUISER needs a reef in the main, first of three, at about thirty kts appt but still sails well at 40+ with all sail set.
This might be a Volvo v Ferrari comparison but a Ferrari is not a CRUISER.
Is this the manufacturers recommendation for your boat, or just the way you sail it?

I believe that's the point of this whole thread. Once you stray outside the manufacturer's recommended operating range you should not attempt to hold them liable. Sure, these recommendations are probably conservative, I'm sure they've built a good margin for error (or idiot proofing depending on your perspective ).
__________________
DotDun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 14:07   #208
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Marmaris
Boat: FP Orana 2010, Lipari 2011, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013
Posts: 1,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
So, the question is:

Yeloya, do you still believe FP has responsibility for the incident you experienced since you were operating the vessel outside of their recommendations?
Well, first of all I don't keep anybody responsable for any thing. The reason I wrote to FP was to avoid anybody being hurt because of their design error. (my humble guest..)
I've just asked them to give a second look to this issue. As many forumers agreed to, the problem was a rudder stalling that was designed 42% smaller than their own and previous design on Fidji. (Not to mention the rudder axe which is well 3 ft aft on Fidji compared to Lipari..)
I hope they will carefully evaluate what has happened and draw their own conclusion.
The reef recommendations for FP (I assume for every cat) is by far too conservative and for a very good and understandable reasons.
I know many people will disagree but if I am a capitain with some experience on a catamaran, I put the reef on my own judgement based on the crew I have on board, the sea state, the overall behaviour of the wessel, the wheather forecast and so on. Of course I do take into consideration the manufacturer's recommendations as well but not only that..
Once again, the problem was the stalling rudder, hence, lost of directional stability. We all know that these boats are designed to handle up to 18 kts min which you can easily reach surfing down the waves even w/out any sail.. I am therefore saying (if the problem was really rudder stalling) even with hundreds reefs you would have had the same problem..
The biggest mistake was that I felt somehow that the rudder feedback was strange and I should have slowed down to find out what was the problem. Probably, someone with even more experience could have see what the problem was a couple of minutes earlier than me. I would never imagine that a company with such a good experience on catamarans and nice reputation could have made such a mistake...(If I were on a custom made cat, I would have definately slowed down earlier..)
For our monohull fans that can draw their own conclusion, all I can say is that despite this critical error the boat safely landed. How about the monuhulls that lost their keels and killed people ???

Cheers

Yeloya
__________________
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 14:19   #209
Eternal Member
 
imagine2frolic's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Las Brisas Panama AGAIN!
Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Posts: 4,508
Images: 123
I would never imagine that a company with such a good experience on catamarans and nice reputation could have made such a mistake...(If I were on a custom made cat, I would have definately slowed down earlier..)

One might possibly say the same thing about Toyota, and thier throttles. Just possible a custom cat may have behaved much better? Depends on the design I would think......i2f
__________________
SAILING is not always a slick magazine cover!
BORROWED..No single one of is as smart as all of us!
http://sailingwithcancer.blogspot.com/
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 17:50   #210
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SW Florida
Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Posts: 3,424
I disagree with your analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
Well, first of all I don't keep anybody responsable for any thing. The reason I wrote to FP was to avoid anybody being hurt because of their design error. (my humble guest..)
I've just asked them to give a second look to this issue. As many forumers agreed to, the problem was a rudder stalling that was designed 42% smaller than their own and previous design on Fidji. (Not to mention the rudder axe which is well 3 ft aft on Fidji compared to Lipari..)
I hope they will carefully evaluate what has happened and draw their own conclusion.
The reef recommendations for FP (I assume for every cat) is by far too conservative and for a very good and understandable reasons...
Apparently your assumption is not accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
I know many people will disagree but if I am a capitain with some experience on a catamaran, I put the reef on my own judgement based on the crew I have on board, the sea state, the overall behaviour of the wessel, the wheather forecast and so on. Of course I do take into consideration the manufacturer's recommendations as well but not only that..
Would you please state why you know better than the engineers at FP? Your profile lists you as a commercial vendor, are you a nautical engineer? A yacht broker? A charter broker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
Once again, the problem was the stalling rudder, hence, lost of directional stability. We all know that these boats are designed to handle up to 18 kts min which you can easily reach surfing down the waves even w/out any sail.. I am therefore saying (if the problem was really rudder stalling) even with hundreds reefs you would have had the same problem....
No, the problem was your lack of paying attention. When the weather helm overpowered the boat and you started the turn upwind, the apparent wind speed increased dramatically. The kinetic energy lifted the hull, not the wind. It's your fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
The biggest mistake was that I felt somehow that the rudder feedback was strange and I should have slowed down to find out what was the problem. Probably, someone with even more experience could have see what the problem was a couple of minutes earlier than me. I would never imagine that a company with such a good experience on catamarans and nice reputation could have made such a mistake...(If I were on a custom made cat, I would have definately slowed down earlier..)
For our monohull fans that can draw their own conclusion, all I can say is that despite this critical error the boat safely landed. How about the monuhulls that lost their keels and killed people ???

Cheers

Yeloya
If FP designed their boats as you wish, the light wind performance would be dreadful. Catamarans don't tell you when there is too much wind, you have to be smarter than the boat. Your desire to run 10-11 kts in a cruising catamaran caused your problem.
__________________

__________________
DotDun is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which Is More Forgiving - Cruising Monohull or Cruising Multihull maxingout General Sailing Forum 36 10-02-2010 06:41
Cruising Cat vs. Cruising Mono Performance ssullivan Multihull Sailboats 100 03-01-2010 14:05
on the verge... blove8 Meets & Greets 5 07-10-2007 15:18



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:44.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.