Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-10-2011, 17:17   #31

Re: Older Horstman Trimaran

Thanks Thom, I,m looking at scaling the 31' to the 32'6" range. Did you scale the sail plan as well for "Small Tri". Rick

Old 18-10-2011, 11:02   #32

Robert Small built the boat (it's in Ed's Trimaran Construction book, the one being lifted over the house by a crane). I believe Ed started with his 27'9, added a station and widened it. I imagne the sail plan was increased as well. I seem to recall the mast was 34' from deck.

Old 29-02-2012, 20:11   #33

Boat: Haida 26

I'm seriously looking at building the 27-9 because I cannot find one that I like enough to buy. That being any tri in this size range. Will be waiting for the study plans to arrive to see if this is the one. I've built many boats in my life, my dad was a ship-wright and comm. fisherman by trade. Sounds like these are great boats from what I've picked up in this thread..
..Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 21:27   #34

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Back in the 60s I deliverd serveral Tris of a Piver 41 ft design with canoe sterns on the Amas, I believe the design was really some one elses, who worked with Piver. Anyway I deliverd 3 of them from Vancouver Island to 3 different location on the west coast. They sailed wonderfuly fast and easy. handled well pointed pretty high and tacked well and easely. One of those trips was during the Columbus week storm !!all I can say is it went down hill great trailing a couple hundred ft of 2 inch nylon rode streamed from the amas, and an OLD oil bag I found on board useing a hankerchef storm gib, got the wind from the north east an hour or so after rounding the Head Tryed to get in columbia river but it was closed so just kept going south west till it blew out !! hell of a great sea boat ! Love to have one now but never find one for sale thats worth buying !! If I find a good one I would buy it in a big flash !! LOL I like some tris alot !! just my 2 cents Bob and Connie
Old 02-03-2012, 15:47   #35

Bob & Connie, might that tri have been one from Lauren Williams, a local Bay area tri designer from the 60's who originally worked with Piver? I have old mags (Trimariner mags) that have ads from Williams with canoe stern tris. He also was selling a set of "standard details" such as hatches and other stuff you see on most boats, making it easier for home builders.
Old 04-03-2012, 17:09   #36

"the Horstman designs take the deck and accomodation all the way to the floats which makes them difficult to sail at best."...

Really, 'PhantomBoatWork'? Ever actually sailed on a Horstman? Having owned three of them over 30 years and single-handed from Honolulu to the States on my 41', I have some experience with TriStars.

The flush deck actually makes more sense than any other design I've seen. It lets air slip unfettered over the deck without having to bump up and over all the warts and step-ups most other tris have. Speaking of deck configuration, early Horstmans had bows that dipped down. This was not well received by Ed's customer base so he eventually bent to this pressure and raised the bows. I have only owned early versions because I believe Ed got it right in the beginning, ie; the lowered bows allow air to slip more easily across at the moment one wants it to do so.

I've never missed a tack and I feel my early 'bow-down' design is a factor!

Take a good long look at Horstman trimarans (Vicki Brock's 45' excepted)...people just do not mess them up by adding 'phone booths or extra deck appendages. They are well designed as Ed drew them.

I would not feel comfortable on any other tri...let alone any other boat... crossing any ocean. These are strong, safe, comfortable boats.

Thom W
31' Small Tri
41' Triumph
39' Crossroads
Old 07-09-2012, 13:35   #37

Thomwessels,
I am thinking about building a stretched tristar as well. Did you modify it yourself or did you have Ed predesign it? The 30-31ft range looks just right for starters(me) but I would like it to carry the fast hull lines from the 27,9.
Ty,
Mike
Old 07-09-2012, 17:58   #38

Boat: 44 CC Marples design trimaran

Thomwessels, I stand corrected. I have sailed on my brother-in-laws Horstman tri, and briefly on some friends Penumbra. I find myself guilty of perpetuating an opinion as fact. I have a fair bit of sailing experience on the Constant Camber and Searunners and how they perform, and perhaps not enough on the Horstman tri's to be qualified to extend a comparison. I was not impressed with my brother in laws boat, as he made some rather substantial modifications that probably affected its performance. Penumbra, on which I sailed briefly many years ago was a jewel inside, and immaculate on the outside. That being said, I was somewhat unimpressed with both boats windward ability and windage. Horstman designs are robust, well designed and certainly well respected and have many impressive voyages to their credit. Me? I like the Searunner design for my applications. I hope that we can agree to disagree. Some people like Bach, some like Dylan. Personally, I wish that there were many more people designing and building tri's of all different kinds and trying all kinds of different configurations. Too many of the experimental cutting edge designs are being left behind in favor of the super high tech (and super high price) factory built trimarans.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:50   #39

Can anyone guess the speed at sustained wind of the horstman tris: 27.9 ,Toms stretched "small tri", the 31 cruiser, 31xr-35xr's?
-Mike
Old 11-09-2012, 12:14   #40

Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"

Mike,
My F-31 does 110% of wind speed with a main hull / beam ratio of about 11:1. The Tristars are about 8- 8 1/2:1 and I would guess about 60% of wind speed. That is long on guess but similar to a modern cruising cat. Dave
Old 11-09-2012, 17:26   #41

Boat: Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

The first old Horstmann tri I saw pictures of was in Hawaii and was at first sight a Piver with centerboards in the amas--apparently it had sailed there in a race and was well placed.

Subsequently I have seen only the ones with the deck extended over the amas--and I think it is a great idea to do this, adding strength and improving the aerodynamics.

I sail a Piver which is about forty-two feet long and has a laminar profile--as Piver intended it should. At low wind speeds I am long gone while others are still on the pick--and it will sail at wind speed if the boat is not overloaded.

If a tri is only doing a bit better than half the wind speed, then I think there is way too much weight aboard for the size of the boat. My $0.02 worth.
Old 11-09-2012, 19:05   #42

Thankyou Dave and Mike,
That F31 sure is fast! Hopefully if kept light like Dave says, a horstman (xr) would do a little better? Any thoughts on stretching the 27'9 4-5ft without widening it at all?
-Mike
Old 11-09-2012, 20:46   #43

Boat: Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

If you wish to stretch a design you will also have to alter the amas--otherwise they will be driven deeper into the water by the extra sail you will probably be carrying. As well you may have to widen the beam of the boat a little--which when all is done is similar to buying the plans for a larger tri and not having the problems of resale a one-off design may have.

I have seen many amended boats over the years--and in almost all cases the amendments have brought in other problems unforeseen in the original enthusiasm of gaining a longer waterline length.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:47   #44
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

Old thread, but thought I would share this. The accommodations and decks look enormous! At 5 tons It is still much lighter than a production cat of the same size.

Used Horstman for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub

Looks kinda cool from the front.

A bit unwieldy from the side.

Old 06-04-2014, 20:45   #45

Bump to an old thread, but has anyone seen this one in person yet? My interest is definitely piqued.

1987 Horstman 50 Tristar Trimaran for Sale (19124) in Napa, CA - Specs and Photos - POP Yachts

I'm particularly impressed with the layout of the accommodations in the amas. Anyone have any history on this particular tri?

Tags
trimaran

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: