Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2013, 13:40   #16

Boat: PDQ Capella 36
New PDQ 36 owner here. I have set foot on a couple geminis, during the purchase process.

I found the hulls on the Gemini awfully narrow. If you are out of shape, they will be close quarters and you probably can't scoot around someone in the galley. Obese, it will just suck.

PDQ have excellent construction. I was particularly happy with the solid construction from the deck down. It's hard to say anything about a 20 year old boat in the abstract, it very much comes down to the boats history and the quality of the care put into it. The boat will be fine, but the equipment and rigging may be aged or modern.

I thought I would care about not having a diesel. Mitigating factors in my view: 1. you can run the high-thrust outboards at full output more or less indefinitely, diesels props are designed for the engine running at 50% 2. You can charge with a dedicated generator, solar, or wind. 3. Maintenance and swapping is considerably easier. 4. in the less developed world, outboard repair knowledge is easier to come by.

Happy hunting.
Svan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 14:32   #17
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Re: Older PDQ 32 (36?) vs Newer Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svan View Post
I thought I would care about not having a diesel. Mitigating factors in my view: 1. you can run the high-thrust outboards at full output more or less indefinitely, diesels props are designed for the engine running at 50% 2. You can charge with a dedicated generator, solar, or wind. 3. Maintenance and swapping is considerably easier. 4. in the less developed world, outboard repair knowledge is easier to come by.

Happy hunting.
Ummm not exactly... Diesels have a max horse power rating and a continuous HP rating. Continuous is the expected running speed of the engine in RPM, theoretically forever. For my Yanmars the max rating is 3600 RPM and the Continuous is 3400 RPM, which is what my boat is propped for.

My engines have baby alternators, yet even these small alternators crank out 40 amps apiece for a total of 80 amps of charging. Yes I have solar as well, but not every day is sunny and bright, even here in Florida.

As for maintenance, it depends on how handy you are. I've pulled an engine and had it resting in my cockpit in 45 minutes. I've rebuilt a Yanmar diesel myself and it just isn't that hard as they are a lot less complicated than a gas engine. Or that expensive ... as a complete rebuilt with engine mounts, piston, valves and bearings along with a cylinder honing and a valve job and if I remember correctly the entire project was less than $1500. I'm good for the next 8,000 hours of motoring. I hadn't turned a wrench since college (over 40 years ago). Oh, and I had fun!

I understand the 2 schools of thought. But in living with my diesels the last 8 years, I wouldn't trade them for anything (except larger ones).
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 15:58   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svan View Post
New PDQ 36 owner here. I have set foot on a couple geminis, during the purchase process.

I found the hulls on the Gemini awfully narrow. If you are out of shape, they will be close quarters and you probably can't scoot around someone in the galley. Obese, it will just suck.

PDQ have excellent construction. I was particularly happy with the solid construction from the deck down. It's hard to say anything about a 20 year old boat in the abstract, it very much comes down to the boats history and the quality of the care put into it. The boat will be fine, but the equipment and rigging may be aged or modern.

Happy hunting.
I prefer an outboard but your idea conflicts with conventional wisdom. I've always heard:
- Gas engines don't like to run at more than 50-60% throttle for long periods.
- Diesel engines don't like to run at more than 80% throttle for long periods.

We solved it by buying an outboard powered Gemini. With the propane fridge, we use very little battery power and the solar cells keep up just fine and I can always pull start the motor if the batteries die. Since the outboard steers, it's very good around the docks.

I'm too large (6'3" and too large around). I have to turn sideways going thru the doorways but otherwise not much of a problem. Even on the bigger 40-50' boats, it's not comfortable passing people in the hulls. There usually isn't a lot of reason to push past anyway.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 16:02   #19
Marine Service Provider

No question in my mind... PDQ if you can swing it... Check out my friend's blog about pdq's...

I wouldn't even consider a Gemini a cat...

Www.zerotocruising.com
Old 21-04-2013, 19:20   #20

I have a question. What do you have to do to change the lower unit lube on an outboard powered cat? Do you have to pull the boat? Do you unbolt the motor and lift it with something? My outboard calls for it to be changed every 100hrs. Thanks.
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 19:23   #21

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
On the PDQ I use the main halyard to lift the engine and drain and fill while it hangs there.

Relatively easy job; even easier when I get the newer Yamahas with the new style cable brackets.
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 20:03   #22

Thanks amytom. I figured something like that. Fair Winds.
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 16:32   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by haw1961 View Post
I have a question. What do you have to do to change the lower unit lube on an outboard powered cat? Do you have to pull the boat? Do you unbolt the motor and lift it with something? My outboard calls for it to be changed every 100hrs. Thanks.
We tilt the motor up slid under in the dingy.
Then using a heavy duty large garbage bag slide it up around the lower unit to catch any drips and we put a plastic tub inside under the lower unit and drain away.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:35   #24

Boat: having an Isara 45 cat built

We've just sold our beloved PDQ32 after 4 years of sailing her. I think you should step foot on both the Gemini and PDQ before you buy, just as we did. On paper, I really thought the Gemini was the way to go; what a great layout!. But after seeing the condition of several used Gemini's and looking inside the cupboards and such, we got very concerned about the build quality. One look at a PDQ and we were sold. I truly believe an older PDQ will cost less to maintain than a newer Gemini. The quality of each little part is just plain better and lasts longer...period. Enjoy your adventure either way.
bryguy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 16:32   #25

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Just a few more points about powering. I have a Seawind with two 9.9 outboards. It is common for boats, even other similar size cats, to pass me going in and out of the harbor. Top speed is just over seven knots. I have also had one of the outboard props lift out of the water in some sea conditions. Geminis and Catalacs are usually faster than me under power. On the other hand when I trim the big square top and lift the outboards up in the pods I leave them in the dust.

Also keep in mind two screws amidship, be they outboards or whatever, allow a cat to turn 180 degrees in its own length. I love how easy it is to park the boat where I want it.

As to inboards or outboards my take is both have their good points, but a lot depends on your personal style. Inboards do have more power to bash through big waves, wind, or current. But if you are a gentleman sailor who does not bash through things outboards have plenty of power. I normally only motor a few minutes to open water, put up the sails, and cut the motor; if the weather is bad I stay in the harbor. There is really no right or wrong answer to this issue, just personal style.

Also keep in mind the Gemini has an advantage in skinny water, something there is a lot of in some places like the Bahamas. But a PDQ has a lot less to worry about as long as you have 3.5 feet of water or so. Again no right or wrong, just personal style.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gemini, pdq