Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2014, 07:57   #61

Boat: Antares 44i
Re: OMG! We're about to build an Isara 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryguy67 View Post
I got the "okay" to post a few of the many new drawings of the Isara 45 today. The drawings are subject to minor changes and updates still. Each Isara is a semi-custom boat as well so anything can be adjusted per the buyers wishes. The layout shown is not of the owners version that we are getting. These are all I can post at this time.
Construction is quite delayed and we won't be making the boat show">Annapolis boat show this Fall. We've changed our delivery location to Miami and Isara is hoping to show our boat in the Miami show in February. From there we'll leave on our journey.
Looks good, BryGuy67.
Curious if you're going to leave the back of the cockpit open, or add something to block following seas and separate the dinghy from the cockpit area?
Also, have you figured out the davit system yet?
Will you have a BBQ? Many hang the BBQ off the back. Is there a place to do that on the 45?
Exciting to see more drawings, and we'll be at Miami next spring and look forward to stepping aboard.
You're brave and we hope you get the Prize Boat for your courage, being so early!
EllesBelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2014, 19:11   #62

Boat: having an Isara 45 cat built

Top Speed? I'm going to try to keep her under a hundred She's a cruiser, not a racer. I don't expect that Isaras will stand out in speed over the competition; but they do in luxury, quality, layout and technology (superior hybrid system, intelligent glass, etc.).

The question about the aft having an aft wall to block following seas is an interesting one and I think it calls for some input from those who have sailed cats a lot in nasty weather. Even though most cats have some sort of wall at the aft like you are describing, the actual hulls are typically still open (walk up the aft stairs and you are standing at the cockpit floor level)...and water could pour into the cockpit from there. I've done my share of cat sailing and have never seen that happen; not even close. Has anyone else out there had that happen? I suppose that even if it did happen then as long as the door to the salon was closed then it would wash right back out when you climb the next wave (plus there are scuppers right before the door). So is it really necessary? Chime in everyone...let's discuss this.
bryguy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:43   #63

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

Quote:
Top Speed? I'm going to try to keep her under a hundred She's a cruiser, not a racer. I don't expect that Isaras will stand out in speed over the competition; but they do in luxury, quality, layout and technology (superior hybrid system, intelligent glass, etc.).
You say that now but I can't tell ya how many times I've heard "ya she's beautiful and comfortable but I just wish was a little bit faster." I still admire the Heck out of you guys for doing what you're doing!
Old 01-06-2014, 10:59   #64

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:

The question about the aft having an aft wall to block following seas is an interesting one and I think it calls for some input from those who have sailed cats a lot in nasty weather. Even though most cats have some sort of wall at the aft like you are describing, the actual hulls are typically still open (walk up the aft stairs and you are standing at the cockpit floor level)...and water could pour into the cockpit from there. I've done my share of cat sailing and have never seen that happen; not even close. Has anyone else out there had that happen? I suppose that even if it did happen then as long as the door to the salon was closed then it would wash right back out when you climb the next wave (plus there are scuppers right before the door). So is it really necessary? Chime in everyone...let's discuss this.
Very unlikely to get pooped on a cat. I've done a good bit of ugly weather sailing in cats and only once had water come aboard from astern. This was in 12' seas from the starboard quarter. One broke right as it approached the transom steps and a few gallons of water found its way all the way up the steps. Maybe at most 3 gallons into the cockpit, which drained quickly.

I've had more come over the deck from the bows, making its way all the way over the deckhouse a couple of times, but in my experience cats shed water like a duck...and an open transom will certainly shed water better than a big jaccuzzi sized closed cockpit. Just build her with a proper seaworthy door.

So, I would vote "yes" on the open transom. Way more likely to be useful for typical cruising use, than a liability, unless you plan to do a lot of sailing in hurricanes.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:08   #65

bryguy67
I did visit the Isara website and I must admit that their designs are, indeed, fantastic. Wow! And believe me I have looked at hundreds of designs. Nice choice. Still curios about the top speed and bridge deck clearance though. Please do keep us posted as you proceed.
Thanks,
Old 01-06-2014, 11:34   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Here we're at it in 20-25kts overtaking catamarans at 10-12kts STW
Really??
Old 01-06-2014, 19:33   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Very unlikely to get pooped on a cat. I've done a good bit of ugly weather sailing in cats and only once had water come aboard from astern. This was in 12' seas from the starboard quarter. One broke right as it approached the transom steps and a few gallons of water found its way all the way up the steps. Maybe at most 3 gallons into the cockpit, which drained quickly.

I've had more come over the deck from the bows, making its way all the way over the deckhouse a couple of times, but in my experience cats shed water like a duck...and an open transom will certainly shed water better than a big jaccuzzi sized closed cockpit. Just build her with a proper seaworthy door.

So, I would vote "yes" on the open transom. Way more likely to be useful for typical cruising use, than a liability, unless you plan to do a lot of sailing in hurricanes.
That's what I was thinking too; I know exactly what you mean by a Jacuzzi cockpit; out last cat was like that with very small scuppers. Of course the only water that came in was from the bows as you mentioned. No plans here to sail in hurricanes; want to build a safe cat just in case.
Old 01-06-2014, 19:43   #68

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
Really??
Believe him. even with a bit of embellishment.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 19:54   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
bryguy67
I did visit the Isara website and I must admit that their designs are, indeed, fantastic. Wow! And believe me I have looked at hundreds of designs. Nice choice. Still curios about the top speed and bridge deck clearance though. Please do keep us posted as you proceed.
Thanks,
I was happy with the speeds from our PDQ32 (5-7.5 knots avg) so if I can get 6-10 Kts from the new boat I feel that I'll be satisfied. The bridge deck clearance on the Isara 50 looked great; we expect the 45 to be good too. The designers "get it."
Old 03-08-2014, 11:27   #70

Is there an update on the 45?
jacksin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:57   #71

Update? Well....I may have posted that we are delayed with a hopeful new delivery date of February in Miami...shooting for the Miami boat show. The Manufacturer has a lot more at stake for that deadline than I do, but my wife and I are really excited about getting started. Busy right now with the youngest moving to College and the oldest girl getting married, but after that we may get cabin fever pretty bad. I may have accidently uploaded some basic drawings to this post...oops, wasn't supposed to
Coste Design is not used to designing such small boats as the 45...so when Isara's director asked about a full size refrigerator they had a great attitude about it and somehow just made it happen. What?! The location is simply perfect. Typically big cats have a galley refrig, a galley freezer, a cockpit refrig, another freezer somewhere else on the boat, and a cockpit ice maker. This one big refrig/freezer with ice/water in the door will be all we will need; not sure of the difference between combined weight or energy usage of the one big unit vs several smaller units. We should chat about that in this forum.
We are hull #3 and they are JUST starting lamination of hull #1. They have a large solid team working on them because there are 4 orders for the 45 now. With that team the process is supposed to go faster, so they may catch up some. Hope so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-02-03 at 23.40.23.png
Views:	318
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	86146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Isara 45 big refrig drawing.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	86147  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Isara 45 g  salon drawing.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	86148  
Old 05-08-2014, 17:48   #72

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

I looked at using a regular domestic fridge but the name of the game is insulation if you are contemplating cruising in the tropics, as we are. Especially for freezer, the insulation quality and amount is vital or the compressor will just run continuously and drink the amps. So you need about R30 insulation with top opening for the freezer.

The Plumbing forum in tech & engineering section has many contributions on refrigeration system issues from very experienced cruisers. Well worth a read through those posts.
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 18:10   #73

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
I looked at using a regular domestic fridge but the name of the game is insulation if you are contemplating cruising in the tropics, as we are. Especially for freezer, the insulation quality and amount is vital or the compressor will just run continuously and drink the amps. So you need about R30 insulation with top opening for the freezer.

The Plumbing forum in tech & engineering section has many contributions on refrigeration system issues from very experienced cruisers. Well worth a read through those posts.
There is a domestic fridge/freezer that some of the high end boat builders are using, Sun Frost. Hard to beat their efficiency.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 22:20   #74

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Is a Sunfrost Fridge worth it?

Refrigerators, Home Compost Bins, Composting Toilets and Sustainable Living Products - Sun Frost
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 22:49   #75

Boat: too many

That was educational, thanks.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote